Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-19-2003, 09:07 AM

I did a search of the forums and didn't find much info on this subject but if it has been posted before please forgive me. I am interested in buying a 66 or 67 tempest or lemans and it seems that the majority of these cars have auto tranny's in them and I want 4 speed. How hard is it to convert an automatic tranny to a manual one? Can you purchase kits for this or is it best to find a complete set up out of another car? One last thing, how much do you have to modify the floor of the car to make the manual tranny fit?

Thanks for the info,

Nathan
72 Luxury Lemans

"I see", the blind man said peeing into the wind, "it all comes back to me now."

"every time i learn somthing new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."
Old 05-19-2003, 09:07 AM

I did a search of the forums and didn't find much info on this subject but if it has been posted before please forgive me. I am interested in buying a 66 or 67 tempest or lemans and it seems that the majority of these cars have auto tranny's in them and I want 4 speed. How hard is it to convert an automatic tranny to a manual one? Can you purchase kits for this or is it best to find a complete set up out of another car? One last thing, how much do you have to modify the floor of the car to make the manual tranny fit?

Thanks for the info,

Nathan
72 Luxury Lemans

"I see", the blind man said peeing into the wind, "it all comes back to me now."

Old 05-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Um,
Just add up the $$$$$!
It can be done. In fact I have the pedals and linkage and such.
However,
It's so much cheaper to use a nice built 350 or a 400 auto and install it.
The shifter alone new runs around 275.00
A good used 4-speed 450.00

Usually I'm found working on my Pontiac. If you want to find me Look for the white picket fence and all the old Pontiacs parked outside. And the half dissembled engine sprawled all over the driveway!

Old 05-19-2003, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

I'm doing the same to a 66 Tempest. Picked up the shifter, tranny and flywheel from a 76 Trans Am, all for $300. Not as good as the Muncies but it will do for now.
Had the clutch components from years back, bought the pedals on ebay, they are getting hard to find.
Its not that tough and if you shop around, the parts are out there.

Old 05-19-2003, 03:27 PM

It's easy to do, the biggest expense is the trans finding a muncie that is in good shape for under $1000 is the hard part pedals are available repro Pete Serio has shifters, have to weld countershaft bracket on I did the whole thing in a day after gathering the parts

Old 05-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Suspended

You,ll need a z-bar for the motor side also a u shaped piece that either welds to or bolts to frame to operate it!! Can be a pain in the but to line up but one good afternoon to change pedals and rod plus z-bar!! pretty straight forward!! oh ya maybe a 6 pack of beer and 2 stitches also LOL kidding just kidding!!

Old 05-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm doing this right now to my 69 bird found a donor car with complete 4-sp setup muncie and all for $350 just need a shifter if you can find a donor you know you have all the parts and where they go when putting them together.

Jerry Tallman

Old 05-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Senior Chief

I'm fairly early in the process of converting my '72 LeMans from a TH350 to a Tremec TKO II 5 spd. Performance Years sells most of the pedals/clutch linkage parts needed to do the conversion, in fact I placed my order a couple days ago. You can order their catalog from this site and you can download a PDF version of it, too. I don't have any of the parts yet, so I can't tell you from experience how well things are going yet. It isn't going to be a cheap conversion, but it will be a lot of fun when it's done (hopefully mid-summer).

'72 LeMans 2Dr Hardtop
My first car, owned since 1980. Let the enhancements begin.
---------------------------
'96 Corvette Grand Sport (#470 out of 1000 produced)
LT4 w/ couple of breathing mods, 6spd

'96 Corvette Grand Sport (#470 of 1000 built)
Mildly modded LT4, 6spd
'07 Corvette Z06
Mildly modded LS7, 6spd
'67 Chevelle Convertible
LS6 (405HP Z06), 700R4
Old 05-19-2003, 08:22 PM

GS470,

I would love to see the details of that build up. That would be exactly what I would like to have in this 66 or 67. I still have to find a car first but I thought that before I bought one I would see how hard it would be to switch the tranny's. If you look at PY member staged67gspwr that car is exactly what I would like to build with a 455 and a 4 or 5 spd.

I noticed that you are in Ham Lake, MN. I grew up in Maple Grove, MN and I also have a 72 lemans. The next time my wife and I are back in Minnesota for a while I would love to take a look at your car and the install of the tranny. My car is up in Detroit Lakes, MN at my in-laws. We are trying to relocate back to Minnesota from Michigan. Know of anybody looking for an entry level manufacturing engineer?

Thanks fo the replys everybody,

Nathan
72 Luxury Lemans