Old 10-18-2000, 06:47 PM

What adhesive do you use for the console woodgrain and the metal plate under the woodgrain. I am in the process of putting the metal and the woodgrain back on the console
Tim

Old 10-18-2000, 06:47 PM

What adhesive do you use for the console woodgrain and the metal plate under the woodgrain. I am in the process of putting the metal and the woodgrain back on the console
Tim

Old 10-19-2000, 11:24 AM
Administrator

If you are re-using the original metal plate and original woodgrain panel, I would recommend 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive. I can't remember ever seeing the original woodgrain separate from the metal though???

Old 10-19-2000, 09:45 PM

The old woodgrain was peeling bad at the edges, and the metal plate finally came loose. Thanks Ccass
Tim

Old 10-20-2000, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Ok, that makes more sense. The woodgrain peeling on the edges is common and there's not much you can do to re-glue. If that's the case, you want to carefully sand down the edges of the wood so that you can apply a new woodgrain kit over the original. Be carefull with the metal backing. Once it's kinked or bent, it's just about impossible to straighten.

Old 10-20-2000, 10:31 AM
Senior Chief

Why try to sand down the old woodgrain so that you can apply the new woodgrain over the old?

If you have the metal base and old woodgrain off the console, paint remover does a quick job of removing the old woodgrain. Then you have a smooth metal surface to apply the new woodgrain with no distortions under it.

Old 10-21-2000, 07:54 PM

Ccass and Bob, you guys are ok in my book! I will definitely get the 3m super adhesive
Tim