Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, my father-in-law and I have finally made some progress on my rollbar install, so I'm going to start this post and continue adding updates as we go.

The major hangup at this point has been forming the reinforcing plates to conform to the rocker panels. I managed to make some decent cardboard patterns, and my father-in-law and I bent the plates up on a metal brake this weekend. I only managed to screw up one of them by marking it backwards.

Today we got the plates for the main hoop fully welded in, and the main hoop tacked to the plates. The hoop ended up about 1/4" below the headliner in the middle, and is touching the headliner at the corners (since the roof of the car slopes slightly). I would have liked it to be ever so slightly higher in the middle, but I think it's plenty fine as is.

Pictures!

The reinforcing plates welded to the rockers:

The top of the hoop--I smartly painted it BEFORE putting it in the car, since there'd be no way to get to the top of it once installed.

Side view. Excuse the trashed weatherstripping.

We lined the hoop up with the edge of the door opening, and levelled it with a magnetic angle gauge. The placement of the hoop will allow the rear seat armrests to be re-installed. Yay!

Old 05-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, my father-in-law and I have finally made some progress on my rollbar install, so I'm going to start this post and continue adding updates as we go.

The major hangup at this point has been forming the reinforcing plates to conform to the rocker panels. I managed to make some decent cardboard patterns, and my father-in-law and I bent the plates up on a metal brake this weekend. I only managed to screw up one of them by marking it backwards.

Today we got the plates for the main hoop fully welded in, and the main hoop tacked to the plates. The hoop ended up about 1/4" below the headliner in the middle, and is touching the headliner at the corners (since the roof of the car slopes slightly). I would have liked it to be ever so slightly higher in the middle, but I think it's plenty fine as is.

Pictures!

The reinforcing plates welded to the rockers:

The top of the hoop--I smartly painted it BEFORE putting it in the car, since there'd be no way to get to the top of it once installed.

Side view. Excuse the trashed weatherstripping.

We lined the hoop up with the edge of the door opening, and levelled it with a magnetic angle gauge. The placement of the hoop will allow the rear seat armrests to be re-installed. Yay!