Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 04-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I am new to Chevy engines, I was wondering if someone could briefly summarize the differences among the various 4 bbl intakes for Chevies. Street intakes, not race units. How are the factory cast iron units? Are certain years better than others, just like with Pontiacs? Who makes the best aluminum street intake?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I am new to Chevy engines, I was wondering if someone could briefly summarize the differences among the various 4 bbl intakes for Chevies. Street intakes, not race units. How are the factory cast iron units? Are certain years better than others, just like with Pontiacs? Who makes the best aluminum street intake?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:06 PM

Dave the factory cast iron stuff is junk go with a edelbrock performer or a performer rpm. One of those intakes would make good power for you[ ckeck the rpm range you want to be in] I have used both of these intakes and loved them both. jim

Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Jim, thanks for the reply. What is so bad about the factory cast iron units? The reason I ask is that I have a guy who is willing to give me one for free if I drive to get it. Basically, my Lemans has a 305 2bbl, and I am looking to give it a bit more power.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 AM

The only way to get more power out of a 305 is to replace it with something else!

11:89 @ 111.11
Old 05-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah yeah, I know that the 305 is the crappiest of the Chevy motors!

It is much quicker and easier and cheaper to throw on a 4 bbl carb and intake than to find a good 350 motor and swap it in. For a daily driver, the little 305 has enough power for me...my fiance drives a '78 Monarch with an anemic 250 six, so the 305 accelerates like a rocket compared to that!

So, the 305 will stay for a while!

Old 05-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave - why not acquire one of the Pontiac 350's guys on this forum badmouth when they put in 455's? I'll bet a Pontiac 350 could be acquired for very little outlay.

On the other hand, to get the most out of a bowtie 305; a body change might be in order. Placing the 305 in a VW beetle or an MGB might make it run pretty well

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon, the 350 idea is interesting. But, how much more powerful is a Pontiac 350 as compared to a Chevy 305? The 350 gets almost as much bad press from the Pontiac people as the 305 gets from the Chevy people.

BTW, did you receive the PM that I sent you about a week or so ago?

Old 05-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave - PM??? How do I access a PM on this forum??? I guess the answer is no, I haven't received it.

What's wrong with email (unless you use earthlink then an explanation is unnecessary).

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Jon, to check PMs, you go to the toolbar menu at the top of the forums and click on the one for "Go" then select "My Space" and then "Private Messaging". When someone sends you one, there should be a flashing tab on that forum toolbar that says "New PM". Anyway, check it out, who knows how many you have in there!

I'll send e-mails from now on.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:39 PM

the major diff between the 305 and 350 is the bore.

the 305 isn't a bad engine [for a chevy] and will get respectible milage.

i'd look for one of the early 80's aluminum units or as stated above an egr eldebrock.

the cast units will work but don't flow quite as well as the alum units.

for a carb see if you can find a quad off of a non turbo 301 pontiac.

the economy will suprise you.

i have one in an 81 1/2 ton truck that will pull 20 mpg with no problem with a 4spd od man trans. this isn't hwy driving either.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info, Mike. I had no idea about the 301 carbs and their ability to get decent mileage.

I'll start watching Ebay. Since this is a daily driver, I don't need gobs of power. Just decent acceleration and decent mileage.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, Mike, that carb is a Quadrajet? What about it allows it to get better economy than other Quadrajets?

Old 05-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiacmuscle

IMHO...The 267 is the crappiest Chevy ever made and Dave; I f you really want a Pontiac 354 I have one that was a runner when pulled and always stored inside.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Josh, nice to see you in here.

I'm pretty ignorant of Chevy engines, so that 267 you mention might indeed be the worst of the breed. Maybe the 305 is just the most talked about crappy Chevy engine. I dunno, I only drove this car for a week before pulling the suspension apart, but I didn't mind how it performed.

Let me do some research into the Pontiac 350 option. I'd like to see how fuel economy and performance from one of those enginse might compare to that of the 305. I also have to see what is involved in the sawp. How much do you want for the 354?

Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catalina Dave:
BTW, Mike, that carb is a Quadrajet? What about it allows it to get better economy than other Quadrajets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jetting, and it works well with the chevy.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey There Dave;
Since youve been so helpful with the Catalina Deal....you can gave the 354. Pulled from a '69 Lemans Convrt; dont think its original. The carb looks newer and Ive always had it stored in my garage under cover. Let me know if you want it...you have my contact info. Have a Great Weekend Dude!

JM

Old 05-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also Its a 2bbl.