Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-21-2002, 12:29 AM

I have a 68 Goat with a resonably modified 400. I run high test with octane booster. I've read some articles that say octane boost is a waste of money and sometimes can even be harmful. Does anyone have an opinon on this subject. I just figured that since these engines were originally designed for much higher octane ratings that octane booster is a must with 11:1 compression. Also what kinds have you had the best results with?

Old 02-21-2002, 12:29 AM

I have a 68 Goat with a resonably modified 400. I run high test with octane booster. I've read some articles that say octane boost is a waste of money and sometimes can even be harmful. Does anyone have an opinon on this subject. I just figured that since these engines were originally designed for much higher octane ratings that octane booster is a must with 11:1 compression. Also what kinds have you had the best results with?

Old 02-21-2002, 01:35 AM

I read an article in car craft or hot rod several months ago where they tested several different brands of octane boost. The results were surprising. Only 1 of about 5 different ones tested actualy raised the octane. I was only about 1 point too. The rest of them didn't do anything and a couple actualy lowered it. I don't remember which one was the best. They also said that when the can says "+4 points", it realy .4! Assuming that it works at all.

Some people mix 92 0r 93 with AV gas although I don't know how successful that is since I have never done it. Others have added toluene with very good results from what I hear. I haven't used it yet but plan to give it a shot when my car is done. I personaly would not not waste my money on the so called octane boosters.

Maybe someone can explain how you determine what the actual octane of your gas is after mixing it. It would be nice to know because if it's too high it will hurt power and if it's too low it will detonate.

Old 02-21-2002, 04:40 AM

I agree. Most additives are worthless. I read a really in-depth article about a week ago that fully explained the whole 'compression and need for octane' mess and in the article it pretty much said that toluene is the best (118 octane) thing to add because it's stronger and I believe it's good for your fuel system too. The article was online and I forget the site but hopefully someone else knows where it is, hope that helps.

Old 02-21-2002, 06:30 AM

You have got to be careful with toluene. Granted it is a benzene derivative and is a suspected carcinogen. If any of you guys remember Boeing had this problem in the '50's I believe they allowed the mechanics to use benzene to wash the grease of their hands, well many of them developed cancer. I would be willing to bet that it wouldn't hurt the fuel system and probably would dissolve any medium to large organic matter in side. Also, toluene will leave a lot of soot when it burns, so if you plan on running alot of it then expect your exhaust valves on back to collect more soot than usual.

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: The Dude ]</p>

Old 02-21-2002, 10:04 PM

My 1966 GTO with a 389 bored .60 over pings like a cornbinder. Retard timing? Great, then there goes my power. Eliminate advance? Great, no ping, and about 2 mpg. I too have read a lengthy article on toluene. I will respect it, won't wash my hands in it, will wear gloves and won't spill. I "MUST" try it, I can't afford SUNOCO leaded racing gas (110 octane) at $4.50 per gallon.
The article I read had gallon, 5 gallon, and 55 gallon costs of toluene. I forget the cost.
Wish me luck!

Old 02-21-2002, 11:41 PM
Boost Engineer

Pingmasterson,
Were a very good spray booth mask also. Tolulene
used to be used a lot at Holley in their chem lab, (as well as other chemicals) Every guy I
knew who worked in that area has died of cancer
in the last 25 years. Gale Banks used tolulene
for years in his street Boosted small blocks, a
proven octane improver.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where do you even buy this stuff (Tolune?)

Old 02-22-2002, 08:28 AM

You can also use xylene. It has a higher octane value than toluene. It is less volatile, so be careful how much you add. I put a quart in a tank full of Amoco unleaded premium. My '66 389/4bbl with Edelbrock Performer package, 10.5:1 CR runs fine without ping. You can buy xylene in bulk, 5 gal or more, from paint supplies for around $30.

Good luck.

Old 02-22-2002, 12:57 PM

my dad was a printer. toluene was used to clean ink from rollers and silk screens. it was also huffed like testers glue. buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
paint stores always carried toluene and you had to be an adult to purchase the product because kids were going nuts when they huffed it on a rag. pretty dangerous stuff.

Old 02-22-2002, 04:48 PM

If you really want to use toluene you can get it at Home DeepThroat ..I have never had to use it when my comp was higher .. If you are any where near a race Track , It only takes 1-2 gallons of good race fuel per tank of pump 94 {Sunoco} to boost your octane up 10+ points .Somewhere I saw a chart for adding a given amount of Race to a given amount of Premium to get the required oct. for specific Comp.ratios .. If you really would like to know I think I have a link to that page somewhere ,but I'll have to hunt for it for you ..
E-mail me ..
Andy

Old 02-22-2002, 05:15 PM

Toluene is a component of gasoline. Pull up a material safety data sheet on gas from one of the suppliers, Exxon, Shell, etc., and you will find that gasoline contains 8-18% toluene as well as other carcinogens. Every time you put gas into your car an equal volume of gas vapor goes into the atmosphere as it passes your face unless you live in a state that requires fume vacuums.

Old 02-26-2002, 06:31 PM

Larry Navarro posted this link to Shane Douthitt's website a while ago and it really has a lot of good information.

http://www.wauknet.com/douthitt/octane.htm

Ed

Old 03-01-2002, 01:08 AM

I have never actually ordered anything from this site, but I have used it in my research. Chemfinder.com will have xylene and toluene, you can order the stuff there too. Like I said though, I've never ordered anything through them so I don't know if they could sell the stuff to normal guys. IF you are able to order/receive any chemicals from them, they should be of reagent grade (99.9% maybe more pure).
--------------------------------------------------
I decided to try this out, just to make sure it works, well you have to set up an account from what it looks like. I also spent some time looking at the different types of toluene available, if you're confused don't hesitate to ask someone from the site or company what the differences are. The only types I would not recommend are the ones from ARC, these have carbon 14 (which is used in carbon dating) and tritium (looks like it anyway), you do not want these, they are expensive and radioactive.

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: The Dude ]</p>