Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-28-2002, 12:35 PM

I have a 455 installed in a 66 GTO. I read the fairly recent post on belt squeal, and have done all that has been suggested. I have narrowed it down to my fan/alternator belt. I have a brand new alternator pulley and new alternator bearings. Thoroughly sanded all pulley grooves. Installed a brand new non-ribbed Gates belt. It still squeals like crazy above 2000 RPM. Belt dressing does not even help. The pulleys are lined up perfectly. I have tried it with the belt really tight, really loose, and everywhere in between. Am looking for any suggestions. Thanks

Old 10-28-2002, 12:35 PM

I have a 455 installed in a 66 GTO. I read the fairly recent post on belt squeal, and have done all that has been suggested. I have narrowed it down to my fan/alternator belt. I have a brand new alternator pulley and new alternator bearings. Thoroughly sanded all pulley grooves. Installed a brand new non-ribbed Gates belt. It still squeals like crazy above 2000 RPM. Belt dressing does not even help. The pulleys are lined up perfectly. I have tried it with the belt really tight, really loose, and everywhere in between. Am looking for any suggestions. Thanks

Old 10-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Senior Chief

That post you read was probably mine,and I am still in that boat. higher rpms the belt likes to talk. I bought new belts a couple of times,no avail. My friend Brian baker suggested a larger alt pulley. thats next on my list. I have tried all you mention,even got a bar,and tightened that joker down real tight. didn't squeal,but doing a burnout to show off,the belt broke,back to square one. only other option,is buy deeper groove pullies,from march.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

guys i had the same problem ..swapped my water pump pulley with another one i had lying around and the noise went away but i could see no noticeabel difference in the two pulleys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] so i left the one that didnt squeal on there :P
Mike

Old 11-01-2002, 11:43 AM

Guys,

I have been having the same problem with my 455 until I switched out the main pulley yesterday. The old one had a little groove worn in it. This fixed the problem that I have been fighting for months. Hope this helps?