Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 03-31-2003, 09:03 PM

I am considering swapping the 403 in my 79 T/A with a 455. My vin calls fo0r an Olds and I would like to keep it that way. I figure I can rebuild the 455 and have more horses. I would like to make it some what of a sleeper, hoping noone looks past the oil fill tube. I am afraid the the deck height difference will not allow me to use my shaker and I'll be d*^%ed if I'm going to bolt it onto my hood. Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2003, 09:03 PM

I am considering swapping the 403 in my 79 T/A with a 455. My vin calls fo0r an Olds and I would like to keep it that way. I figure I can rebuild the 455 and have more horses. I would like to make it some what of a sleeper, hoping noone looks past the oil fill tube. I am afraid the the deck height difference will not allow me to use my shaker and I'll be d*^%ed if I'm going to bolt it onto my hood. Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does the 403 use the same basic block as a 455? Not sure, but if it does then all you have to do is use a stock height manifold. If not, then you can modify the base in a similar way that the base is modified on my GTO.

Shaker pics

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 04-01-2003, 02:46 PM

Andrew, Ithought I recognized that modification. I dug through my mags and saw it on the April cover of PHR. Sweet ride man. I am afraid my T/A will never be that cherry. I am trying to do the work myself and my abilities are limited, But I'm proud of it nonetheless.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks!
Did you ever figure out if the 403 and the 455 share a similar carb position? Maybe check out some Olds websites. Maybe give Dick Miller a call? I am sure anyone who is very familiar with Oldsmobile engine can help you figure out what to do to make the shaker work with the 455.
Good luck. Let us all know how it worked out for you.

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 04-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

455 Olds is a "tall block". Wider intake, sits higher...Believe some early Toro intakes set lower. Sorry, can't be of more help.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:36 PM

if i remember right the 455 olds is 1" higher and 2" wider than the 350 / 403 block. i'd have to measure the 455 to be sure and i don't have a 403 to compare it to. those measurements stick in my mind from the last conversion we did.

all the 455 brackets are 455 specific due to the size difference. if you decide to do this swap get all the brackets with the engine.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-02-2003, 08:04 PM

Would it matter what the 455 brackets came out of? I can get a set out of a 73 regency 98, that still has a 455 in it.I believe the 455 measures 1.25" taller than the 403.

Old 04-04-2003, 05:42 PM

just get the brackets and pulleys off of the same car so you don't have belt issues.

the one i have came out of a 73 cutlass police car. supposedly it's the last of the true w-30 pkgs.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2003, 02:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

OPH is correct. the 455 will be higher than your 403. I would assume this will mess with shaker clearance. He is also correct in saying older toronados had a low rise intake that might fix this problem for you. Look for around a 68-70 toro intake, I had one before on the 455 in my Cutlass but I think i sold it when i swapped in an edelbrock intake.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!