Old 09-21-2000, 09:17 AM

I've had my 67 GTO for a couple of months now. I'm not sure when the oil and coolant were changed last, so I'm going to do it this weekend. I'm not positive of the fluid capacities. The shop manual says 7 quarts of oil when you change the filter. This seems like a lot. Also, how can I tell if the car has the correct dip-stick? (I can see that this could be a big problem if it is not correct.) The car has a radiator from an A/C car, even though it is not air-conditioned (previous owner's attempt to help it run cooler). What is the overall coolant capacity? The shop manual does not appear to address this. I'm trying to determine if I need 1 or 2 gallons of Prestone. Also, should I buy the regular Prestone or the extended life type? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-2000, 09:17 AM

I've had my 67 GTO for a couple of months now. I'm not sure when the oil and coolant were changed last, so I'm going to do it this weekend. I'm not positive of the fluid capacities. The shop manual says 7 quarts of oil when you change the filter. This seems like a lot. Also, how can I tell if the car has the correct dip-stick? (I can see that this could be a big problem if it is not correct.) The car has a radiator from an A/C car, even though it is not air-conditioned (previous owner's attempt to help it run cooler). What is the overall coolant capacity? The shop manual does not appear to address this. I'm trying to determine if I need 1 or 2 gallons of Prestone. Also, should I buy the regular Prestone or the extended life type? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-22-2000, 06:45 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Cutiger,
Most Pontiacs use 6 quarts of oil
Drain the oil. Use the correct filter. Add 6 quarts of oil. Fire engine. Turn off engine when it shows oil pressure. Check for leaks. Then check oil level on dipstick.
Some (not many Pontiacs) have 7 quart pans.
I always use 2 quarts of antifreeze. Over the years the dipsticks can get broken and replaced with the wrong one.

Old 09-22-2000, 09:11 PM

Thanks Blackcat. I assume that you mean 2 gallons not 2 quarts of anti-freeze. I checked the shop manual on coolant capacity. It says that it is between 18 and 22 quarts. I think I am going to put 4 gallons of anti-freeze in so I can get a 70/30 mixture. The shop manual definitely says 7 quarts of oil with a filter change. I think I'll put in 5 quarts then check the dipstick til it reads full, crank the engine (to fill the filter) then fill to full again. I'll post a reply here when I find out how much it holds. Still not sure on the correct dipstick. I'm hoping that there is a number on it that I can check.

Old 09-22-2000, 09:42 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Sorry,
Use 2 jugs (they come by the gallon).
Start with 6 quarts. Don't leave yourself
short. The Ellusive 7 quart pan has a much
larger sump than the normal pan. You would
have to have them side by side to tell. What shop manual do you have? Start the engine. This will make sure the filter is full and that you have oil pressure. let it sit for 5 min. Then check the oil level.

Old 09-23-2000, 09:33 AM

I have the "sho-nuff" 67 Pontiac Service Manual. I'll take your suggestion and start with 6 quarts.