Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had this remote oil filter kit hanging around for a couple years and I have finally decided to use it. My question in this: The filter housing has an "inlet" and "outlet" but the adaptor at the block is not marked. Which hose goes to the inlet, upper or lower? I would have guessed "upper". Thanks, Eddy.

Old 04-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had this remote oil filter kit hanging around for a couple years and I have finally decided to use it. My question in this: The filter housing has an "inlet" and "outlet" but the adaptor at the block is not marked. Which hose goes to the inlet, upper or lower? I would have guessed "upper". Thanks, Eddy.

Old 04-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eddy, you guessed wrong.The lower hose from the block goes to the inlet on the filter. From the filter the outlet hose goes to the upper fitting on the block plate. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Robert. Thats the way my guesses ususally go. I am very glad I asked. Thanks again, Eddy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2002, 11:26 PM

I would be real cautious about using a remote filter kit,first look at the fittings on the hose ends,you may have 1/2 hose but the fittings are sometimes less than 3/8 ID,2nd keep all your hoses as short as possible ,3rd keep all bends in fittings to a minimum, its probably better to run an fittings #10 I believe as the ID is bigger and flow restriction is less ,block mounted filter with long filter is still best set up as far as I'm concerned.
Len

Old 04-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Len, now that you have my attention, have you had or has someone you know had a bad experience with the remote filters. This is a race only application and with the donor headers I need all the room I can get on the pass side. If there is any chance that the remote will starve the engine for oil, then I will go back to my small headers. Sometimes I/we lose our heads in the quest for speed. Change 1 thing and the next thing you know you have to modify 6 others.

Old 04-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As long as your oil pump is up to the task and you follow Len's stated potential problems, you'll be fine.
I've ran a dual set up for years w/ no problems.
Initially w/ the stock 78 400 oil pump.
Use AN -10 fittings. Someone was posting that Russell now makes a wide mouth fitting for these type applications.

You'll gain capacity and a cooling benifit; as well as, ease of filter change.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:45 AM

While we are on the subject, what is a safe distance from the oil filter to the headers (obviously the further the better) but was wodering if anyone knew. I have a remote but am thinking of removing it.

thanks

Old 04-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Boost Engineer

On turbo cars if you put a metal shield 1/2 inches
away from the turbo a Master Cylinder will be
barely warm to the touch and the turbo will be
red hot. The same applies to the filter. Make a
filter shield 1/2 away from the filter to the header tube or tubes you are worried about and you will be fine. Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:52 AM

A buddy of mine had to relocate his filter because of header clearence and installed a kit with pre cut and fitted hoses , the motor lost bearings twice with attending other damages before he realized that the fittings on the hoses were less than 3/8" ID and that his hoses were too long. He changed to AN10 hose and fittings and has had no problems since. 2 filter setup is best as it gives less restriction and better cooling. I am thinking of machining an adapter for this purpose so that hoses exit at the top to eliminate fitting bends coming off the adapter.
Len

[ April 13, 2002: Message edited by: Len ]</p>

Old 04-13-2002, 04:48 PM
Senior Chief

I like the part about "attending other damages". That would be snapping 6 rods in half and kicking them out the side of the block going through the traps at 110MPH. That was a fun day. Transdapt kits with their 1/2" lines and 3/8" fittings... Let's not even go there... Do yourself a favor if you need to go remote- buy the block plate from JBP, the remote filter housing from Nunzi, and spring for the -10AN fittings and SS lines. It ain't cheap, but your engine bearings will thank you...

464 CI
Vertically Gated M22 4-speed
Old 04-13-2002, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Other products as alternates.... Nunzi block plate is reportably a good one (I assume it's not the same as Butlers). Also System-1 makes good remote filter units.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 04-13-2002, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not just tap the outer block oil passages for 1/2" or 3/4" NPT? Use an AN-10 X NPT adapters to attach the -10 hoses.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 04-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

Nunzi's is a good piece, what with the o-ring seals and countersunk allen head bolts and black anodizing, but it's expensive, more than twice the price of the JBP piece. I have one and tried to use it, but it was 3/8" thicker than the JBP, just enough so it wouldn't clear the header even with a 90 degree AN fitting. Couldn't use it, so now it sits on a display motor on an engine stand and just looks pretty.

464 CI
Old 04-14-2002, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well here is my take on this. I tapped my block last year when the engine was out. I tapped them to 3/8" as per an article i read. I should have tapped them to at least 1/2"! This I will do when the engine comes out again. I am running straight 40 wt oil and I had a Fram filter with stainless lines (real hydraulic stainless $$$) but they were only 3/8". Some of you guys may remember my post last fall. First thing I did was get rid of that Fram filter; pressure went up 5 psi! But the lines were totally chocking the oil supply. I wanted the filter in a better place too, but wasn't about to fry an engine over it. I put the old filter housing back on and my oil pressure shot back up to where it should have been. Around 60-70 psi. If you have ever watched an oil pressure gauge, you know how it will raise with RPM's, well those lines were causing such a restriction that it would come up to 50 psi at the most, but when you started to get on it the pressure would start to DROP!! Definetly a restriction. Weather you tap the block or not, take the advice of others, don't skimp on the lines. Run a -10 and as little fittings as possible, it is the life blood of your engine!

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold
Old 04-15-2002, 12:22 AM
Senior Chief

How is the TD Performance single oil filter relocation kit? I'm about to order it.

Old 04-15-2002, 07:27 AM
Senior Chief

TD performance kit- throw the lines in the trash. Or more specifically- the fittings the lines connect to the ends with.

464 CI
Old 04-15-2002, 10:50 AM

Somebody posted this link awhile ago. I was looking for a sandwich adapter so I could put a cooler on my pickup, but they also sell remote adapters--with 1/2" ports rather than the 3/8" it seems like every other adapter has. Looks like a good product.

http://www.accusump.com/acc_products/univ.html

Old 04-15-2002, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

Warrior, why so? The kit seems to be of good quality includind a 1/2 ID line and 1/2 NPT fittings. No? Am I missing something? -Chris

Old 04-15-2002, 07:32 PM
Senior Chief

Measure the hole in the fittings

464 CI