Old 05-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Anyone have experience with the original Post Type Radiator Hose Clamps ? I am considering installing this clamp style on my '67 GTO, but would like to know what the pros/cons of the post type clamp is with respect to the modern screw type. I like the look of the original clamps, but do they have the same retention force, reliability, etc. ?

Old 05-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Anyone have experience with the original Post Type Radiator Hose Clamps ? I am considering installing this clamp style on my '67 GTO, but would like to know what the pros/cons of the post type clamp is with respect to the modern screw type. I like the look of the original clamps, but do they have the same retention force, reliability, etc. ?

Old 05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know there a pain to get off. One trick I was told by a guy restoring a 73 bird. He was using the post style clamps. Put them on the hose, but loose. Use modern worm gear clamps to initially tighten the hoses and while you test every thing. If you have to remove anyhting, the worm gear clamps loosen very easily. Once you are sure everything is AOK, you can remove the worm clamps by unscrewing them all the way, then tighten your post clamps and not have to disturb the system whatsoever.

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"
Old 05-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They work well but do not have the force of the new style. If you apply too much force the tower will begin to twist. But you don't need that much pressure. They work well and look great...

Hot Rod Cover Car -April '07
PHR Magazine Sept.'08
1244HP Pump Gas Dyno @ 11psi (32PSI MAX)
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...ipumpgas-2.flv
Old 05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using them for a few years with no problems. You'll know if you over-torque them, the screw snaps off. Oops.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'65 GTO Hardtop, next project
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 05-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried a set on my car and was disappointed in their quality and holding ability. When I tightened them I had to hold the post with one wrench and tighten the bolt with another to keep from twisting the post. They were also a bitch to get into a tight spot because of their size and the above mentioned tightening procedure. AHHHHH, and removal consisted of loosing the bolt and discovering that the bolt was indeed loose but the clamp was still tight. Tin snips cured that. Good old hose clamps went back on.......

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:57 PM

Quick question: what was the last year that the factory used the post-type radiator and heater hose clamps?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using them for years, The trick is like anything that needs to be tightened down. Little at a time, never all the way down.
Once they are set they hold as well as any clamp. However if thet should fail, just cut it off. I've never has success reusing them.