Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 PM

Just about ready to yank this ol' 3.1 out of the 96 GP, just a few hold-ups.

First basic one... How do you release those quick disconnect type fuel lines that are on the drivers side of the intake? I'm assuming there's some sort of special tool, thin walled cylidrical shaped that you press in behind that flange?

Next, please tell me there are only 5 bolts holding that bellhousing to the block! 3 in front, two in rear? If there is another down in back I can't see how you'd get at it! Have to get the flyweel bolts off yet, that's next when I go back out.

I have it up on ramps to get at the under-carriage stuff, but plan on taking it down to the ground and pulling the hood next. If I lift the motor enough to clear the bolts on that mount underneath the pass. side of engine I should be able to slide it that way to clear the trans right? That is my plan...

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 PM

Just about ready to yank this ol' 3.1 out of the 96 GP, just a few hold-ups.

First basic one... How do you release those quick disconnect type fuel lines that are on the drivers side of the intake? I'm assuming there's some sort of special tool, thin walled cylidrical shaped that you press in behind that flange?

Next, please tell me there are only 5 bolts holding that bellhousing to the block! 3 in front, two in rear? If there is another down in back I can't see how you'd get at it! Have to get the flyweel bolts off yet, that's next when I go back out.

I have it up on ramps to get at the under-carriage stuff, but plan on taking it down to the ground and pulling the hood next. If I lift the motor enough to clear the bolts on that mount underneath the pass. side of engine I should be able to slide it that way to clear the trans right? That is my plan...

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-09-2005, 11:17 AM

She's in there! New motor in place and bolted up! She's in! Just working on connecting the harness, hoses, accessories. Man, it is a good feeling. It took me a while to find the time and get a hoist, but it went well. Here is a pic of the motor before I dropped her in... Let's hope it runs as well as it looks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_motorS.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	18112  

Old 04-15-2005, 07:17 AM

Just remembered I had never updated this post after the install was complete... Had great success, the engine runs fantastic!

I apparently cut one of the o2 sensor wires on its way into the engine compartment, so i am getting a P0134 code, but that's an easy fix. Am going to replace the sensor with the one off the old motor today. Here is a pic of the finished install.