Old 03-18-2004, 01:12 AM

This is my first post on this forum and i already have a question. I have a 71 firebird with a fiberglass ram air hood but no air cleaner assembly. I dont care about oem does anyone have an idea that would atleast make it function for cheap because i can't think of one.By the way i am feeding a 455 with ross dish pistons and a set of ported 614's with a small solid cam. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:12 AM

This is my first post on this forum and i already have a question. I have a 71 firebird with a fiberglass ram air hood but no air cleaner assembly. I dont care about oem does anyone have an idea that would atleast make it function for cheap because i can't think of one.By the way i am feeding a 455 with ross dish pistons and a set of ported 614's with a small solid cam. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Old 03-18-2004, 10:52 PM

Is there atleast a fairly inexpensive route or air cleaner assembly? Because i have seen factory stuff for 500 dollars!

Old 03-19-2004, 06:49 AM

I guess you have a formula hood, so your choices are limited due to hood clearance.You seem to be leaning toward a custom fabricated setup (trial and error).

Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're trying to use the functional scoops, you will probably have to fabricate your own, or spend some money for a regular style cleaner.

Brian Drabik(?) has ads in Smoke Signals for a repro type unit.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 03-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 71 formula:
Is there atleast a fairly inexpensive route or air cleaner assembly? Because i have seen factory stuff for 500 dollars! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last NOS '71-'75 Formula/'71-'72 GTO ram air cleaner I saw for sale went for $2500.00 on e-bay.

I believe ther are still two repop air cleaners for sale. The supposedly exact piece with dampers and thermacs for nearly $600, and a functional unit which - looks fairly close - is available for less than half of that. For a '71-'75 Formula, all one would need besides the air cleaner assembly is a pair of the rubber boots and the boot retainer rings (both available from PY) and, if you want, the hood inlet screens. I see the repop screens on e-bay and CP all the time for around $60 a pair.

Below is a pic of my Formula setup - all NOS!

Hope this helps.
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00372S.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	17527  

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 03-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

71 Formula,
Welcome to the PY forums. I'll leave your post here in the Street Performance section for a day or so, then it will be moved to the 1970-1973 Firebird & T/A Tech section. Your topic should receive a little morte attention in the appropriate section & won't get lost as fast amongst the other posts.

db

Old 03-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey 71, I have a 71 Formula also. 400/4M. My car is the same color as Lloyd's just not near as nice or as fast.

I picked up an original ram air hood several years ago that had some pretty good damage. I've studied it pretty well and the path the air must take to get to the carb must be the most torturous route ever devised. In a pitch-black room, you point a flashlight down the front of one of the scoops and no hint of light reflected or otherwise can be seen from the other end. I'm sure somehow some cooler air makes its way to the carb but I sincerely doubt this set up is worth the cost and hassle to get all of the parts unless you are tying to duplicate a ram air car. I recall seing a back to back test way back when that should the improvement was within statistical variance in the quarter mile.

I'm not a real stickler for originality and I will be buried in this car so I just ordered an aftermarket box from Air inlet systems (ram air box) which now that I got it is equally overpriced for what you get but at least, it is clear that it will work.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:11 AM

Sounds like good advise. Maybe i will get a cowl induction. Then i wount have to SLAM the hood so hard to get it to close and squash my air cleaner anymore. The cowl hood is almost the same price as a air cleaner assembly. Thanks for the info.