Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-13-2003, 05:30 PM

Well took my Performance Years exhaust system to the muffler shop today and what a disaster. I had originally expected to put the system on my self but when I went through the box there were no adapters. When I called I found they were not part of the kit.
Got to the muffler shop and held eveything up to the car on the rack and nothing fit. The pipes over the axle are too long and would not fit, they hit the upper control arm, the x pipe was too long and the pipes to the muffler were straight back making the mufflers sit very low, not tucked up into the well where they are suppose to be..
Rather than return mine I had the Muffler shop cut mine up and weld it in place, the finished product is nice but the extra labor made the choice of buying the Performance Years system rather questionable.
It is not that I am complaining, I just want others to have the correct expectations. The system is so universal that it would somewhat fit almost anything but not high and tight.

Old 10-13-2003, 05:30 PM

Well took my Performance Years exhaust system to the muffler shop today and what a disaster. I had originally expected to put the system on my self but when I went through the box there were no adapters. When I called I found they were not part of the kit.
Got to the muffler shop and held eveything up to the car on the rack and nothing fit. The pipes over the axle are too long and would not fit, they hit the upper control arm, the x pipe was too long and the pipes to the muffler were straight back making the mufflers sit very low, not tucked up into the well where they are suppose to be..
Rather than return mine I had the Muffler shop cut mine up and weld it in place, the finished product is nice but the extra labor made the choice of buying the Performance Years system rather questionable.
It is not that I am complaining, I just want others to have the correct expectations. The system is so universal that it would somewhat fit almost anything but not high and tight.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:17 AM
Senior Chief

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS THE SAME FOR THE 2-1/2 SETUP? I WAS PLANNING ON GETTING ONE FOR MY 67.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Al, I appologize if Brian gave you the impression the system was going to be a quick bolt on. He has installed many exhaust systems and to him these are easy. A GTO was never designed to accept a 3" exhaust system. All performance systems are assumed to need some cutting and occasionally some tweeking especially over the axle. What you are describing sounds normal except for the adjectives you added and the pipe hitting the control arm. The installation issues associated with a 3" install will be the case with any company making a 3" mandrel bent system, not just us. I always quote at least a 3 hour install time by a professional on all our exhaust systems. I also always recommend a professional do the installation if the customer has never installed an exhaust system.

On a side note to all; When did you ever take your car to a service center and have the shop say, 'wow what an easy job. It was much easier than than we expected' ?

The only component that is not part of our system is the collector reducers because there are so many versions based on the brand and type of header. They are relatively inexpensive and we give the customer the choice of either purchasing from us or getting at a local parts store.

I think 'disaster' and 'cutting up' and 'nothing fit' are overly strong words for system we have supplied. Maybe the shop gave you that impression?

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 10-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently installed a 2 1/2" with x pipe system from PY. While I realize that a 2 1/2" is easier to install than a 3" the quality and fit I would think to be the same. I don't think my install could have gone better. Other than cutting the pipes as necessary ( and explained in the directions ) everything bolted on and lined right up. It took me about 3 hours.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 10-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Senior Chief

Did you have the regular manifolds? Which one did you get?

Old 10-15-2003, 04:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, mine was for the standard logs. There are pictures of mine on the first page of the thread about that system.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 10-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A GTO was never designed to accept a 3" exhaust system. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the exhaust system was supposed to be designed to fit the GTO.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What Chris is saying is, in 1965 the GM engineers never dreamed of running a 3" exhaust so they never made the clearances nessesary. Have you ever tried to hang a 3" exhaust? Its tricky as hell. When I had the 3" tails put on my 2dr '66 it took a while to get everything lined up. My exhaust guy can do some amazing stuff but he had to take his time on them. I love them though. Im probably gonna order a pair of 3" heads and tails for my 4dr.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:17 AM

Hey There,
I just installed a 3" Pypes system on my '79 TA in my driveway last Friday, from 4pm to 10:30pm by MYSELF. My muffler shop was going to charge me $200 just to put it in so I said what the hell, I'll try it myself. What I recommend when handing this system is to get the over the axle pipes hung in first...roughly where you need. Then snugly tighten up the X-pipe to muffler portion of the system and then connect the two of them...

Once that section is together, I jacked up the system roughly into place and eyed up the "head" pipes from the homemade collector to x-pipe. At this point I noticed it was a good idea to remove the X-pipe to muffler section and cut out a portion of the X-pipe to muffler pipes to give a better fit to the "head" pipes. Got everything back in there...then the real fun begins... After some minor tweeking and a few curse words a slight adjustment to the drivers-side muffler and everything moved into place. It was a beautiful thing...

The system is LOUD...and it does hang a little low, but I must say for my first exhaust system, I got that SOB in there as tight as it could ever possibly fit...lol.

You gotta expect the unexpect, nothing in life is a direct bolt in.

Take care,
Dave

www.fcrperformance.com
Old 10-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've tried hanging exhausts myself and its a job best left to the pros.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:12 PM

My comments were not to imply that people should not put 3" systems on their Goats. Perhaps my expectations were greater than they should have been, but I was led to believe this system was designed for a GTO. Had the designer of the system truly spent time with these cars the system could have been much better. I wanted a high performance system that tucked in and mine does that NOW.

My post was to warn others of what to expect and proceed accordingly. Everyone is different on what they will accept and what they perceive as bolt on. A 3" exhaust system can be made to fit very nicely on these cars and I am happy with the final result. It just took the muffler shop 6 hours to get it that way.