Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-15-2004, 06:39 PM

Any thoughts on Borg warner T-10 would be appreciated. I have a '69 GTO with a Muncie 4 speed that's getting a little tired, pops out of gear sometimes. I'm told the syncro's are going. You know the line....a friend of a friend has a Borg Warner T-10 for sale with an aluminum housing? Would it bolt up to my bell housing? It comes with it's own shifter, I guess my Hurst shifter wouldn't fit? $300.00 a fair price? Or should I just get the Muncie rebuilt. I've rebuilt many motors but never touched a tranny. Should I give it a try myself?
Enough questions, any help would be great. Thanks John.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:39 PM

Any thoughts on Borg warner T-10 would be appreciated. I have a '69 GTO with a Muncie 4 speed that's getting a little tired, pops out of gear sometimes. I'm told the syncro's are going. You know the line....a friend of a friend has a Borg Warner T-10 for sale with an aluminum housing? Would it bolt up to my bell housing? It comes with it's own shifter, I guess my Hurst shifter wouldn't fit? $300.00 a fair price? Or should I just get the Muncie rebuilt. I've rebuilt many motors but never touched a tranny. Should I give it a try myself?
Enough questions, any help would be great. Thanks John.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it a GM t-10? If yes it will fit but if I remember correctly the input shaft is a different spline requiring a different clutch disc. If it is a T-10 and not a later Super T-10 it wont be as strong as your Muncie. This wont matter if you dont beat on the car.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you need to see if it is a T-10 or a ST-10.The 63 T-10 from pontiacs were the same as the 409 and corvettes.Not as good or as strong as your muncie.The ST-10s are a inch longer and MOST have a diff input and output spline.Also you will need diff shifter arms.Get the Muncie rebuilt,IMO.Tom

Old 12-16-2004, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet you could get the muncie freshened up for $300.
Agree with Tom, repair what you have and be down the road.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you rebuild your trans make sure you go to someone reliable. Often times the small teeth on the gears where the syncro's engage are worn and replacing just the syncro's wont solve your problem. The gear(s) would have to be replaced.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rebuild the Muncie!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!