Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 AM

I'm rebuilding my '69 GTO 400 motor and upgrading the cam just a bit (not extreme) and it is recommended to use headers with the cam I'm considering. My sister just rebuilt her '17 Chevelle 454 motor and was told not to install headers on a fresh motor, rather to run the stock exhaust manifolds until it's broke in.

Is this an old wives tale or should I be putting the original exhaust manifolds back on my fresh motor when I'm done? They were told that the header manufacturers won't warranty the headers on a new motor. Why would this be?

Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 AM

I'm rebuilding my '69 GTO 400 motor and upgrading the cam just a bit (not extreme) and it is recommended to use headers with the cam I'm considering. My sister just rebuilt her '17 Chevelle 454 motor and was told not to install headers on a fresh motor, rather to run the stock exhaust manifolds until it's broke in.

Is this an old wives tale or should I be putting the original exhaust manifolds back on my fresh motor when I'm done? They were told that the header manufacturers won't warranty the headers on a new motor. Why would this be?

Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Hawk397

Just my opinion, but I can't see any reason to not run headers from the beginning. I've got a shop rebuilding a 400 for me now and got excited when I told him I will be running tri-y headers (guess he doesn't see those too often but they're a great choice for a street motor). He even wanted to know the primary and secondary runner lengths to give to the cam grinder!

Mark

Old 10-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One situation you could run into is burning off the finish on your headers due to a lean or mistimed issue during engine breakin. Those 2 situations can generate lots more heat than normal.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a good idea to run new tube headers on a newly rebuilt motor until after your break-in, too much heat which can damage the finish of the headers. That is why most header manufacturers put the disclaimer on their product. Use the old cast iron manifolds for break in or an old set of tube headers. Even though i had taken my headers up to Ken Keefer [aka Pontiac Dude] for my 455 rebuild he used an old set that he keeps around the shop just for doing break-ins.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:24 AM

Thanks guys! This is great info.

I also contacted Dougs and they were extremely patient with me (I'm still learning stuff). They said the same as David. Especially when breaking in a new cam at 2500rpm. The motor puts out a lot more heat than normal and it 'could' ruin the finish.

I guess since I paid extra for ceramic coating I'd rather not take a chance so I'll put the old ones back on for the first 500 miles.

Thanks again for the input! Again, this forum has saved me a lot of headaches!