Old 06-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

Hi there:

The other day I was starting the car and it quit just as the engine started to fire. I heard a click and from then on it wouldn't fire. The starter would turn the engine but no spark.

I checked the fuses and the 25A main power fuse had gone. I knew the wiring to the starter wasn't all that great so I popped the starter and, sure enough (so I thought), a couple of the wires were cracked and copper showed.

I didn't have any new wire so I thoroughly wrapped the wires with electrical tape as a temporary fix. However, same problem. The main power fuse keeps burning out whether the key is turned on or not.

Where should I be looking for shorts? I'm not electrically adept so no explanation is too basic for me.

BTW, could the problem be a short in the starter itself. It's a new one--an IMI mini starter that I installed with the engine about 1,200 miles ago. It is pretty close to one of the header primaries so I was thinking maybe the heat has screwed something up.

When I tried to start the car just now, it fires but won't keep running. I guess that means it's getting spark when cranking but not when the ignition is in the "run' position.

Any thoughts?

Moderation in everything--including moderation. WC Fields.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

Hi there:

The other day I was starting the car and it quit just as the engine started to fire. I heard a click and from then on it wouldn't fire. The starter would turn the engine but no spark.

I checked the fuses and the 25A main power fuse had gone. I knew the wiring to the starter wasn't all that great so I popped the starter and, sure enough (so I thought), a couple of the wires were cracked and copper showed.

I didn't have any new wire so I thoroughly wrapped the wires with electrical tape as a temporary fix. However, same problem. The main power fuse keeps burning out whether the key is turned on or not.

Where should I be looking for shorts? I'm not electrically adept so no explanation is too basic for me.

BTW, could the problem be a short in the starter itself. It's a new one--an IMI mini starter that I installed with the engine about 1,200 miles ago. It is pretty close to one of the header primaries so I was thinking maybe the heat has screwed something up.

When I tried to start the car just now, it fires but won't keep running. I guess that means it's getting spark when cranking but not when the ignition is in the "run' position.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What car and where is the 25A fuse you mention?

George

Old 06-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

The car is a '69 Grand Prix and the blown fuse is beneath the dash in the fusebox. The fuse is the second from the top on the left-hand row.

Old 06-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a GTO manual with a wiring diagram in it. I'm sure that George and I have the same thought, that there is no main fuse in the fuse panel on a 69 GP. according to the GTO book ( and believe me when I say that most GM cars are simular) the fuse you are looking at is the fuse for the Cigerette lighter/accessory lighting fuse. now this might have grounded and burnt one of the fuse links under the hood but your fuse links are the only "MAIN" fuse...The reason that the car trys to start when you turn it over is that there is a wire coming from the starter directly to the coil to provide 12 VDC of power to start the car easier. once you let the switch back to the run position then this wire is dead and the car will run on the resistance circuit. If you are able to turn your engine over with the key switch but it won't start, I would check the ignition switch at this point because everything should be working to this point. First plug on the ignition switch, big red wire, purple and others. Red feeds and purple turns the starter. Accessories and coil should get power from here. Only other place that the problem could be at this point is the bulkhead connector!!

Good luck

Old 06-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a diagram for that year, but I agree that the "main" fuse is probably not. Obviously, tha circuit fed by that fuse is the problem. Can anyone here send a copy of the diagram for a '69 GP to help diagnose the problem?

EMD has the right idea, the start circuit does not run thru the troublesome fuse so it starts. The fuse, however feeds the normal running circuits, which is why there is no available power once the key is released.

George

Old 06-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Senior Chief

Hey George:

Thanks for the request but I've been able to get my hands on a '69 manual from the guy who had the car before me. I've not yet had a chance to really go over the schematics or diagnose the short but it looks like the diagram will be a great help.

Thanks for your replies!