Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Milodon makes one for Pontiac V-8s that they claim pumps 30% more water. FlowKooler says the same thing about their pumps and people on this board have said that water pump is no better than stock.

Old 07-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Milodon makes one for Pontiac V-8s that they claim pumps 30% more water. FlowKooler says the same thing about their pumps and people on this board have said that water pump is no better than stock.

Old 07-15-2003, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

and it seems to be working just fine. I really have nothing to compare it to because it was installed on my new 455HO when it was built.

It's Japanese built, "GMB" brand if I recall correctly, and at our repair shop we've had SUPER good luck using this brand of new pumps on Asian cars. Milodon just boxes and markets the pump.

The main reasons I used it were: 1) it's a brand new (not reman) pump and includes the cast impeller, unlike other new units which use a stamped impeller - famous for cavitating at high RPM's. I understand that there are reman pumps available which use the cast impeller, but I've had poor experiences with reman parts - VERY spotty quality control.

It's nice to have the 30% additional flow capacity, even if it cannot be utilized due to other restrictions in the cooling system, like the thermostat.

Besides all that, I wanted my engine to look nice, and the casting is extremely smooth and uniform looking.

Hope this helps,
Lloyd

'72 Formula 455 - TH400, 3.08 posi, A/C, Y99 suspension, tach & gauges, AM-FM stereo, 8-track, Formula steering wheel, etc.; Lucerne Blue with Medium Blue deluxe Interior; 12.96 @ 104 MPH @ the '03 PSN's

Someday I'll be restoring a '72 GTO 455HO, TH400, A/C, etc.; Sundance Orange with Parchment buckets

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 07-15-2003, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That very same pump,(GMP)brand is available from AUTOZONE but is cast-iron rather than aluminum.
excellent flow, cast impeller and is a NEW unit.
Less than $25.
I've had several of them with no problems.

1973 SD455 T/A
1979 S.E. T/A
http://community.webshots.com/album/16587603rOyvmFCiHs

Old 07-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last time I checked you could get the GMB aluminum pump through NAPA for less than what Milodon charges you to put their name on it.

The Flow Kooler pump is nothing more than a GMB pump with a little sheetmetal ring spot welded to the impeller. Given the design of the Pontiac water pump with the divider plate right behind the impeller, I can't see how that's a significant improvement. Still, I bought one back before I knew what was up and I've never had an overheating problem. Whether that's due to the water pump or just the fact that my cooling system is adequate and my engines are well tuned I can't say.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Senior Chief

I used on my on my 70 and had no problems..

Like everybody said.. GMB built, cast impeller.
I never had any overheating problems to begin with.
My 20+ year old iron cast impeller pump self destructed a so I needed something new

You know a pump is bad when water is spraying out the front bearing

GURU: One who knows more jargon than you

Scott Schering
70 Firebird 455 12.34 @ 108.2
Http://www.pontiacs.org

Scott Schering
Http://www.pontiacs.org
Old 07-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The sheetmetal ring that is welded on the back of the impeller is there to help the coolant flow at idle and low speeds, it is one of Flow Kooler's tricks, i can't say if it really works on the Pontiac engine. I think that most of us by now know that the cast iron impeller is a MUST just like the factory pumps. Don't install a water pump on your Pontiac if it has a stamped metal impeller.

Robert Williams

Old 07-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

7 years with a Aluminum radiator/Moroso drive and no complaints. Even street drivin my car, it ran cool.

Build it fast, build it right, build a Pontiac.

http://PontiacDude.cc