Old 05-10-2004, 02:40 PM

driving the car with everything OFF, heat is comming out all my vents. Also, the it feels like some fumes are coming out. Makes my eyes burn. I cycle the cool/heat lever to assure its in the cool position. any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2004, 02:40 PM

driving the car with everything OFF, heat is comming out all my vents. Also, the it feels like some fumes are coming out. Makes my eyes burn. I cycle the cool/heat lever to assure its in the cool position. any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of car? Does it have A/C?All info you can provide would be helpful.

George

Old 05-10-2004, 02:57 PM

Sorry, 1969 firebird with stock A/C. Put in a new fan and a new heater coil. Any other info you need? Thanks

Old 05-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Mrboodon,
Since your car is an AC car you should have a vacuum operated heater shut off valve located
next to the heater box under the hood. When you turn on the AC this valve actuates and shuts off water flow to the heater core. Often this piece is missing on cars and bypassed, allowing water to flow through the heater core all day long. If you have seal or seals in your heater box that are keeping the vent doors from closing
fully or maybe they just aren't working due to mechanical malfunction, you get heat bleeding into the cabin through the open vents. As far as the vapors, well that sounds like an exhaust leak, fix that one and hurry up about it or you might wake up dead. I can't explain how that is getting into the cabin however. I had a similar problem with the heater burning my feet off in the summer time which is counter productive in AZ.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:37 PM

fumes could be antifreeze due to heater core leak

Old 05-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

your heat/AC system is always taking in outside air thru the cowl vents unless you have the system OFF. Old seals in the heater box will leak and still let air in, even when OFF. The fumes are probably from an exhaust leak, as mentioned above, getting in thru the vents. Obviously you should find the source of the fumes first; turn your system to OFF to see if it does actually shut the vents.

George

Old 05-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might also check the temperature slider cable. It's the one that goes from cold to heat. It could be broken or not hooked to the arm that operates the heater door. If the door is open air flows through the heater core. You also sound like you have a heater core leak.