Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 AM

I'm overhauling the front end and took both the upper and lower A-arms to a shop to have new bushings pressed in. The placement of the lower a-arms is clear based on the position of the sway bar link hole. However, I can't tell which upper arm goes to the passenger or drivers side. The arms appear to be dimensionally the same, but have a small hole (1/4 - 3/8 inch??) near the upper ball joint. Is there a driver side and passenger side upper or can they be switched side to side without a problem?

Old 10-26-2004, 11:23 AM

I'm overhauling the front end and took both the upper and lower A-arms to a shop to have new bushings pressed in. The placement of the lower a-arms is clear based on the position of the sway bar link hole. However, I can't tell which upper arm goes to the passenger or drivers side. The arms appear to be dimensionally the same, but have a small hole (1/4 - 3/8 inch??) near the upper ball joint. Is there a driver side and passenger side upper or can they be switched side to side without a problem?

Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Just went and looked at my 68 Grand Prix, and hole in the a arm by the big D shaped end is on the front on the drivers side and the rear on the passanger side. You are right they look the same. I did mine one at a time so I am unsure if they are the same or not though. If you need a picture to help you out let me know. Sorry I am not much help. Pat.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:49 PM

Thanks Pat,

Well I went ahead and just randomly put in the upper arms. Hope its the right way round as I don't want to wreck the ball joints to correct things.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Senior Chief

When I removed my Upper and Lower A-Arms on my 71 LeMans I stamped a "P" on the passenger side A-Arms where they would not be seen when re-assembled. After sand blasting them I found the passenger side A-Arm had a "R" stamped on them and the drivers side had an "L". The upper A-Arms are marked on the top and the lower A-arms are marked on the bottom with respect to how they install on the car. Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

If you do have to change them you should be able to remove the upper A-arms w/o damaging the ball joints, by placing a jack under the lower control arm to hold spring tension and loosen the upper ball joint nut a few turns and then let the floor jack down allowing the spring tension push down on the steering spindle (frame of car must be supported by a jack stand). You may need to tap the steering spindle with a rubber mallet to pop the ball joint free. Once free re-support the lower A-arm with jack and now you can swap the upper control arms. Hopefully the car gods were smiling on you and put them where they needed to be already.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:36 AM

Cujo,

Can you please give me a better idea where to look for the L and R stamped marks on the upper upside.

Anybody know if 68 full size would be similar to 71 lemans?

Junkman

Old 10-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

On my upper A-arms the L and R was on the top side of the A-arm on the flat area close to the pivot shaft. On the lower A-Arms the mark is on the side that faces the ground and close to the pivot bushings. Since my freshly rebuilt A-Arms are still sitting on my work bench I will take some photos when I get home and post them here for you viewing pleasure.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Chief

Here are the pics I promised:

Lower Control Arm

Upper Control Arm

Old 10-28-2004, 06:09 AM

Thanks very much. I didn't find any marks last night in the dim light of the garage and didnt look where yours are marked. Did finish putting everything together and took a short ride. Seems OK.