The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-24-2004, 06:17 AM

Hi all,

I have a 1970 Tempest and I am having a difficult time finding fenders for it. I was wondering if fenders for a '71 or '72 would fit so I can widen my search. The Hollander interchange manual says no but is this because of the side marker light in the fender these years v.s. in the valence on a '70? The fenders look nearly identical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ken

Old 07-24-2004, 06:17 AM

Hi all,

I have a 1970 Tempest and I am having a difficult time finding fenders for it. I was wondering if fenders for a '71 or '72 would fit so I can widen my search. The Hollander interchange manual says no but is this because of the side marker light in the fender these years v.s. in the valence on a '70? The fenders look nearly identical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ken

Old 07-24-2004, 08:22 PM

The 1970 fenders are a lone year, as the side marker lights became law....thats true. The chrome bumper fenders are a bit easier to find then the endura ones.
I have an endura left fender in my storage space if your interested. It has only a very small rust hole in the dog leg area. The fender lip is perfect, as is the front endura mounting area. It does have a slight dent and a drilled hole just above the wheel area, this was filled with bondo and until I had the fender media blasted and epoxy primered I had no idea this was there. It could easily be fixed now as its off the car. To me it was a easy body shop repair done in Virginia where this fender originated. It sat in a barn for 15 years, then in a garage for many more.
Pics could be sent of any area of this fender if you wish. If interested I need $400.00 plus shipping for it. E mail me if interested in pics or purchase.kml69@hotmail.com

Old 07-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Sorry, I don't need the GTO fenders, but the Lemans ones, they have a notch in the front below the headlights where the chrome bumper wraps around. I think the '71-'72 Lemans fenders were the same for the GTO as the Endura front end wrapped around like the chrome bumper of that year, correct me if i'm wrong.

I would like to know if the relief in the '71-'72 fenders for the wrap around bumper is the same as the '70 Lemans with the chrome bumper.

Looking for '70,'71,'72 fenders is better than just limiting my search to '70.

-Ken

Old 07-27-2004, 10:17 AM

Where are you located Ken, I have two 1970 Lemans Fenders, but they are not in perfect shape.

Old 07-28-2004, 07:22 PM

I am halfway between Rochester and Buffalo in Wyoming county NY. Can you send me some pictures and an idea how much you want for them and we'll go from there.

Thanks, -Ken
axlshaft@yahoo.com

Old 07-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about the other years minor differences but I have closely observed the differenced of the 70 lemans/goat fenders. Basically the lemans has a larger cut-out where the chrome bumper wraps around above the amber lenses. The cut-out is actually higher to accomodate the bumper. Otherwise they appear identical.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 07-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If 72 will work, there is one on e-bay right now that may help you. Item number: 2485655726

Right now is at opening bid of $100, no bids and located in MASS.