Old 03-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How bad is that? I know these motors are very reliable but I wonder how much further it can go before it needs a rebuild. I am looking at a '88 GTA that is overall in pretty good shape but the mileage on the motor is what scares me. Im looking for a car to drive and not something that is going to need major surgery down the road.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How bad is that? I know these motors are very reliable but I wonder how much further it can go before it needs a rebuild. I am looking at a '88 GTA that is overall in pretty good shape but the mileage on the motor is what scares me. Im looking for a car to drive and not something that is going to need major surgery down the road.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:32 PM

if it's been treated well and you don't run it hard it should last a long time yet.

i have an 86 305 in a pickup that had 250k on it whne i installed it. i rolled bearings and a timing chain in it at that time and have run it another 100k. it uses about 2 qts of oil per 3k miles and alot of that is running thru the valve guides.

if it runs good joe, and it's what you want ,buy it. from what i saw on the price it's cheap enough that you can put an engine in it and still be ok money wise.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats kinda what I've been talking myself into. I think I might hang tight for another week or so to make sure another one dosen't pop up. I remember seeing a white one a few weeks back. Im going to head over that way tommorrow and see if its still there. If not I think I might take the plunge.