Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Planned on taking the coil springs out of my firebird (67) this weekend so I borrowed one from Autozone. Did a trial fit just to see how it attached and for the life of me could not get the top part with the J hooks in place. I put one arm in up through the bottom shock hole, then the block, and finally the other arm. There does not seem to be enough room inside the coil to turn the last J hook up like it needs to be. Should I try a different compressor or am I just missing something? Ron

Old 02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Planned on taking the coil springs out of my firebird (67) this weekend so I borrowed one from Autozone. Did a trial fit just to see how it attached and for the life of me could not get the top part with the J hooks in place. I put one arm in up through the bottom shock hole, then the block, and finally the other arm. There does not seem to be enough room inside the coil to turn the last J hook up like it needs to be. Should I try a different compressor or am I just missing something? Ron

Old 02-26-2004, 05:18 PM

they can be a pita to get hooked into the spring.

try dropping the bolt down thru the shock hole in the frame and hooking the legs thru the lowest coil that you can reach.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

Mike, are you talking about compressing the spring upwards, keeping it with the car until the bottom A arm is out of the way, and then releasing the tension?

Old 02-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just be careful. If this tool has been used very much the threads can strip in the nut when it reaches full compression and you don't want your hands any where near it when that happens. Unless you spend a lot of money for a good one you won't get many uses from it. We always wrap a heavy blanket around the spring when working with them.

Phil

"dreamed I was wide awake........woke up and I was sound asleep"

Old 02-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

Dislike the J-hooks.....Get a real one. Cost isn't the only factor.

1973 Grand Prix SJ455
1969 GTO 428

Old 02-26-2004, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

Phil, the one I got from Autozone doesn' t even look like it has been used so I' m not to worried about that. The blanket idea sounds like a good one along with a chain. Not worried about going overboard on safety with this job.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Senior Chief

SJMule, who makes it and were did you get it from? Still trying to figure out exactly how that one goes together though.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:53 PM

Hi 67ConvFB,

I've been through this job on my '76 TA. I'm sure Mike N. will agree with me that a "heavy blanket" around the spring is not sufficient. Please use a good strong chain through the spring and frame, and a 3/8" bolt to fasten the ends together. I've had one of those J-bolts come loose from the spring, when we tried to force the compressed spring back into the lower control arm seat. The "explosion" (and sparks) were exciting to say the least. My kid jumped back at least six feet ! The compressor was abused, but undamaged.

Mark H.

Old 02-27-2004, 01:34 AM
Senior Chief

i've used a saftey chain.

but i have never used a spring compressor on double wishbone suspension. actually, i dont think i've used spring compressors on anything except front struts and old fairlane based fords.

i always take the lower arm loose from the inside bolts on double wishbone. i put a good jack under the spring cup on the arm, take out the bolts, lower the jack, and pull out the uncompressed spring. that's how the service manual on the firebird says to do it too. it's just the way i've always done it. (the manual says special tool #whatever to hold the lower arm)

it doesn't work if the engine is out though. i did that once and it sucked. i wished i had a compressor with me that time. i ended up using muffler clamps and people weight. it was scary even with the chain.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67ConvFB:
Mike, are you talking about compressing the spring upwards, keeping it with the car until the bottom A arm is out of the way, and then releasing the tension?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, thats how i do most of them.

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-27-2004, 06:15 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scottk:
i've used a saftey chain.

but i have never used a spring compressor on double wishbone suspension. actually, i dont think i've used spring compressors on anything except front struts and old fairlane based fords.

i always take the lower arm loose from the inside bolts on double wishbone. i put a good jack under the spring cup on the arm, take out the bolts, lower the jack, and pull out the uncompressed spring. that's how the service manual on the firebird says to do it too. it's just the way i've always done it. (the manual says special tool #whatever to hold the lower arm)

it doesn't work if the engine is out though. i did that once and it sucked. i wished i had a compressor with me that time. i ended up using muffler clamps and people weight. it was scary even with the chain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

every time i see this method posted it reminds me of a friend and his 402 70 monte carlo.

he chained the spring and in the process of removal the jack slipped, chain broke and he had a new window in his garage [thru the wall] .

he was just lucky that he wasn't in path the thing took on it's way outside.

a blanket would've just left some fuzz around the hole.

a good spring compressor,in my opinion, is the only way to go with coil springs. there's too much to loose with the one failure like the one i mentioned above.

the unit i have is a snap on. it was bought 15 - 20 yrs ago and has been worn out 3 or 4 times. they always warranty it with no questions.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Chief

OTC 7045-A Took me awhile to find the paper on it. I've had it many years, cost a stiff 150.00 at the time. Easy to use.
Insert plates inside springs, attach upper ball with lock pin and wind the upper plate into spring. Add lower ball, thrust bearing and nut.
" Always use lube on the threads!!!"

Mule

1973 Grand Prix SJ455
1969 GTO 428

Old 02-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and advice. Went back to Autozone today and got a different compressor. Fits much better than the first one. It was just too big to turn inside the spring. The new one also uses acme threads instead of fine standard which is a plus. Going to use the technic described by Mike. Will let y'all know how it turns out. Ron

Old 03-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Chief

Well, springs are out. Front end is completely bare. Now its time for the fun part, cleaning, painting, and putting it back together.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:19 AM

I'm a little ahead of you right now. Just putting mine back together on my 67 GTO now. I used the spring compressor you first got from auto zone. The one I rented worked but I couldn't get the part with the j-hooks out after the spindle was bolted back up. I had to grind the hole in the lower control arm a little bigger to get it out. Now my problem is the spring is not in the seat properly. I've tried everything except for dropping the control arm back down to seat the spring. I'm going to try again today. Next time, I think I'm going to pay someone to do it for me. What a PITA.

Andy

"If you can't make it good, at least make it look good." -- Bill Gates