Old 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM

I just got ready to put my hood on and the caged nuts that are in the hood the the hood hinges bolt into are missing. Anyone know where I could get a set? I need all 4.

Old 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM

I just got ready to put my hood on and the caged nuts that are in the hood the the hood hinges bolt into are missing. Anyone know where I could get a set? I need all 4.

Old 06-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are working on a '65 or 66 GTO, the hood has the provision for a carriage bolt with flat metal retainer that prevents it from spinning when the nut is applied.

The '67 hood has a nut that is trapped within the super structure, but that seems to be welded in place before the outer skin is married to the inner structure.

Old 06-22-2003, 05:27 PM

You are correct. I had meant to say bolt instead of nut. When I look at all of the reproduction parts I see hoods and hood hinges but no retained carriage bolts. Does anyone reproduce them or do I need to try and find the carriage bolt and reproduce the retainer?

Old 06-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The carriage bolt is standard, but the retainer is kind of odd. This set up is used on all 64-66 Lemans GTO and Tempest, so I would think someone on the board has a junk hood laying around that they could take them off of.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had the same problem... except I only had one missing. Couldn't find them in any catalog.

So I used the ones I had as an example and made a replacement.
I used a carriage bolt from Home Depot, found some steel banding from some stuff that was shipped into our warehouse.

Drilled a hole in the banding to fit over the threads of the carriage bolt.

Used a small triangle file to square up the hole.

Cut the banding to the correct shape/size.

Slipped the banding over the square part of the carriage bolt.

I then used a chisel to cut into the corner of the square part of the carriage bolt to hold the banding from comming off. Sort of rolling down a little metal so the banding can't get past it.

...best if used on or before date indicated...
65 GTO

Old 06-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a photo link of the bolt with flared corners that hold the metal clip. the metal clip is gone, but this should give you the idea of how to flare the bolt to hold the clip.

bolt photo

...best if used on or before date indicated...
65 GTO

Old 06-23-2003, 11:46 AM

Give me you address and I will send you some new ones. You can still buy them through a body shop supply house.