Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-26-2004, 05:20 PM

My '71 that I just purchased long distance came with some of those wheel locks(those funky lugnuts with a strange pattern on top and smooth sides) to protect its valuable 14" aluminum slots(note sarcasm). I need to remove the wheels and tires and swap on some 15" RallyII's for inspection(more then likely it will be permanent) because one of the tires is cut pretty bad on the 14's. Ive managed to remove 3 of the 4 locks with some vice grips but that 4th one is really on there! Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 09-26-2004, 05:20 PM

My '71 that I just purchased long distance came with some of those wheel locks(those funky lugnuts with a strange pattern on top and smooth sides) to protect its valuable 14" aluminum slots(note sarcasm). I need to remove the wheels and tires and swap on some 15" RallyII's for inspection(more then likely it will be permanent) because one of the tires is cut pretty bad on the 14's. Ive managed to remove 3 of the 4 locks with some vice grips but that 4th one is really on there! Any ideas?
Thanks

Old 09-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Chief

A cop told me once that if you drive an impact socket over the lock enough to deform it you'll be able to remove it. Apparently that is how thieves steal wheels when they find locks on them. I have never tried it myself, but give it a try and let us know. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

I used a cold chisel. I hit it on an angle and made a notch. Make sure you notch it counter clockwise. Once you get a good notch on it, just hit the chisel with the hammer and it will turn.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 09-26-2004, 09:19 PM

if you know anyone who works in a chassis shop they'll have a tool to remove these.

snap on and most professional tool vendors carry them.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Most tire shops should have a universal kit to remove the locks.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:14 AM

Many of the patterns are sold at chain auto part stores, you could go buy a kit that has the key. My cousin lost his, and we just hammered a deep socket onto it and pulled them off with it. Ruined the socket, so use a cheap one or one with a lifetime warranty. The guys at Sears will enjoy the bent socket with a lug nut stuck in it.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sears sells special "toothed" sockets to use like easy-outs on rounded-over bolt heads. Maybe they have one that size.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:54 PM

Pound a big impact socket on it as suggested and then use an impact wrench and it should come off -
I've done that after I lost the key -

-3-tube headers into 2.5" flowmaster mandrel bent full exhaust
-Performer intake with a 650cfm edelbrock AVS carb
-Summit 2802 camshaft
(465/.488 224/2
Old 09-28-2004, 05:00 AM

I've also pounded a socket on one to get it off. Just make sure you use one that you will never need again. I couldn't get the socket of the lock when I got it off.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As stated, the "pounded on socket" works.

Loosen up the other 4 lugs on that wheel (with wheel dangling free on jackstands) to lessen the torque required to get the lock off too.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:08 PM

Yesterday I tried the "pounded on socket" idea because that seemed pretty logical. Well, I succeeded...in breaking 3 sockets. It really seemed like it was going to work (justifying the 3 broken sockets! Craftsman btw ) but it did'nt. I temporarily dont have access to my air compressor so using an impact (or any air tool) was'nt an option. I also looked at "damaged bolt removal tools" today and the largest I could find was a 3/4 and since they were 7/8's sockets I ruined I knew 3/4 would'nt be big enough. I did come across a kit(online) designed to remove these but it was $60 and I did'nt really want to blow that much on a "one time use" type of tool. Also I would've had to wait to have it shipped. And lastly, my local auto shops did'nt carry the new "keys".

So what worked? Drilling a hole in the center of it, then beating a chisel on it until I got a notch made. Then spraying in alot of penatrating oil and beating on the chisel in a counter clockwise direction. So MitchGM, you win! Where should I send your prize? Just kidding of course but thank you, and everyone else, for the advice and tips.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

BlkBird, Were you using black impact sockets or standard chrome style sockets? You need to use impact sockets for this fix.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:21 PM

They were "normal" sockets I was using. I dont have all that many impact sockets and the ones I do have were'nt large enough to go over the lug. I would imagine impact sockets, and actually the use of an impact gun would have made it easier but that was'nt an option this time around. The sockets I was using seemed like it was going to work but they just would'nt "bite" into the lug. It was such a smooth surface. Im just happy its off. Nothing like something really stupid holding up progress.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Most auto parts stores sell a set of lugnut removal tools. It is usually a two pack. The sockets have "teeth" and a reverse thread on the inside, that digs into the lugnut when attempting to remove it. I know O'Reilly Auto parts sells them. I saw them yesterday. About 13 bucks