Old 12-19-2003, 09:56 AM

The car belongs to my dad. It's a very plain jane model, even has a column shift with bench seat. The day he bought the car (new) it was a rainy day. He drove it to the insurance company to update with them. When he returned to head home, the car nearly wouldn't start. He took it back to the dealer right away. The dealer did get to see it acting up. They took it into the shop. No codes were found and it began starting fine. Since then the car has started as you would expect unless it's raining or very damp. Occasionally on the wet days it cranks over but sounds like it's flooded. If he presses down on the gas about 1/3, it will start. It runs rough at first, but no smoke. Then all is fine, the car runs and acts as you would expect. The car hasn't left any codes, and the dealer doesn't know how to fix it. The car only has 16k on it, and is still in warranty. Has anyone here run across this with the 3800?

Old 12-19-2003, 09:56 AM

The car belongs to my dad. It's a very plain jane model, even has a column shift with bench seat. The day he bought the car (new) it was a rainy day. He drove it to the insurance company to update with them. When he returned to head home, the car nearly wouldn't start. He took it back to the dealer right away. The dealer did get to see it acting up. They took it into the shop. No codes were found and it began starting fine. Since then the car has started as you would expect unless it's raining or very damp. Occasionally on the wet days it cranks over but sounds like it's flooded. If he presses down on the gas about 1/3, it will start. It runs rough at first, but no smoke. Then all is fine, the car runs and acts as you would expect. The car hasn't left any codes, and the dealer doesn't know how to fix it. The car only has 16k on it, and is still in warranty. Has anyone here run across this with the 3800?

Old 12-20-2003, 08:10 PM

it sounds like and ignition problem. i've seen a few of these that get moisture in the igniton connector and they won't start.

what's the ambient temp when the problem occurs?

does it have fuel pressure during the hard start?

how often does this happen?

call me if you need more info.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Senior Chief

Check the fuel pressure regualtor
see if its leaking intermittently.
will suck fuel into the vac line
cause a long crank, and stumble when it starts.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Senior Chief

fuel pressure regualtor leaking is a VERY common on 3800.

Old 12-20-2003, 08:22 PM

the reg is a common problem but i don't see the damp weather changing the problem.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with you about the weather, but "1/3 throttle car will start" that is due to the introduction of more air allowing the mixture to fire.
I bet if when the car acts up again, if the fuel pressure regulator is immediatly checkd the line to the intake will be wet with fuel.

Old 12-22-2003, 04:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. As this only happens occasionally on the wet days, it's been tough to dianose. At least now we have a couple more things to check. Again thanks much!