Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 PM

I need the front alternator bracket for my 71' bird.

I can't find one anywhere locally.

Do any of you guys have this laying around that you would sell me?

I am also looking for a complete power steering setup for same car.

thank you very much,
danny

1971 Firebird. Just painted Galaxy Silver Metallic. New seat covers, new dash cap, new headliner, new carpet, new insullation, new weatherstripping.
Engine: 400 w/ edelbrock torquer intake, RV cam, ported and polished heads, long tubes. Original 4 spd, now turbo 400 w/ shift it, tranny cooler, and B&M megashifter.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 PM

I need the front alternator bracket for my 71' bird.

I can't find one anywhere locally.

Do any of you guys have this laying around that you would sell me?

I am also looking for a complete power steering setup for same car.

thank you very much,
danny

1971 Firebird. Just painted Galaxy Silver Metallic. New seat covers, new dash cap, new headliner, new carpet, new insullation, new weatherstripping.
Engine: 400 w/ edelbrock torquer intake, RV cam, ported and polished heads, long tubes. Original 4 spd, now turbo 400 w/ shift it, tranny cooler, and B&M megashifter.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:05 PM

here is a pic of my broken one

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03070001_(2).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	14991  

Old 03-07-2004, 06:17 PM

in the above pic. the bottom "arm" that attaches to the bottom bolt on the alt is brocken off. The top arm is also brocken. The wire helps w/ some support when i turn it on.

Does anyone recognize this bracket? Maybe it is the wrong one for my engine.

I tried one from a 77', but the bolts on the water pump don't line up, and the bottom arm is n the way of the water pump.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:18 PM

Danny,

You're right, something about that bracket just doesn't look right. Almost looks like a later year Pontiac or perhaps even a Chevy bracket. I'll see if I can snap a photo of the bracket on my '70 and post it for you. Sorry I don't have any spares - the early 70's accessory brackets seem to be quite rare.

If the bracket looks like it'll work but is simply broken, take it down to your local muffler shop and get them to weld it back together. It won't be perfect but it'll be better than zip ties.

Old 03-12-2004, 10:11 PM

I am really frustrated w/ this damn bracket. I got a hold of an unbroken one, but even this one doesn't fit. Here are the problems:

1. water pump pulley is in the way. Do the 70-73 water pumps use "long" or "short" setup pulley?

2. bolted the top water pump bolt loose enough to see if the bottom waterpump bolt would bolt up, but it doesn't. it seems like it is just maybe 5 mm or so too short to line up w/ the hole on the waterpump. So even if I switch to a long water pump style, the bolt holes still don't line up.

3. Even if they did line up, the hole that the long bolt w/ spacer goes through does not line up w/ the hole in the cylinder head. The part number on the bracket is "482254".

I am so fed up w/ not knowing what the heck is going on, I am ready to rip that entire engine out and melt it!!!

Old 03-12-2004, 10:16 PM

One more thing,

does anyone know where I can get aftermarket brackets for alt, P/S, and A/C compressor?

I can't spend alot of money on stuff like March, and the serpentine belt idea... just decent replacements.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you respond as to what pulleys you currently have for the car? Do you have a current Power Steering pump and is it original? In the meantime, I will look to see what I have in '71 Firebird stuff.

Old 03-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Formula_Phil, the '70 Firebird setup is a one year only and bracket is different.
OK, Chirodan. From a '71 Firebird with A/C. The water pump pulley should be 481040 XT, the crankshaft pulley should be 481038 YB, A/C pulley should be 480509 XS and the power steering pump pulley should be 481042 XD. The bracket you have listed is correct and should work. The only thing I can't find is the bracket that bolts to the back of alternator and intake manifold.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:47 PM

the only accessory on the engine is the alternator. I am wanting to ad power steering though.

The crank has 3 grooves for belts, the water pump has two grooves for belts.

Could it be that the water pump is wrong? Or, maybe it is a 72 year model 400 (YS). Would that matter as far as brackets, etc... go?

I am going to take some pics of all of this so you guys can see what I am talking about.

thanks again guys.... you are saving this engines life...