Old 01-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am trying to install the e-brake cable on my '67 GP convertible. I talked to the folks at Inline Tube and they say the midlle or intermediate cable should be 108 inches long, which it is. My issue is that if I clip it to both of the rear e-brake cables it is not even long enough to reach the transmission cross member much less go thru the cable guides. Does anyone have any insight on this, my guess is I am doing something basicily dumb on my end.

Can anyone tell me how far the rear e-brake cables should extend past the end of the sheathing?

Thanks in advance,
-harry

Old 01-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am trying to install the e-brake cable on my '67 GP convertible. I talked to the folks at Inline Tube and they say the midlle or intermediate cable should be 108 inches long, which it is. My issue is that if I clip it to both of the rear e-brake cables it is not even long enough to reach the transmission cross member much less go thru the cable guides. Does anyone have any insight on this, my guess is I am doing something basicily dumb on my end.

Can anyone tell me how far the rear e-brake cables should extend past the end of the sheathing?

Thanks in advance,
-harry

Old 01-06-2005, 08:03 PM

Harry. I can measure mine this weekend. Did you put the cable under the cross member or above?
Pat

Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pat,

The front cable seems ok, it goes over the crossmemeber, and the middle cable is the correct length according to Inline Tube, what I am wondering about is the two rear cables that go to the brake drums. How far should they extend past the sheathing? It is too darn cold to work in the garage today, but I will try to get a picture of what I mean up by Sunday.

Thanks,
-harry

Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Suspended

rear cables from drums should extend to at least 6 inches in the front of the rear control arm mounting location

Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Senior Chief

Harry,

I'll check the spare rear I have in the shop when I get home, but IIRC the cables only stick out of the sheathing a few inches. Do you have the hook in the cross member in the right place?

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 01-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Way to go team ! ! ! !

Just now I decided to bear the weather, went out to the garage, and slid under the car. The rear cables were only sticking out about an inch from the sheathing. I really gave the rear cables a good hard tug, they "broke loose", and both slid out another 2-3 inches, big difference. Everything now lines up perfectly.

Anyone need a new center cable? I have a nice shiny new spare for the asking, lol.

Alright, just need to get the starter in, run a couple of temp fuel lines, snug up the exhaust, and I get to let this beastie off the jack stands, life is good!

Thanks all,
-harry