The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-21-2003, 09:57 AM

Im redoing my front buckets and have new foam and new covers. I pretty much have most of it figured out except one part. (probably the most important part). The 2 wires that run up and down the back rest towards the middle of the seat, how in the hell do you hog ring those bastards?? My hands hurt and my knuckles are bloody, but i cant get the damn wire on the cover through the foam far enough to get the ring around it. Anyone have any success doing this?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 07-21-2003, 09:57 AM

Im redoing my front buckets and have new foam and new covers. I pretty much have most of it figured out except one part. (probably the most important part). The 2 wires that run up and down the back rest towards the middle of the seat, how in the hell do you hog ring those bastards?? My hands hurt and my knuckles are bloody, but i cant get the damn wire on the cover through the foam far enough to get the ring around it. Anyone have any success doing this?

Thanks,

Matt

Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

When I bought new covers for my seats, they were sewn with too little material around those rods so it would have pulled them way too tight. I didnt put the covers on but the place that did just sewed in 2 new rods on the existing ones that were the correct length like the original covers. Im not sure if this is your problem but maybe you should check your original covers if you still have them and see if this is it. Hopefully this helps.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

Is there a way you can use 2 hog rings connected together?

www.cardomain.com/id/gto_guy

Old 07-21-2003, 06:34 PM

Forget the hog rings. Use plastic zap straps. You can put them all on loose and pull them all up gradually with needle nose pliers a small amount at a time. It worked great for me.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:46 PM

I think i will give that a shot. Did you just cut holes through the foam and pull the zip ties through?

Old 07-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I HAD THE SAME PROB. AND WHAT I DID WAS WENT PICKED UP A SET OF UPHOLST.NEEDLES AT K-MART OR WAL-MART ONE OF THOSE STORES AND SOME 50 LB.MONO. FISHING STRING AND TYIED 4 OR 5 LENTHS OF STRING TO THE NEW COVER THEN PUSHED THE NEEDLE THRU THE FOAM THEN TYIED IT OFF WHERE I WOULD HAVE USED THE HOG RINGS THEN PUT A COUPLE DROPS OF GLUE ON THE KNOTS SO THEY DIDEN;T COME UNDONE