Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-12-2004, 08:08 PM

This is a few really stupid question:

(1)Are there any problems with using a stock Q-Jet with an aftermarket intake? I currently have a 400 from 1970 and it came with an edelbrock performer but no carb. I am thinking about getting a Qjet mostly for gas efficentcy plus its stock appeal.

(2)Are there any performance/efficency gains in an edelbrock intake over stock ones?

(3)What kind of metal were those stock valley pans?

(4)And finally, any recommendations on where to buy head/valley gaskets (I hear fel-pro is good) and a Q-Jet? I apologize in advance for those who's intelligence I offended.

Good enough for the girls I go with!

Old 01-12-2004, 08:08 PM

This is a few really stupid question:

(1)Are there any problems with using a stock Q-Jet with an aftermarket intake? I currently have a 400 from 1970 and it came with an edelbrock performer but no carb. I am thinking about getting a Qjet mostly for gas efficentcy plus its stock appeal.

(2)Are there any performance/efficency gains in an edelbrock intake over stock ones?

(4)And finally, any recommendations on where to buy head/valley gaskets (I hear fel-pro is good) and a Q-Jet? I apologize in advance for those who's intelligence I offended.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. No problem. Do it.

2. Depends on the application. If it's a warmed over street car, keep the cast iron non-EGR intake, or use the Performer. There will be no difference in performance between the two, except for any possible extra heat dissipation and/or wieght savings from using the aluminum part.

3. Sheet metal

4. Fel-Pro. Definitely. As for purchasing a Q-Jet, well, that would be a topic for the carburetor magicians here, like carbking.

No offense taken and welcome to the Boards!

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

The point to life isn't necessarilly the decimal.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 01-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Suspended

New Kid,

From what I have seen, a Quadra-Jet will work just fine on an aftermarket intake. Typically, the divorced choke system will sometimes cause trouble and the EGR valve may cause interference on some models.

The valley trays are made of a mild steel. Always test fit the intake you are going to use because some trays are shaped differently and some intakes won't fit properly with the 'wrong' style of tray.

I'm not a big fan of the Performer Intake, but it is the only one that is smog legal in California. It will not be just a simple bolt-on procedure.

Check out this website for a setp-by-step installation of the Edelbrock Performer Intake:

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....mogintake.html

Regarding your last question, I would check Summit or Jeg's and see what they have listed in the catalog.

Best of luck on your project...Robert

"If I had better junk in my garage, I know I could go faster."

Old 01-13-2004, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the responce. From my understanding 67' does not need to abide by Federal or CA smog laws at all, I'm pretty sure about that.

Old 01-14-2004, 06:23 PM

Read that article and it seems to be a lot of what I wanted to hear and is geared more to the hobbyist than the racer... very helpful. Thanks

Old 01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Golden rule!
Don't always believe the adds!

Answer: The Q-Jet is a great choice for any Pontiac. Variable venturi and small primarys.
you get good gas milage and the punch of large secondarys.

Answer: The Edelbrock performer is lighter than the Stock intake. Has better runners. And has been proven to give a preformance gain.

Answer: Stamped steel Two layers.

Answer: Get Felpro!
And for your valley pan ask for the pushrod cover. 99% of the boneheads have no idea what a Valley pan is and the computer is not any help!

Usually I'm found working on my Pontiac. If you want to find me Look for the white picket fence and all the old Pontiacs parked outside. And the half dissembled engine sprawled all over the driveway!

Old 01-14-2004, 08:52 PM

I just bought the valley pan gasket and head gasket kit from Pontiac Dude's store, the lady, Diane I think it was, was very knowledgable, knew more than I did, not like that's an accomplishment.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I actually preferred a q jet setup on my GTO I restored. It went easy on the gas but still had a kick to it. Stay away from rebuilt/remanufactured carbs you can buy at your local autoparts stores.

Nice choice of gaskets. I always stick with fel pro.

There are definate advantages to using an aftermarket intake.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Answer: The Edelbrock performer is lighter than the Stock intake. Has better runners. And has been proven to give a preformance gain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? What proof?

Stock intakes have larger runners and flow better than a Performer. Only disadvantage is weight. I'm talking about the '67 - '72 variety. Don't know nor care about later intakes though I hear the '73 - '74 is almost as good though it has both a smaller plenum due to EGR protrusions and is heavier.

Anyone I've ever talked to who actually dragstrip tested a Performer vs. a good stock intake didn't get any significant performance gain. Since the stock intake is considerably heavier, the fact that the cars didn't run any faster with the lighter intake tells me it's not doing anything for power.

Hell, super stock cars run factory intakes, even the late '70s intakes and do very well with them.

Now, since New Kid already has the Performer, might as well run it. It's not hurting anything, but I really don't believe it's any better than a stock intake. Would be interested in seeing such proof if it exists.

----------------------------
'72 Formula 400 Lucerne Blue, Blue Deluxe interior - My first car!
'73 Firebird 400/4-speed Black on Black, mix & match.

Old 01-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> From my understanding 67' does not need to abide by Federal or CA smog laws at all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, yes and no.

Thanks to the passing of SB42, '73 and earlier cars, (and starting this year - a 30 year rolling exemption), are exempt from bi-annual smog inspections.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE 100% SMOG EXEMPT!

You can still be pulled over for (rare) roadside visual inspections and given a citation, which can result in a trip to the local smog referee.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

The point to life isn't necessarilly the decimal.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg