The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Senior Chief

My body man told me I need new hood hinges. The repos are $149. I see 'em used all day long for a fraction of that cost but I don't want to buy a set that puts me in the same boat as my current hinges.

So . . .

Is there a way to tell of they are not worn out?

Can I re-use my springs since I have read here that they seldom wear out.

The car is a 69 GTO.

Thanks . . .

Ken

Old 05-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Senior Chief

My body man told me I need new hood hinges. The repos are $149. I see 'em used all day long for a fraction of that cost but I don't want to buy a set that puts me in the same boat as my current hinges.

So . . .

Is there a way to tell of they are not worn out?

Can I re-use my springs since I have read here that they seldom wear out.

The car is a 69 GTO.

Thanks . . .

Ken

Old 05-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If when the hood is shut and latched, the back of the hood sticks up above the cowl level, they are worn out. I'm not an expert, but I would think that the springs would be the item that wears out.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Suspended

the rivets loosen up with time and sometimes the brace itself weakens and the metal bends or flexs, the springs are always fine.

Old 05-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
I had the same problem with the hinges on my 68 GTO.
I've bought two sets on e-bay and both of these had the same problem. I broke down and bought a repro set and they fixed the problem. Now the hood matches the fender. The springs are reuseable. Its a bear getting them on. A really long screwdriver works best unless you are Charles Atlas type and can pull and attach the springs using a rope.
Mike

Old 05-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the responses.

Screw it . . I ponied up the cash and bought a new set. While I had them on the line I also order a 2.5 exhuast kit with x-over and Goerlichs.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

my hood sits high driver side when shut....just 1 a set from e-bay due anyday, hope left side is good....my l/s hinge is visibly bent.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
With the springs off you can check the holes that the rivets go through. If you can move the rivet around, then the hole is enlarged. There isn't much up/down adjustment.
Mike

Old 05-24-2004, 02:15 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 69goatboy:
If when the hood is shut and latched, the back of the hood sticks up above the cowl level, they are worn out. I'm not an expert, but I would think that the springs would be the item that wears out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I purchased new repro hinges for my '66 - and the hood sticks up above the cowl. I was told this was a spring issue. The rivets are not loose - the hinges feel tight - what else could this be from? If you just adjust the hood "down," wwouldn't that solve the raised hood issue?

It's my understanding that I can get the rear of the hood lower by adjusting the back side of the hinge downward and bringing the front side up - is that so?

Old 05-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirty Dan:

It's my understanding that I can get the rear of the hood lower by adjusting the back side of the hinge downward and bringing the front side up - is that so? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's correct. But try the front or rear one at a time, not both. It doesn't take much movement to get a big change. Try to work in 1/8" increments. Also, making this adjustment can also move that side of the hood back towards the cowl, making the front fender edge to hood gap tight on one side. Just loosen the hinge to hood bolts and slide that side forward a bit.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes there is an adjustment procedure in the body manual.. it does make a difference.. you can go up and down and back to front..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 05-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

the hood sticking up in the rear is not worn hinges its the adjustment. my hinges are the org. 69 that are very worn and my hood fits perfect. chech out this thread on this other site.
http://firstgenfirebird.org/ubb/ulti...;f=23;t=001430

Wade

Old 06-02-2004, 04:23 AM

Is there a trick to removing the springs?

Old 06-02-2004, 09:13 AM

The same as above - how can I remove spring without removing rivets and put it back on?

Old 06-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just spent this last week dinking with mine ...replacing 1 side from a good used pair I got from e-bay...to remove-first off have hinge in open position(not as much tension now) turn so spring side faces down...I did this in my driveway...stand on hinge,use crow or pry bar or LARGE screw driver, flat of pry bar area to extend over outside of hinge ,thru spring ,then pry it off.....to install ,flip hinge over put bar thru spring ,pry while you stand on spring 1 foot push down spring other foot ..piece of cake...also , I found that elongating the holes where hinge bolts to fender was a cure for the left side of my hood riding high on the fender when closed....hope this helps TOM

Old 06-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Senior Chief

its easier to remove the spring with the hinge on the car , all I do is just grab one end of the spring and pull and slip it off the hinge. its real easy

Wade

Old 06-02-2004, 10:21 PM

And I quote..."You are correct there is an adjustment at the rear of the hinge. To lower the hood I first raised the front of the hinge all the way to the top. I did this by loosening the front bolt and pushing the hood up. I then went to the rear of the hood and loosened that bolt. Once again I pushed the hood up but this lowers the rear mount. That did the trick. I did the same thing on both side and shzam I have a properly adjusted hood...."

hope that works for all