The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-24-2004, 09:16 PM

I've seen this method (soda stripping) done on the tv show called "Overhauled" but do not know if this process is readily available to purchase? Any info or experience from anyone else?

Old 10-24-2004, 09:16 PM

I've seen this method (soda stripping) done on the tv show called "Overhauled" but do not know if this process is readily available to purchase? Any info or experience from anyone else?

Old 10-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The soda is just another blast media. It is not as hard as conventional media which is why some prefer it. However, this makes it less durable and hence, you can't reuse it like you can other media. Plastic media is probably an equivalent, but very costly choice as well.

I have sand blasted numerous car bodies and body parts with brown sand and have never had a problem. Brown sand (not play sand) is softer than most media used by commercial blasters. If you're doing this yourself, you can use a siphon feed blaster that will take longer to strip rust and paint but will make it very hard (nearly impossible actually) for you to damage a panel.

John

Old 10-25-2004, 02:37 AM

I have a local place here in Houston That stripped my car with soda. They use plain old Arm & Hammer baking soda. It's cheap and does a very good job, but it won't remove old Bondo very well. I use the brown sand also for small parts at home. You must make sure you get blasting sand, because concrete sand or play sand is not sifted and will clog your blaster with the occasional pebble.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:02 PM

Burgundygto, where in Houston did you get your car soda blasted and how much did it cost? I have a friend with a corvette that needs repainting and that would be my choice to strip the paint to the gel coat.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:08 AM

Ron, I went to Houston Metal Cleaning. They are in the Houston phone book, but located north of town in The Woodlands. I got charged by the piece- 60 dollars for a fender, 100 for the hood, about 75 for a door. Those prices included time in an acid tank afterwards, so it would be cheaper for vette parts.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:06 AM

You can get a siphon hose sprayer from Harbor Freight for dirt cheap. Sam's Club sells industrial size boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda. Just shove the siphon hose in the box and you can strip your own car. Just have a big enough compressor to handle the job.

Baking soda is awesome because it won't etch glass, chrome or pit the metal. It is biodegradeable and very safe around the house. Sand is great except when it gets wedged in places that you can't blow out with air.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info. He wants to repaint the whole car so I am going to call them and see what they would charge. I have a small sandblaster but I think it would take a long time with a lot of soda. But it is an idea. I would think that would beat using a razor blade.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting subject about this soda blasting.I read most everyones comments...including digger1978 metioning the siphon type type sprayer.I bought a pressure type sprayer that i had planned to use playsand...which now i learn may need to be sifed for good results.I have however gotten curious if this soda blasting may be feasible using my pressure blaster.I had also considered using a chemicle strip if i could find a good one that less probable to leave a residue or difficulty for priming and painting.Any input from you guys would be nice.Appreciate!

3sp&3:08/10 boltPosi-Pwr Windows-Pwr Antenna
Silvermist w/BlackVinyl Top

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/dracowizard/65/
Old 10-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Chief

For blasting use Dupont Starblaster in the purple bag. Costs about $3.00 per 50lb. bag.
Very fine black, powderlike substance. We used 850lbs to blast my 68 GTO. No warping of any panels. Took it to bare metal including bondo'd
areas. The 850lb included frame, underside, cowl, inside the body shell, and all panels. We used an industrial compressor with a 350lb pot.
I'm still blowing small amounts of sand from the cracks and crevices. I'm sure soda does a great job but is much more costly.........
"mean"

Old 10-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

meanolegoat...that Dupont starblaster sounds nice..but i only have an adverage 6.5 comp.I can use 125lb+ with little effort,do you believe that would work effectively?Do you remeber where you bout the starblaster?Was it necessary to sift much before use?Thanks..appreciate you help.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another place to purchase the sodium bicarbonate is at an industrial chemical supply business. I think the standard is 80# bags.

Sifting isnt necessary unless you recycle the material. After a few times of use though the soda gets so fine it becomes like talcum powder.
It is very dusty, escially in confined areas with no exhaust ventilation. I would deinitely recommend a particulate respirator.

Although environmentally safe, something to consider if doing it at home, the soda is high in alkaline and some vegetation can be damaged or killed by it in high concentration. Seemed that Tall Fescue grass didn't mind it much and probably did good for my soil as it is on the high acidity side.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:34 PM

This is the cost I got from John R Harmon
Soda-Blast.Com,
johnr@soda-blast.com

SofStrip is $20.50 per 50 lb bag in 30 bag quantities. Single bags of 50 lbs are $27.50 each. All prices are plus shipping from the closest point.

I don't know how many bags it would take, but it is not cheap. I used a chemical striper on my car and then a DA sander to finish it off. One trick or at least a couple tricks, first get some good poly and lay on the floor with kitty- litter on top. That way when you apply the chemical and scrap off, the kitty-litter will absorb the liquid and keep it somewhat contained. Then all you have to do is roll up the plastic when through. Second, use plastic wrap, I used plastic drop cloth cut into sections, to cover the applied chemical stripper while letting it do its job before scrapping. That way the chemicals in the stripper will not evaporate as fast and do a better job. And finally, clean, clean, and then clean again before applying a paint sealer coat on the bare metal.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

dracowizard, A buddy of mine owns a body shop and buys the stuff in pallets. I'll ask him for his source. The compressor we used is one commonly seen on constuction sites. Diesel powered (I believe a rotary screw type), very large air line, fitting where media comes out looks like a damn firehose nozzle. It really does a good job for the $$$. After blowing it out of everywhere, and it does go every where. Wiped it down with prep sol. and shot with etching primer. No d/a, no wave. Did not sift it b-4 putting in the pot, cut the bag and threw it in. Had no clogging issues at all. He does not recycle the media due to the low cost. Use only outdoors and with a particulate respirator or forced air....
"mean"

Old 11-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks to RON,GDK_AL and of course to the MEANOLEGOAT.You guys have supplied some invalueable information to things i need so badly to research and learn in this ever so loving project of mine.By being able to ask,recieve and collect the information and experience of you guys...i feel very fortunate.I'm thinking that maybe i can combine a process of chemical stripping/Dupont Starblaster or similiar powder.Again..i can't thank you guys enough.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:17 PM

dracowizard, you are more than welcome for the info. When restoring my 67 Goat in 98, this board and another gave me, and still do, valuable tips. We all love our Pontiacs, a "Brotherhood" that I think is special to us all on here.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

dracowizard..More than welcome!! One more pearl of wisdom re: chemical stripping. Wear full body armour. It gets hot in upstate SC in summer. I'm stripping the decklid in shorts and "brogans" only. Wife wanted to know why I was splashing around in the kids pool instead of working on car!!! You can figure out the problem........
"mean"

Old 11-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing about media blasting is the stuff will get EVERYwhere. I had my car stripped with plastic beads when the bodywork was done...that was eight years or so ago, and I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, but I still get plastic beads filtering out of nooks and crannys now and then.

Seal off the interior as well as you can, to limit the amount of media you'll have to try to remove later.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RON..you're right..much like you said...a brotherhood of sorts...makes me almost feel like posting my story of how/why i'm such a pontiac lover....for it's remarkable to to look back at what was...at what is...and what we all hope continues...

Old 11-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good point Stuart.......i figure i'll have to take great caution/care however i approach this project!