Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't seen a dicussion about this over here yet. So, I'll get the ball rolling. Kauffman Racing is coming out with an AL D-port in about 2 months. Any rumors facts or other?

Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't seen a dicussion about this over here yet. So, I'll get the ball rolling. Kauffman Racing is coming out with an AL D-port in about 2 months. Any rumors facts or other?

Old 06-27-2003, 05:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It was already discussed in the Race section.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i looked back to the beginning of may and dont see an obvious thread for this discussion....I am sure it is there just cant find it.....john

Old 06-27-2003, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

here it is...was in the lobby.

Old 06-27-2003, 07:36 AM
On Vacation

A much better, more "real" discussion can be found here:

http://ladydude.hyperboards.com/inde...num=1056501406

Causin' pain like two bad nurses.....

Old 06-27-2003, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont mean to be a negatitive nellie but whats the point? We have a decent street head. Its made by Edelbrock. I think were all familiar with it.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 06-27-2003, 07:49 AM
On Vacation

That's basically what the link above proves to people...........

Variety is the spice of life though. Perhaps this will encourage Edelbrock to lower their prices to the E-headed Oldsmobile level now...

Old 06-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know the price yet.
You can't polish a turd.
Don't know the flow numbers yet.
Anybody who would choose this Fred Flintstone head over an Ehead, at the same price, is a fool.
Don't know the durability yet
Keep showing your ignorance and willingness to stir the pot, Scott. I thought you said you were going to stop posting here?
Yup.
Wow! An aluminum D port! Unbelievable! I'll take two, please!" --Cletus; Glen Burnie, MD
Again, just speculating. Don't shoot the messenger.
Just some highlights from the "real" discussion

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The discussion of the aluminum D port head on the other board does not PROVE anything. It is merely a discussion of a few people and their opinions. The few people who have so far participated in the discussion hardly represents the large body of Pontiac enthusiasts.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume these heads will have better chambers and ports, less weight, more material for porting, etc. If they can be built for a litlle more than tricked out iron heads, minus the cost of new headers, then they are a win for some people.

Old 06-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The heads have been in developement for some time. I've been involved with the project since the beginning. I can assure you that Jeff and Mark spent the needed time/funds to produce a really nice head with all of the needed features. They will accept most stock components, flow 280cfm right out of the box with a minimum size runner. They sport a modern combustion chamber and plenty of material for porting. Being a "D" port casting they will work with most of the headers and manifolds that we are already running. One of the big disadvantages of the E heads is having to buy expensive poor fitting headers. Considering the limited availability of decent iron heads and the expense to correctly prepare them, these are welcomed items in our list of available aftermarket performance parts......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-27-2003, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got some info today on the heads from Kauffman Racing. The D-port head will be cast aluminum, the intake flow will be about 280 cfm and maybe a bit more out of the box. They are not sure yet on the exhaust flow numbers, they should know in about 3 weeks. On the price for the D-ports they are looking at around $1,200.00 a pair BARE or about the same price as the BARE Edelbrocks. Should know more in 3 weeks. If these heads sell good they have many more projects they want to work on for the Pontiac engine but they would say what they are. They also told me that by the end of the year the will have an all out Racing head for the Pontiac engine, this head will be Billet Aluminum, the intake flow will be 400-420 cfm and the exhaust will flow 350-360 cfm. This billet race head is designed for someone that really wants to go fast, the heads are designed for a blower on the engine. That's the info i got today. No price yet on this race head.

Robert Williams

Old 06-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff R...define expensive poor fitting headers please.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

Poor Fitting? I bought Maddog headers(Thanks Tom V)for my E-Head 67 4 speed GTO. They fit great no problems so far.... The cost $400

Nothing cuts like a Bridgeport. Still made in the USA!

Old 06-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My theory is if you can afford the heads and not the good headers then run cast heads. I can't see how the exhaust numbers will be able to keep in line with the intake flow. I would think the divider wall between the center ports would be a problem especially after porting. An affordable header is not an issue in my eyes. What are these people going to do run a 280 cfm head and put a 1 5/8 set of Summit headers on them? Try and find a QUALITY dport header with 1 7/8-2" tubes. Same price as the round port...Go figure.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 06-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 1-3/4" headers. How much CFM/Hp will they support? What if the potential buyer already has 1-7/8"-2" headers?

Old 06-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am content with a 250 CFM flo head,if I can find a intake to fit the new head,I will buy a set,my Tempest takes a custom set of headers as the engine is moved toward the pass. side and I can reuse mine and not have to spend major money for another custom set of headers.Tom

Old 06-27-2003, 11:07 AM
On Vacation

"I would also like to add that I firmly believe that this head is designed for racers. They will get their sales volume by saying they are street heads, but lets look at something:

What sounds like the main "selling" point of these heads is what is being billed as a revised combustion chamber design. If that is true, then seriously, what good is that going to do anyone on the street? Allow someone to run an extra 1/4 point of compression? Its not going to matter on a street motor. More efficiency? Seriously, on a street motor, who's going to be able to tell? I wouldn't.

The other selling point is airflow. I hear 280cfm being thrown around. If its a street head, why are they throwing around E-head numbers? To compete with them? If I were selling a set of street heads, I wouldn't even mention peak air flow numbers. I'd be talking low lift numbers. Stuff that matters on the street.

These heads are intended for guys who are pushing the envlope with D-port heads, like Jim Yanosky. They're at the end of their rope with the iron stuff and this will provide an easy way out, while still technically being called D-ports."

Sounds like common sense to me.....

Old 06-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

KRE Heads. Bottom line is that KRE will build a head a better cost and performance than the over priced look like crap Ehead. In my opinion Jeff and the team at KRE build some of the best pontiac engines in the country. Their work is second to none.

Brad

Hot Rod Cover Car -April '07
PHR Magazine Sept.'08
1244HP Pump Gas Dyno @ 11psi (32PSI MAX)
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...ipumpgas-2.flv