Old 09-14-2003, 05:19 PM

Guy's i am racking my brains out trying to fiqure what the hell is going on? My 71 T/A wont start. About a month ago i tried to start up the car and it acted like a dead battery well i kind of pushed hard on the ignition switch and low and behold it started? Now it does not i have replaced the starter/Ignition switch(electrical) not key tumbler. All lights/horn/radio/electrical fuel pump work when key is turned on. Battery is good. But the car refuses to start still Need Help?????? Thanks Matt

Old 09-14-2003, 05:19 PM

Guy's i am racking my brains out trying to fiqure what the hell is going on? My 71 T/A wont start. About a month ago i tried to start up the car and it acted like a dead battery well i kind of pushed hard on the ignition switch and low and behold it started? Now it does not i have replaced the starter/Ignition switch(electrical) not key tumbler. All lights/horn/radio/electrical fuel pump work when key is turned on. Battery is good. But the car refuses to start still Need Help?????? Thanks Matt

Old 09-14-2003, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Need nore information. Does the starter turn the engine over and it won't start or is the starter not spinning? If so do you hear the solonoid click when you turn the key to start?

Bill

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 09-14-2003, 06:13 PM

Not getting any starter response i am beginning to think it could be the neutral safety switch? i tried moving the shifter to neutral and other gears nothing like i said before everything works when i turn on the key the electric feul pump comes on? If it is the neutral safety switch are they hard to replace?

Old 09-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a hole you poke right to set the neutral safety switch? Did you check your grounds?

H E Double Hockey Sticks

Old 09-16-2003, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's easy to check if it's the neutral safety switch.

Unplug the connector on the switch ( on the steering column down low).
Take a short piece of wire and jumper the two terminals on the connector. (not the switch)

It will start in any gear so be sure it's in park or neutral.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-16-2003, 07:56 PM

Mine did that once, the rod from the tumbler goes to the switch way back on the column had pushed the switch assembly back just far enough that everything seemed to work but you had to turn the key really hard (snapped an ear off the turny thingy ). Just drop the column and slide the switch assembly forward - then tighten securely!

I'm Shane Reed. I don't need a signature.