Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-04-2022, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guess the corvette guys don't know what they are doing. I've used this shifter in a 61, 63, a 67 and a 72 and it works fine.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-04-2022, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

White lightining hit perfect in mine. Not real thrilled with it though.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The stock Muncie shifter is 3"+ off centerline, and that defines where the hole thru the pan is.

Tell us how you managed to go thru that stock hole with a shifter that is within an inch of the centerline?

Old 06-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what do you not like about the white lightening? I was thinking of buying one when I do my conversion. Thanks Alan

Old 06-04-2022, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
The stock Muncie shifter is 3"+ off centerline, and that defines where the hole thru the pan is.

Tell us how you managed to go thru that stock hole with a shifter that is within an inch of the centerline?
That's not entirely true. Many of your factory Hurst/Muncie shifters, especially anything to do with a console, had many different shifter body configurations, and on top of that, there were many different stick configurations.
So they don't just come up through the floor 3 inches offset, unless you were running an aftermarket Hurst Super Shifter, which is designed as such to put it closer to your seat, and sticks straight up through the floor. That shifter requires serious floor cutting.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t know what to tell you. It came up thru the hump and I can use it.

Old 06-04-2022, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I don’t know what to tell you. It came up thru the hump and I can use it.

I've installed, maybe 7 or 8 of these shifters so far and have not had one customer complaint on them. It's also one of a handful of 5 speed shifters I've used that makes the 2-3 power shift effortless, which is something that was always a gripe with the TKO transmissions since their inception.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

White Lightening worked perfect in mine / with factory console

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 06-04-2022, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
White Lightening worked perfect in mine / with factory console
What offset did you get?

Old 06-04-2022, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hurst is not the only one with a true offset shift tower (and not just the dogleg offset attachment piece like pictured).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 06-04-2022, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am still baffled how you guys got the Tremec shifter up thru the pan - this is the shifter porch installed. The contours fit the pan perfectly and lined up with a stock type Hurst shifter perfectly. The crossmember lined up correctly too.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I am still baffled how you guys got the Tremec shifter up thru the pan - this is the shifter porch installed. The contours fit the pan perfectly and lined up with a stock type Hurst shifter perfectly. The crossmember lined up correctly too.
I think your install has a higher degree of difficulty. You had both the skill and the will to make your own (very nice) swap motor mounts. I think you painstakingly made sure the engine was square for/aft and left right. Problem here may be that the factory did not. Some of our cars are factory offset in the bay for various packaging or other issues the engineers deemed fit. If your now perfectly centered/aligned engine deviates from that (crankshaft centerline height is relevant as well for vertical driveline angles) this could be a factor in your case.

I'm watching your build closely because A. it's a really cool build, and B. I'm building a L96 (keeping VVT) for my '71 and I just ordered a TKX for it last week. I have the UMI sliding mounts though.

'79 T/A Solar Gold Metallic W72/WS6

'71 GT-37
Old 06-05-2022, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to cut my tunnel to fit mine in.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220126_160608.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	592188  

Old 06-05-2022, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodshaker View Post
I think your install has a higher degree of difficulty. You had both the skill and the will to make your own (very nice) swap motor mounts. I think you painstakingly made sure the engine was square for/aft and left right. Problem here may be that the factory did not. Some of our cars are factory offset in the bay for various packaging or other issues the engineers deemed fit. If your now perfectly centered/aligned engine deviates from that (crankshaft centerline height is relevant as well for vertical driveline angles) this could be a factor in your case.

I'm watching your build closely because A. it's a really cool build, and B. I'm building a L96 (keeping VVT) for my '71 and I just ordered a TKX for it last week. I have the UMI sliding mounts though.
Yep, that explains everything. I haven't followed or know anything about the build, but now that this has come to light, it sounds like scarebird has created his own situation and is by no means anything close to a factory style install, which is what I'm referring to. Once you go to a completely different engine platform, move motor mounts and change angles, all bets are off. Most 5 speed installs including the OP in this thread are referring to a simple overdrive upgrade in an existing stock drivetrain configuration. So I think that is where all this confusion is coming from.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:19 AM
Boost Engineer

Never had an issue with the 1964, 65, or 66 shifters in my three GTOs.
The stick configuration was different depending on the application: Bench
Seat, vs Bucket Seat, vs Race applications.

Same "Porch" would work with all three applications.

All three of mine were welded stick applications for the Seat Application.

Tom V.

I did have to slightly rework the Floor Pan and Porch for the Doug Nash 5 speed application though.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-05-2022, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
... it sounds like scarebird has created his own situation and is by no means anything close to a factory style install, which is what I'm referring to....
What?

Aftermarket shift porch is contoured to fit the floor pan in one place. Previous engine was a Pontiac 400 with stock mounts, stock bellhousing and Muncie Rockcrusher with factory shifter using factory mount plate and stock crossmember. All fit perfectly.

See this factory console? I wonder why the shifter hole is offset?

maybe this is why...

Old 06-05-2022, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Read the whole quote, not just taken out of context.

That's not what you have now.

And yes, the White Lightenings are made to fit that factory console as well.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe this will help you understand easier?? I'm guessing you are just looking at the picture and assuming that's the only way it comes.

https://americanpowertrain.com/shop/...ec-tkx-5-speed

Click on "choose an option" and you can pick your offset. There is one there that works fine with your setup.

From there, the really nice thing about this shifter is what I mentioned earlier, you can rotate that arm any number of positions and fine tune shifter placement within the console to suit your driving comfort.

Old 06-05-2022, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What you posted is: "by no means anything close to a factory style install"

Rubbish.

I specifically put the L84 engine interface in the same exact position so if I decide to produce the motor mounts they will work correctly - I have a bit of practice at this...

With the L84 as low as it will go, it matches the crank centerline height of the Pontiac engine. This clears the crossmember by a quarter inch as the retrofit LT pan is a bit bulkier than a stock Pontiac pan. Even with this, the trans needs every millimeter of upward tilt to maintain a proper driveline angle - as noted the floor pan will need some massaging (not cutting) to clear the shifter plate and get this critical angle.

This will NOT allow the extra 2" of height the WL shifter requires without cutting additional clearance - only a low-profile side mounted shifter will allow this correct angle - hence my note to the original poster to consider this.

On my personal car, I will examine my old automatic console and see if it allow modification to the top plate to use a manual shifter. If so, I will run the shifter dead center, eliminate the porch, patch then open up the floor hole to clear and simply use a tilted shifter handle.