THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Awesome job everyone! Makes me wish I still had my 63 Tempest!

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
The Following User Says Thank You to spartazoo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2022, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Intake with top machined and holes drilled and threaded.
Tradermike 2012 here:
This Post puts into perspective all I have learned by taking an Auto-Cad course at Atlantic Vo-Tech in South Fla. The Course took two years to complete and earned an "A" for my effort. I was retrained because I could not Install Carpet any more. Now, I have had the chance to witness your Tunnel Ram Procedure, an actual job, in real time. This Post allows me to understand where Technology has come in this Industry and how it is used.

I am Impressed with all you Engineers, Designers, Auto-Cad Draftsman, Machinist's and the CNC Personel that have to Input" Lines of Computer code" in order to run "tool paths", so that the Process of Manufacturing can be completed. I almost went back to school for CNC operator but found myself renting rooms in two Mobile Homes, that I cut up into 11 rooms in total, and that was easier than going to work every day.

I would like to know if my 1979 Pontiac TA with the 428 ci Motor and "D"-Port Heads will work with the later Tunnel Ram Intake. I have a scoop on my Hood, so that won't be a problem. Please give me an assessment of what this would entail in my case using say a 500 to 650 cfm new Carbs. , determine what the costs, Itemized too approx. figures please. I want to see if I am even in the same league as you people, that have already committed. I see a once in a lifetime chance to upgrade my Vehicle if it is cost effective. Now, my GTO 1966
Rochester Tri-Power Intake and 1966 GTO Tri-Power carbs. could be sold or traded to pay for my costs. What is my system worth in 100% percent "Good" Factory condition?

I Believe that I could sell the Intake and 3 Rochester Carbs. as a package for a lot more than the $2500 Price tag for the custom manufactured Tunnel Ram. So, it depends if my "D"-Port Heads, Exhaust and Intake Manifold will even work with the New Tunnel Ram system. "I am thinking out loud here" about an even trade, where someone exchanges a complete working system for my complete system. Since my system is the Original Number Matching, Date Coded Equipment from a 1966 GTO making it very valuable for resale at the auction. Especially, when it is returned to another 1966 GTO or 1966 Vehicle.

I even have 2 out of 3 of those Metal Tags that Rochester used on the Top of the Air Horn to identify the Carbs. authenticity. I have made sure that all the parts are within these Carbs. and that they meet OEM Factory standards. They are remanufactured using genuine GM parts and Gaskets. Mike out.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-22-2022 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 66 Tri Power fully restored can be had for around $2500-$3K. Big key is if it has the correct carbs, linkage and fuel lines and not some cobbled together crap. Most used units I see are $1500 or so. I am not sure where the final cost of this intake will be but figure around $3500 outfitted with carbs, water neck, fuel line and linkage. I seriously doubt you would find someone to trade a 66 Tripower even up for a working Bathtub Intake with AFB's etc.

John and Tom, this thing looks great. Getting a 428 ready just for this intake.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 02-22-2022, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,the late Bathtub would work with you D port heads.A pair of Chevy single quad 409 carbs would be the EZ way IMO to go,they allow for more hood clearance than the 4in top AFB.I started another thread on the Bathtubs as this one has got so long.It has pics of how tall the carb flange is from the center of the valley cover.You would want to keep your thermostat housing off you Tripower or buy a new one.I will tell you it will drive better than your tripower!Hood clearance can be a issue depending on what kind of air cleaners you want to use.I myself unless you drive in a lot of sandstorms A/Cs are over rated.Tom

Old 02-22-2022, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The new thread has pics of the completed intake on my engine.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about making an optional to for a single Dominator carb?

Old 02-23-2022, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tim,that sounds like a good project for you!Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
A 66 Tri Power fully restored can be had for around $2500-$3K. The big key is if it has the correct carbs, linkage and fuel lines and not some cobbled together crap. Most used units I see are $1500 or so. I am not sure where the final cost of this intake will be but figure around $3500 outfitted with carbs, water neck, fuel line and linkage. I seriously doubt you would find someone to trade a 66 Tri-power even up for a working Bathtub Intake with AFB's etc.

John and Tom, this thing looks great. Getting a 428 ready just for this intake.
Mike here: I see Rochester Clones for Rat Rods selling for the sum of $3000 all day long. Mine are Remanufactured Originals with "no" Indian war coloring on them. These Rare 1966 Rochester Carbs. are OEM Factory units with numbers matching GTO's 389 and 421 ci Engines are well preserved and rare. I would Take know less than $5,000 for the Intake Manifold and Carbs. if I were to sell them out right, but I had no intention of ever selling them ... until now. I will contemplate an even exchange for the complete Tunnel ram set up, installed on my Vehicle. Here is my proposal, I would drive out to anywhere in the U.S. to make this barter arrangement only because I have the Van and trailer to deliver the equipment safely.

I would bring my roommate and tools pulling the Car Hauler. We would stay there and Port my D-Port Heads to the Bath Tub Intake Manifold with the guidance of a Pro telling us what to do. I would expect two remanufactured Carbs., Gaskets and Linkage. All Fuel Lines, linkage and the Gas paid to and from where the job is to be done. We will stay in my conversion Van to sleep. We will work day and night to get the job done. A client can use his in-stock Carbs too. The client is required to do his part to help in getting the job done fast.

The client would have delivery of the Complete Tri-Power system that is as close to new as I can get it. He would have to pay for the Tunnel Ram and have the knowledge and tools and skills to take on this endeavor and or have a Pro on his pay roll. Make "know" mistake, I am not a fool here, those Rochester Carbs. and Intake Manifold Installed on Various 1966 Vehicles are Period correct, I have 2 out of 3 of those triangular Tags included as well. This set-up will increase the Value of any period correct Vehicle they were used on in 1966 when you go to sell at the Auction.

I would rather barter and trade this way or I can just buy the Tunnel Ram and use the money from the proceeds to accomplish the rest. It could give some (older than me) ex - racer a way to pass on" How to Port and Polish the Tunnel Ram to my D-Port heads". Just a thought. I would stay until the job is complete, this way there is honesty and fairness on both ends. Keep in mind my roommate needs to get back to work, so we are not playing around here.

The client or recipient would save money Bartering and end up dropping my 1966 Tri-Power Rochester set-up on to his Vehicle in his own time. This is a turn key operation. As I see it, the Tunnel Ram has no real Value in Increasing the value of my Car. The
Pontiac Tri-Powers and Intake on my 428 ci HO in a 1979 Pontiac TA as a package with Th 400 Trans. complete does. I just don't want to miss out on this once in a life opportunity, I see, unfolding under my Internet Nose.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-25-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A used 66 Tri Power is not worth $5K, look on ebay you will find complete set-ups for $2-3K, if you find a buyer let me know. I have 2 of them on the shelf and one on a 67 GTO with a 428.
The 66 Tri Power is only valuable to the guy that has a 66 Tri Power car and is missing his set up and wants to restore it. Other than that, it is eye candy or a gee whiz item for shows and cruise nights.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 02-25-2022, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
A used 66 Tri Power is not worth $5K, look on Ebay you will find complete set-ups for $2-3K, if you find a buyer let me know. I have 2 of them on the shelf and one on a 67 GTO with a 428.
The 66 Tri Power is only valuable to the guy that has a 66 Tri Power car and is missing his set up and wants to restore it. Other than that, it is eye candy or a gee whiz item for shows and cruise nights.

"The 66 Tri Power is only valuable to the guy that has a 66 Tri Power car and is missing his set up and wants to restore it".

Mikes Reply: "That's, who I am looking to barter with". You must understand there is a demand for this set and it is those that need it that will pay the money. I will not sell this Tri-Power set-up unless I can even get one of these Tunnel Rams and I am not holding my breath waiting for it to happen, the first one has not come off the production line yet. So, my offer stands and that is only if I can get the Tunnel Ram and not before. It will be a simultaneous exchange or nothing, I keep what I have and be happy I own one.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-25-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will tell you if you dont get on the list you WONT get one.John told me he has already got a cost raise from the Foundry.He is committed to this run and there might not ever be another run.I think the run was to be 50 and we have 45 on the list now.It will be John that has the final decision.Im sure when rubber meets the road and money has to be put up there will be some fall outs.And the early intake pictured is a production unit.FAR better than we could have ever hoped for in a machining sample.I cant believe the late style will be any diff.Tom

Old 02-25-2022, 11:19 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I will tell you if you dont get on the list you WONT get one.John told me he has already got a cost raise from the Foundry.He is committed to this run and there might not ever be another run.I think the run was to be 50 and we have 45 on the list now.It will be John that has the final decision.Im sure when rubber meets the road and money has to be put up there will be some fall outs.And the early intake pictured is a production unit.FAR better than we could have ever hoped for in a machining sample.I cant believe the late style will be any diff.Tom
I am Impressed with the Prototype version and I know your diligence in the matter will succeed, I am still shopping the Investment and talking out loud to see if anyone is interested in my unit. By the way will I gain any HP by upgrading to the Tunnel ram?

Old 02-25-2022, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 409 carb is the 3345 single quad 409.We are not making ANY HP claims!Tripowers are NOT known for making great HP.I have had 30 HP gains on engines I have done back to back test on the dyno over best single 4 runs.I have been VERY transparent on port size,height of intake and what carbs will give best hood clearance.Skip Fix has posted a height to carb flange on most Pontiac intakes.It requires AFB carbs with 5in tops to get the best hood clearance.You like to do research do a little more!Tom

Old 02-25-2022, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The 409 carb is the 3345 single quad 409.We are not making ANY HP claims!Tripowers are NOT known for making great HP.I have had 30 HP gains on engines I have done back to back test on the dyno over best single 4 runs.I have been VERY transparent on port size,height of intake and what carbs will give best hood clearance.Skip Fix has posted a height to carb flange on most Pontiac intakes.It requires AFB carbs with 5in tops to get the best hood clearance.You like to do research do a little more!Tom
Mike Reply: a gain of 30 HP is significant with no promises and I am looking at Carter and some tell me I should go with the new Edelbrock so far. I don't want to read through 600 posts again, just tell me if I need to port match the Intake to Heads, please, is that being Transparent?

Also, I read about Progressive Linkage and one other option would be convenchable or regular? What or how do they work?

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-25-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ports on the intake will be like STOCK factory 48 or 96 D port ports.E carbs are not a good choice for street driving,they race OK but dont seem to drive great.The reason I said the 409 carbs is you can buy after market 409 dual quad linkage.I ALWAYS run progressive linkage on the street,solid if racing.Fuel lines will need to be fabed but a EZ deal with a 3/8 tube bender and some 3/8 fuel line and a flaring tool.Tom

Old 02-25-2022, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3345 pic so you can see where fuel inlet is.Tom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25399640839...wAAOSwa3lb-K8c

Old 02-25-2022, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Intake on my 62 GP.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry,would not load.There is a pic in this thread.Tom

Old 02-25-2022, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

try this
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...1&d=1618516425

Old 02-25-2022, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The ports on the intake will be like STOCK factory 48 or 96 D port ports. Edelbrock carbs. are not a good choice for street driving, they race OK but don't seem to drive greatly. The reason I said the 409 carbs is you can buy aftermarket 409 dual quad linkage. I ALWAYS run progressive linkage on the street, solid if racing. Fuel lines will need to be fabricated, but an EZ deal with a 3/8" tube bender and some 3/8" fuel line and a flaring tool. Tom
I have "670" Heads; "will I have to do any additional work, like Port match my Heads to the Tunnel Ram"; I am not acquainted with the Heads you mentioned.

With Progressive Linkage, will both Primaries begin to work and then both secondaries come in "next" and simultaneously?

Fuel Lines won't be a problem with Inline Tube around, they made my Tri-Power ones.

The 409 Carbs. that you prefer are Carter AFB rear 3361s and 3804s front, these numbers I got off the Internet? I thought that Edelbrock was a copy of Carter AFB, have I got that wrong?

Tom, I realize this Job has taken Its toll on you, these are my final questions, your doing a fantastic Job too, not many people could do what you are doing nor as well. Mike out.

Lucky for me I have the Scoop to help clear any height Issues, fiddling with Air Filters is my last concern.

By the way your Photo from the Plan View came in for me, very nice.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-25-2022 at 02:13 PM.