Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I meant 3/8 not 3/4 by the way

Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
I've seen threads on other forums about crappy mechanical fuel pumps. On here there was a thread

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=805930

where Airtex pumps were discussed and seemed to be something to avoid. What about the rebuildable pumps from Holley and Edelbrock, possibly RobbMc. Are any of these a better choice than Airtex or do all mechanical pumps have problems?

For those of us on a budget, the mechanical pump are realistic choices. The new tank with in-tank electric pump may be the best but $$$$. Thoughts??
I ordered an Airtex and an ACDelco fuel pump several months ago for a Pontiac 400.
They are the SAME pump and come in the same packaging except the ACDelco
box had an ACDelco sticker on the outside of the box. The ONLY difference was the price.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway star View Post
I ordered an Airtex and an ACDelco fuel pump several months ago for a Pontiac 400.
They are the SAME pump and come in the same packaging except the ACDelco
box had an ACDelco sticker on the outside of the box. The ONLY difference was the price.
I've done the same thing, that's why I said earlier when you buy the AC pumps you really have no idea what you're getting because the pumps no longer have the "AC" insignia cast into the pump body like an original does. So for all intensive purposes we can only assume it's a reboxed Airtex or Carter.

I have all 3 pumps here for a Chevrolet application (Airtex, Carter, AC) that I've bought within the last year and after you pull all 3 out of the box you literally cannot tell them apart.

Specs on all 3 from various sources are listed at 40 GPH and 5-7 PSI.

So I think the days of buying an excellent stock appearing mechanical pump are long gone. If you need the car to appear stock or fit within a rules package, you're stuck with those choices above. Otherwise I think the RobbMC or possibly the Edelbrock is a better alternative if a mechanical pump is needed.

I'm still running a "real" AC pump on my Formula that I installed nearly 20 years ago back when you could still buy a real AC pump. It works fantastic. I bought a replacement Carter pump a couple years back for it (knowing the AC's aren't real AC's anymore) just as a precaution because of age, but I'm just reluctant to change the darn thing until it completely dies, lol. I'm afraid fuel delivery problems will become a problem as a result, so I keep my fingers crossed the AC pump keeps going.