THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-28-2022, 11:06 AM

Anyone actually seriously interested in buying any car auction or other should do their homework before they put their hand up to bid, as well check the car out before it hits the block that way no surprises when you paid 6 figures then have buyers remorse. documentation is key, inspection also key.

Observations from sitting in your living room recliner tells you very little!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-28-2022, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Anyone actually seriously interested in buying any car auction or other should do their homework before they put their hand up to bid, as well check the car out before it hits the block that way no surprises when you paid 6 figures then have buyers remorse. documentation is key, inspection also key.

Observations from sitting in your living room recliner tells you very little!
So very well said

Old 01-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirBirds View Post
Hey Wakepowell...Out of 100% respect I am curious.....Did you actually go and see this 69 TA as you suggested you were going to do? Or is this just info gathered from the "Pontiac Rumor Mill"..
Just Curious...As an owner of a RAIV TA I hate to see the sale of a car be "suppressed" by words....Everything stated in the previous post left the air of a problem car but with no details it could be more harmful than helpful...Especially for the market...which is important to EVERYONE involved...
I can certainly understand why you would NOT post negative details about a car here but.......isn't this kind of what is happening? Why not go all the way and state what has been "heard" or "said" about the car...THAT may be helpful...This way if the sale is LESS THAN MARKET everyone will be able to point to a reason why...Again, helps the market...
Thanks for letting me put my thoughts out there on this...Some of this stuff is more important than people realize...
Again, just putting my personal thoughts out there...
Thanks for your questions, yes I am here at BJ and I have inspected the car as well as gathered photos from previous inspections. Your points are very valid and I agree with them.

If you would like more info, feel free to PM me.

Hopefully anyone interested in buying this car or any car of this rarity should do there due diligence like I have done.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We were there earlier this week. Looked at the 69 TA. The car presents well. As far as stories, don't know. Owner wasn't around to ask questions. Many of the cars are vetted if asked and/or paid for the service. Something many other auctions don't offer. Pontiacs are a little different bread though. You have PHS availability but don't know if anyone is on site to vette the Ponchos like there are for Chevrolets and the like.

As far as Pontiacs go, Barrett Jackson always has a large selection and each year seems to be a different flavor. Just a couple years ago they had no less than 10 or 12 69 GTO judges and they all sold for over 6 figures. This year I saw a 74 GTO that went across the block yesterday for $45k, and a very nice silver 70 judge with the RAIII 4 speed hammered at $64k yesterday that was a very nice looking car in person. Respectable prices that aren't over the top. They have quite a few 76-79 black and gold TA's on the premises. I saw a nice Coronado gold 70 Formula loaded with nice options while I was there too. Caught my eye as it's nearly identical to mine. Been a long time since I've seen a real 70 Formula at the auction. I think that goes across today. There were several 68-69 GTO's and several 65's as well as quite a few 67 GTO's we saw.

As far as prices go, so far I haven't seen anything that is too crazy. If you watched Mecum in Florida a week or two ago, now those prices were absolutely nuts. Remains to be seen today and tomorrow if BJ starts commanding higher prices as the better stuff starts coming across.

What they do seem to be light on this year is 69 Z/28's (I mean real ones) and 70-72 Z/28's. I only saw one 71 Z/28 in the main tent, that was it. They had maybe 2 or 3 69 Z/28's that were nice and vetted by Jerry. Those go across this weekend and will command the higher prices. A couple of really nice LS6 Chevelles, one convertable, but not as many as I've seen at BJ in the past. Quite a few hemi cars. Overall a fairly wide selection of some pretty neat stuff.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I like that Steve gives a little history of the cars seems like he is very knowledgeable about every car or truck that goes through. I can’t be positive but I think they may be changing channels tomorrow or Friday? Thought I heard them say that but I was walking into another room.
Looks Like the Live coverage has switched to History Channel.
For DISH subscribers that is channel 120
Guide shows coverage starting at Noon today
3 pm local time Saturday. Maybe different time for other areas

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 01-28-2022, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coronado Gold 70 Formula just hammered at $42k. Not crazy at all and about what I would expect to see on the regular market.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I like that Steve gives a little history of the cars seems like he is very knowledgeable about every car or truck that goes through.
Steve Magnante has a YouTube channel, and in one of his recent videos he goes through the research he does to prepare for the auctions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOsYdmTJcoY His other videos are mostly junkyard crawls, but now that it's winter he's been concentrating on videos about scale models. He does those videos from his living room; I'm pretty sure he's single, based on the living room decor.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He seems like a nice guy. While I was there looking at a 69 Hemi Charger, he just walked right up beside me and was taking pictures of the engine. I didn't even realize it at first. I said hi, he was polite but I didn't want to hold him up. Seemed like he was jumping from car to car taking certain pics.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:38 PM

Oh my goodness that mint turquoise with red interior GTO was stunning! 1 of 1 mistake.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2022, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Oh my goodness that mint turquoise with red interior GTO was stunning! 1 of 1 mistake.
Someone liked it, it brought $159k

We looked at it, it was actually a stunning combination when seen in person

Old 01-29-2022, 05:48 PM

I was looking at the Mecam website at results from their auction in Florida, was it 2 weeks ago? Anyway, I thought the mid to late 2nd gen trans ams were going at much higher prices, actually thought all cars were getting higher prices. I wonder if it is that COVID phenomenon where people have more money in their pockets because they haven't been able to spend it..... like trips, vacations, new cars, etc.

A 75 like mine (455 4sp) got $49,500, I was gobsmacked.

Just something I was noticing.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes Mecum was bringing some higher prices, more than most expected.

There was a 76 455/4-speed TA at BJ. Nice car, black/gold, I looked at it a few days ago. If I'm not mistaken it grabbed something like $65k?? I'd have to go back to verify.

Another 69 Z/28 just hammered at $265k. That makes 3 of them now over the $200k mark. I was expecting to see them a bit higher this year, but not that much.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We looked at this 69 GTO convertable. Had the new LT4 engine swapped in. Just a beautiful car.

It just hammered for $400k, call it $440k after buyer fee.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...ERTIBLE-251477

Old 01-29-2022, 07:02 PM

After many years of watching Barrett-Jackson I have found the only way I can get through the seemingly endless slog of commercials, late model "special editions", Corvettes, Camaros, celebrity cars, and anything remotely connected to Carroll Shelby, is to record it and speedscan through it. This cuts my viewing time to about 1/3 of the broadcast time. Also, too many times the Pontiacs are approaching the block when they cut to a commercial, or they may briefly recap one that was sold during the break. Streaming from their site does help this and you can also see cars that go over the block during non-broadcast times, although I don't have the patience to spend the required time to stream it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 31 B'ville For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We stream it so we don't miss anything from commercials and it cuts out the jabber from the broadcasters on stage.

As usual, we are vastly different from most car people as we like pretty much everything, but to cut down on viewing time we walk the premises days before and take note of the cars we want to pay attention to, which consequently is a pretty large list. With lot numbers you get a good idea when they'll roll across. During prime time evenings I just leave it on anyway.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:38 PM

Funny, I do the same - I dvr it and watch later, can fast forward thru commercials, etc. It really does cut down on the time it takes to watch. I have Thursday, Friday, and today recorded and haven't watched a minute of it yet. Have been too busy this week, plus I retire in less than a month and can then watch at my leisure!

We also want to get away from winter and travel down to Scottsdale to walk around and look at the cars some year soon, never been to anything like that. Other fun things to do down there as well, like be outside when it is not below 0. Although, went cross country skiing this morning out back, we do enjoy that. Will definitely have more time next year.

Cannot wait to get more work done around the house and in the yard, and do some maintenance on my car. There just isn't enough time to get everything done on weekends. Soon I will be saying, "what's a weekend?"

Last edited by Riverbird455; 01-29-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbird455 View Post
Funny, I do the same - I dvr it and watch later, can fast forward thru commercials, etc. It really does cut down on the time it takes to watch. I have Thursday, Friday, and today recorded and haven't watched a minute of it yet. Have been too busy this week, plus I retire in less than a month and can then watch at my leisure!

Cannot wait to have the time to get some work done around the house and yard, and do some maintenance on my car. There just isn't enough time to get everything done on weekends. Soon I will be saying, "what's a wekend?"
congrats

Old 01-29-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
We looked at this 69 GTO convertable. Had the new LT4 engine swapped in. Just a beautiful car.

It just hammered for $400k, call it $440k after buyer fee.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...ERTIBLE-251477
It does look nice but what's with the lazy RH hideaway headlight door? I guess $400k doesn't go as far as it used to.... : D

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:14 PM

Wayyyyyyy to many commercials! I missed the burgundy 73 455 SD TA anyone see it go across?

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 01-29-2022, 09:17 PM

No interest in all the “Super Cars” and their million dollar price tags CRIKEY! Where the Good cars lol

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA