Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 PM

Default 4cyl 4bbl questions

I'm in the process of putting a factory 4bbl manifold on my 62 sedan with a 4 cylinder and auto trans. Wondering if there are any non factory carbs that work with this setup , or if i should just hold out for a factory unit, and what goes into finding or making the linkage?

Old 09-25-2014, 11:16 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about the Carter 9400 AFB...it's a 400 cfm carb that's popular with these cars and they seem to work really well. But they're rare...every now and then on Ebay, they'll pop up for about a few hundred and perhaps even try to post an ad for one here. I have a factory Rochester for my '62 Lemans coupe but finding out the linkage, particularly the kickdown linkage (mine's an auto, too) is a question I've been asking around here, too...to no avail so far. Factory Rochester 4gc's are very rare and just hope it's complete if you find one. I've seen other guys use 390 cfm Holleys, too.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I bought one about 15 or so years ago, it came with the original Carter SD 4-barrel. WAAAAAAAY too big for the street.

I had access to both the factory 4-GC and the Carter 9400s AFB. Opted to use the 9400s, with good results.

Today, both are available BUT: the 9400s is expensive, and the original Rochester even more so.

The original Rochester has the advantage of being original for car shows and estate sales. The Carter has the advantage of the Carter Strip Kit, although these are not as common as they once were.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:34 PM

Carbking, sounds like you know quite a bit about Tempest carbs...I've got a 4cyl '62 Lemans sport coupe that originally had a 1bbl Rochester, but I now have a stock Rochester 4jet. It's nearly all set to go onto the engine except for one thing...the tranny kickdown linkage. It's an automatic but the shop manual shows a different linkage from the kickdown cable to the bracket on the carb. Right now, the kickdown has the bracket for the 1 bbl...can I still use this with a stud (which it's missing) or would I have to find or make a new bracket of my own? And where can I find a stud for it? Thanks!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default 4GC

I have yet to find out what the stock jetting is for my 4GC. I have 3 or 4 but pretty sure none of them were original to a 195.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Poncho, I remember you asked me a while back on what kind of jets mine uses, my apologies for not getting back to you...I have the jet, but I don't know what kind it is or what its size is. The spec sheet with the carb rebuild kit doesn't say. Probably next weekend, I'll rebuild the carb and I can mail it to you. Might be a little dirty, but should just need to be cleaned up.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default jets

According to the A.E.A. Standards of Adjustment tune up chart:
Rochester 4GC - 4 cylinder- no.7023069 (standard) and 7023070 (auto.) The jets are Fixed Jets- primary #7002649 for the standard trans or primary #7002646 for the auto trans. All models used secondary jets #7008685. It does show some auto trans applications used a primary jet #7002644.

I don't have any experience with the 4 cylinder four barrel cab, so can't verify what the charts list, but the above jet numbers are FYI.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

Farmer, thank you much! That will give me a good starting point with my carb setup.