Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-17-2022, 10:03 AM
Senior Chief

Default exhaust manifold change and heater box

Hi,

1. I want to change the headers to some good flowing original style manifolds.
Do you have suggestions, what I should use? Will I feel a difference on a mainly street driven 462cui with a 236/242 HR cam in a 66 GTO?

2. I have an AC car and want to use a non AC heater box. The AC wasn't installed when I got the car 12 years ago and I don't plan on getting an AC. I just want a smooth finish and it also seems to be very hard to get anything else than a non AC heater box. Is this possible or is there a difference in the firewall betwenn AC and non AC?

Thanks a lot!
Chris

Old 08-17-2022, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I converted my 70 GTO ac firewall to non-ac, by replacing the firewall. You will notice that the ac firewall heater core opening is vertically, whereas the non ac heater core opening is horizontal. Although you may still be able to use the ac heater/ac control, I elected to install the non ac control and wiring harness. I've seen where some have just install an ac opening block off and either left as is or recut another opening.