Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-06-2021, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used them for my Z06. There are known issues with the LS6's Ti connecting rod coating, Ti intake valve coating and both intake and exhaust guides. So high levels of Ti ,Fe or bronze can indicate that something is on borrowed time. It will be up to you to determine where it is coming from but you also get good info on Zn/Mn content, viscosity, signs of coolant or fuel in your oil etc. They want you to pull your oil warmed up and because I am impatient, the only complaint I have is waiting 2 weeks or so for analysis results. On the upside they compare your most recent analysis against your baseline and against the averages for your engine and advise you of potential trouble they see.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Blackstone analysis.doc (151.5 KB, 59 views)

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.

Last edited by Formula8; 01-06-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Ohhhhhhh

Hahahaha

Just Say No To 8” Flakes pause pause

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blackstone's testing for fuel dilution is less than accurate. On a carb'd hobby Pontiac, I'd suspect that fuel dilution would be the major concern since few of us run up many miles on each oil change. After a little investigation, I sent a sample from my 2.7 EcoBoost to https://www.oaitesting.com/

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well...

That was enlightening.

Thanks to those who provided some useful insight.

Think I’ll send my next couple oil changes in just out of pure curiosity. Be at least worth it to check how my oil of choice is doing.

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 01-06-2021, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchell View Post
Well...

That was enlightening.

Thanks to those who provided some useful insight.

Think I’ll send my next couple oil changes in just out of pure curiosity. Be at least worth it to check how my oil of choice is doing.
And that's really what it's good for. Lets you know how good your oil and air filters are doing based on contaminants, how much longer it's recommended you go before service, and just gives you an overall idea of how things are doing.

Doesn't really matter what kind of whiz bang filter setup you're running, an oil analysis still should be done to determine how it's doing to make informed decisions on service intervals. Once you have a good baseline, you're set. It's not necessary to do all the time unless you've changed something.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 01-07-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
When you gather a sample, do you do it hot or cold?
it is recommended to grab the oil sample in the middle of the pour as it is draining. Blackstone has instructions included with the sample bottles.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
And there goes the "Bob the oil guy" BS

My name is Bob, I'm going to tell you about oil and you WILL believe me because I am "Bob the oil guy".

LOL!
I enjoy my visits to BITOG, just like I enjoy my visits to this forum. There is some pretty good reading over there.

Yet, like most anywhere else in life, there are people in both forums that you simply choose not to pay much attention to due to their unwavering condescending tone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to propuckstopper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by daduck View Post
it is recommended to grab the oil sample in the middle of the pour as it is draining.
Exactly like a urine sample at the clinic.

Old 01-07-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Did the builder repair it under warranty?
He did not, even though I re-introduced the oil analysis sheets to him from 2015 and 2016.

He gave me a terrible, inaccurate description of the cause of the failure. He also wanted about $2000.00 to put it back together. Guys in the community here say he comes up with stories all the time. So I picked up the parts and said thank you. I am done with him for good.

The engine is being assembled by another builder as we speak. I should have it back very soon.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propuckstopper View Post
He did not, even though I re-introduced the oil analysis sheets to him from 2015 and 2016.

He gave me a terrible, inaccurate description of the cause of the failure. He also wanted about $2000.00 to put it back together. Guys in the community here say he comes up with stories all the time. So I picked up the parts and said thank you. I am done with him for good.
WHO???

Old 01-07-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
WHO???
I don't want to bash the guy on a public forum. It is just not my style. I do have another one of his engines (built in 2012) in my other car and that engine is perfectly healthy according to a recent used oil analysis.

I have known the guy for over 25 years and it is just in the last five years or so that things seem to have gotten funny over there.

The best way to "punish" him is simply to stop giving him money.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The best way to "punish" him is simply to stop giving him money.
I agree. How can the rest of us avoid him if we don't know who it is?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:14 AM

He is up here in Canada, so I don't think you will cross his path.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Quote:
He is up here in Canada, so I don't think you will cross his path.
So you don't think people here have work done in Canada?

I know quite a few Canadians that have work done here in the US. Hot too many Canadian drag racers that don't own or know someone running a Jan-Cen Racing engine. The Moly chassis in my Fiero was done in Canada.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't want to bash the guy on a public forum. It is just not my style. .
My hats off to ya for being classy. There are many in this forum that have no trouble bashing someone, even when they have no experience with the party.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 01-08-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
So you don't think people here have work done in Canada?

I know quite a few Canadians that have work done here in the US. Hot too many Canadian drag racers that don't own or know someone running a Jan-Cen Racing engine. The Moly chassis in my Fiero was done in Canada.
Yes, Chief, I am fully aware that Americans have work done in Canada. But please read my previous posts. I mention two very important points:

1. I am not into bashing people on a public forum (and that is not going to change anytime soon, thank you).

2. I do have another one of his engines in another car since 2012 that runs great and is very healthy according to a recent used oil analysis.

The bottom line is the builder and I agreed to disagree on his prognosis. He knows he is feeding me a line, and I know he is feeding me a line.

Whether or not he is comfortable sleeping at night is totally out of my control. But I will say one thing: he won't be sleeping with any more of my money under his pillow.

The Following User Says Thank You to propuckstopper For This Useful Post: