THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 PM

The same thing happened to Indy car racing, when all cars became the same, they lost me as a fan.
What needs to happen to Nascar, is to take a lot of the rules out, let people experiment and run different kinds of designs, but have some limits on horsepower and technology. Also they need to run more small track designs and run on dirt as much as possible.
Money has killed all sports for me, and paying athletes millions of dollars for a sport, is ludicrous. I refuse to attend any professional sport outing anymore because of the money they pay out, and the money I would have to pay to watch someone else play a game.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
The same thing happened to Indy car racing, when all cars became the same, they lost me as a fan.
What needs to happen to Nascar, is to take a lot of the rules out, let people experiment and run different kinds of designs, but have some limits on horsepower and technology. Also they need to run more small track designs and run on dirt as much as possible.
Money has killed all sports for me, and paying athletes millions of dollars for a sport, is ludicrous. I refuse to attend any professional sport outing anymore because of the money they pay out, and the money I would have to pay to watch someone else play a game.
Not to mention autographs used to be free and the drivers would stay and sign as long as someone was there for one, now your expected to line up and pay.

Gregg

Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never seen anyone at fontana charging for autographs!They have open sessions in the fan zone.I will guarantee it is easier to get a autograph from a NASCAR driver than a NFL or NBA star.Tom

Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
I was never a big fan of NASCAR but when you go back to the days when they were truly stock cars, that was cool.

As stated above, the average spectator has no connection to the cars running around the track. Their Chevy has nothing in common with the Chevy running around. So much for win on Sunday, Sell on Monday.

Unfortunately, that's the way this country is going. Everyone has to have an equal chance at everything, and all the cars basically are the same. Long gone are the days of trying wild things like when the Superbirds hit the track.
X2! that about sums it up for me. A rear wheel drive Toyota Camry (body style)of all things, with an OHV V8. and the other assorted FWD bodystyle (or named ) cars over the last 2 and a half decades with RWD, and OHV V8s. Why not just run giant electric slot cars with the drivers pulling the triggers in the overhead booths, so no one has a chance of getting injured.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
How much does an average ticket cost?
The last race I saw was at Chicagoland Speedway (Nationwide), and tickets were around $50 each (we got to see an ARCA race as well). Not a bad deal really, but tickets for regular Sprint Cup races are higher, typically beginning at $50, and as high as $100 for a Pit/Paddock pass. That price is actually in line with many stick-and-ball major sports (NBA, NFL, etc).

It;s whatever your passion is, but the economy, and a general waning interest in motorsports, has continued to hurt NASCAR, NHRA, and other forms of auto racing. IndyCar and F1 have also been declining.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

The prices at Daytona this year were much lower than I've seen in the past.
I remember where there was a waiting list for Bristol tickets, now its 3/4 full.

I miss some of the old tracks, and really don't like the newer mile and a half, cookie cutter tracks. I'd take North Wilkesboro over Kansas or Chicago any day.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the depression (called economic downturn to be politically correct), coupled with the fact that as every year passes, fewer and fewer younger kids are interested in auto racing in general. They're being raised to believe the internal combustion is evil, and because of their financial status, they rarely get to enjoy muscle cars. Plus, they simply don't care that much about cars anymore. They don't turn wrenches, and they're far more engaged in escaping reality via videogames and social networking.

Of course, NASCAR isn't dying because younger people are losing interest, but it's part of the reason.

TV coverage is TOO good now, and it's much cheaper to watch a race on HDTV, or via the web, tied into your favorite driver's radio, or following them using their in-car camera. The NFL is facing the same problem. It's much better to watch (or DVR) a game, watch it in HD, takes breaks, etc., than freezing your butt off in 15 degree weather watching a single big screen TV, and paying $75 a ticket.

got that right--excatly what im seeing at car shows and events around metro detroit--all that show up are senior citizens---they are the only ones that can afford the old cars anyway for the most part--and like you said, kids arent interested in cars and mechanical stuff as we were anymore.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Attendance is down, and as Mike posted earlier, it has a lot to do with the economy.

At least NASCAR isn't looking to cancel racing at any current venues (although they could drop Indy from the schedule without breaking my heart as it's the worst racing venue on the NASCAR circuit) like the IRL is.

IRL attendance at Pocono was so bad last year in the return to that track that they might not complete the 3 year deal to run there:

Quote:
The head of Pocono Raceway suggested this week that IndyCar racing might not return to the Tricky Triangle in 2015 because of slow ticket sales.
Brandon Igdalsky, Pocono Raceway's president and chief executive officer, told The Associated Press that the Pocono IndyCar 500 could end after this season because fans aren't buying tickets. Sunday's 500-mile race in Long Pond is the second of a three-year deal Pocono Raceway signed in 2013.

"The big thing is the fans," Igdalsky told The Associated Press. "The fans begged us to bring it back. Every study and report we did, they all said they'd come. But they're not coming in the numbers we need them to come in. Are these fans really here? In Pennsylvania? In the Andrettis' backyard? Why aren't they coming out? Where are they?"

Open-wheel racing returned to Pocono in 2013, 24 years after its last appearance. Attendance was estimated at 30,000...

This week, however, Igdalsky told The Associated Press that he expected a significant drop in attendance for the IndyCar race. Pocono Raceway has promoted flexible ticket-pricing options, with general-admission seats starting at $25 and 50 percent discounts for kids.
With the exception of IMS, NASCAR outdraws the IRL at every other track that the two series both run on. If it weren't for the "tradition" of the Indy 500 (it's the IRL Super Bowl) NASCAR might outdraw it there too. I remember when they used to have estimates of over 400,000 at Indy for the 500. Now the estimates are down to less than 300,000 and the TV audiences are tanking too:

[quote]Top 10 Diminished Sporting Events

Indianapolis 500

Widely recognized as one of the three most significant events in international motorsports, the Indy 500 has undoubtedly seen an ebb in popularity. As NASCAR continues to flourish throughout the U.S., open-wheel racing and the IndyCar Series have faltered, with the decline most evident in its flagship event.

its appeal has apparently diminished among television audiences. Last year’s edition saw viewership decrease 22 percent compared to the 2008 race and there are few signs to suggest that fan interest will grow significantly anytime soon. Whether it is the proliferation of foreign drivers, Danica Patrick’s minimal success, or, more likely, a combination of those factors, the Indy 500 – and IndyCar racing at large – has certainly taken a backseat for American sports fans.[quote]

As far as Mike's comment on TV coverage being too good - I will agree that HDTV and larger screens is a huge improvement in watching racing on TV. But I still prefer to be at the track to watching at home. As a TV viewer - you can only see what they choose to show you. When you're there in person - you get to watch what you want to see.

Other than watching Danica screw up - I could care less about watching her tour the track as the reigning Touring Princess...

Old 07-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
bring back the cigaretts...Winsten Cup, get rid of the TOYJOKA cars, bring back the old name plates..Chevy-Buick-Pontiac-Plymouth/Dodge-Olds.
And a wardrobe male-funtion with Dumika
Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Plymouth are all done and not coming back.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interest will always be there for the diehard fan, all the BS tweaks they've tried for the DH fan have driven away the mid level and casual fan.
GWC, Stupid
Lucky Dog, Stupid
Competition Yellow, Stupid
Hollywood Hotel, Really Stupid
Boogidy BS, Stupid
Chase, Stupid
Changing the Chase every year, more Stupid
Moving target rules enforcement, Stupid
Phantom Cautions, Stupid

Loosing Speed channel was also a huge mistake, it was how myself and a lot of people kept up and retained interest. I won't go looking for information for something I'm only a casual fan of. I didn't even know they were running Indy this weekend until yesterday, or that they had last weekend off. With Speed I'd know what was going on and might watch the race.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 AM

YuP.........The economy and better TV coverage has kept folks away from live
races. Did I mention lousy Sunday weather lately?

My winter house is just a few miles from the Daytona track.
I have been to very few races in person.

WHY?
You can't SEE nothing when the cars are on the other side of the track!
The seats SUCK and give ya a sore butt and back!
You have to climb and walk stairs and ramps FOREVER to get a $6.00 beer, hotdog
or take a pee.....................
At 60 yo its gettin' tough trudging those miles! I ain't 21 anymore!

I would rather go see the local baseball team for $5 bucks and watch NASCAR at home!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Im watching Eldora,the trucks on dirt right now on Fox sports 1!tom
I watched it too !! Didn't realize they had started that ..COOL.
And without all the hoopala same old drivers routine...not that I don't appreciate the other drivers..
The sport was a grass roots deal and they took it out of there....what did NASCAR expect ?! The same can be said for NHRA..Same old,same old,every time..
And I love drag racing. The main thing I do like most is how creative people get building their cars....All the diggers,bikes,funny cars, ProStocks all look the same..
I know a lot has to do with safety(and $$$$)...just saying..
Sorry Jack..

NOTE:I like a good old nitro race but enough is enough..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..

Last edited by 60man; 07-24-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you REALLY care there is NASCAR.com!Tom

Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
The prices at Daytona this year were much lower than I've seen in the past.
I remember where there was a waiting list for Bristol tickets, now its 3/4 full.

I miss some of the old tracks, and really don't like the newer mile and a half, cookie cutter tracks. I'd take North Wilkesboro over Kansas or Chicago any day.
Same here, David. The short tracks were the best racing in NASCAR. The 1.5 mile super speedways provide what can only be described as "predictable" racing(predictable= BORING).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
If you REALLY care there is NASCAR.com!Tom
That's sort of the problem for a lot of casual fans Tom, we used to be able to know when and where a race was taking place, get results and other information without having to go to individual websites, just hit the speed channel once or twice a week in the evening for all motorsports updates.
Because in all honesty I don't care enough to go to NASCAR .com, NHRA, F1, Tudor, or any other website for any schedule information.
If it's in front of me I'll take notice, if I have to go look for it I won't, I'd think a lot of casual fans are the same way.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You answered your own question,you dont care.There is also jayskis site for inside info.Tom

Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I was stating is I think they've lost the casual fan, the diehards will always be there. They seem to be catering only to them so their numbers are falling.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The SPEED Channel was replaced by Velocity. Plenty of NASCAR shows to keep you up to date - if you care.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Chief

I used to watch every race on TV (had to record some but still watched), and tried to attend at least one every year. Not really sure what changed but lately I'll tune in late in the race and catch the last 10-15 laps. It seems that is when the "racing" really happens. The cost of traveling to and attending a race just doesn't seem worth it anymore.
Too many rules. Too many rule changes. Not enough real racing.
Thursday night racing at the local paved track provides more racing at a way cheaper cost. Very few of the local racers make a profit in a year, they race for the thrill and the trophy.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Suspended