THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Things made in Russia

While installing Noico at 3am in the morning I started wondering where it's made ... turns out .. Russia. For some reason I'd rather give them my money than China.

Anyway... Russia also produces some other interesting things. Like some of the best vacuum tubes in the world, and some of the hardest to find tubes. Evidently since USSR technology was a bit behind they continued using vacuum tubes in lots of military and industrial equipment a couple decades beyond the US. So by the time they stopped using vacuum tubes there was a market around the world for people maintaining vintage electronics and the factories just switched to supply that market.

They have quite a business going now providing numerous types of vintage electronics, electro-mechanical devices, vintage military sort of hardware, even some old Soviet era looking light fixtures, clothing, boots etc. A lot of it very ... well, I guess durable is the right word. Fine quality might be a bit lacking, along with wonderful fit and finish, but most of it is built with that 50's sort of durability in mind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 07:52 AM
Boost Engineer

It has been known for years that a fighter built with modern electronics will fall from the sky if attacked with EMF radiation. Vacuum tubes are not affected nearly as much or not at all by EMF. So in simple terms the USA/NATO fighters fall from the sky and the Russian Vacuum Tube planes, continue to fly and be able to deliver their "packages" of death against whoever they are fighting at the time.

That knowledge has been known for 30+ years.
The USA assumes we would not do a land based retaliation but would do a Sub Based Nuke strike.

As far as vintage electronics goes the collectors benefit. And the Russian Military benefits.

And the Russian Planes would continue to fly in Europe/Asia.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 08:12 AM
Senior Chief

I have a shortwave radio that will survive EM pulse. Look up the Collins R390A radio. It is serial #3 of the 55,000 made for the US military. Fantastic history. Not a single transistor in the whole 50lbs of machine.

It is a beast, and with nothing more than a magnetic CB antenna, I can listen to SE Asia. And FWIW, Radio Havana has some good music!

Spring project is a 30ft Rohn antenna.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 09:23 AM

There's a lot to be said about running a points distributor.

The Following User Says Thank You to JLBIII For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think EMP will destroy the condensor in a points system.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:32 AM

I used to dabble in the vintage stereo culture a bit. Like us with our cars, there are audiophiles who are devoted to one make over others, tube vs. transistor etc. The hunt for vintage tubes, NOS parts is every bit as fun and challenging too. Purists tend to view eastern European tubes as a mixed blessing. While certainly a necessity to keep the hobby going, like everything else there’s a wide variation in quality. And guys who swear they can "hear" differences between different batch runs of vacuum tubes let alone different brands are not easily satisfied. Quality control standards apparently not nearly as high in Eastern Europe as when Westinghouse or Zenith made tubes.

There's a novel from maybe 15 years ago titled "One Second After" about a targeted low level nuclear attack on North America using the resulting EMP to take out things like communications and the electrical grid rather than destroying cities. It paints a rather bleak picture as to how dependent modern civilization might be in terms of a fragile technology. Found the premise very thought provoking and very disturbing to say the least.

Last edited by 22687; 11-05-2021 at 10:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 22687 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a few things that go pew pew made in the Motherland.

Speaking of things made in Russia, I was looking at an old fuel filter on one of my cars and it says it's made there.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-05-2021, 11:44 AM
Senior Chief

In the last century things being "rad-hard" were common. Tube electronics are much more robust but also use a lot more power.

My Judge will still run.

The Following User Says Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I work in defense. Around here a current hot button is Counter UAS. Not big GA Predators, but more like Amazon quad copters that you can strap a little plastique to and perform a little bit of terror with. Its kinda the new form of the IEDs that we were all so afraid of when we first went back to the middle east in the early 2000s.

I asked a friend who works on that topic why we dont just fire an EMP blast at them. He said that everyone always says that, but that it actually violates some international arms treaty or something. I cant quote the exact law or what its from. Essentially its firing a hot weapon at a foreign nation. So for anyone who has ever seen Charlie Wilson's War, the line "Thats how a cold war becomes a hot war real quick. Thats something you want to keep a close eye on." comes to mind

Moral of the story being that it isnt really that big of a threat because in the world of mutually assured destruction era your big players mostly avoid firing that hot weapon at each other. Not that its a non factor, but so is a nuclear bomb and we just dont think about it overly much because everyone wants to avoid what would come next.

Funny story, the other thing people always say is "Well just give me a shotgun and ill knock that thing out of the sky for you". So we actually tried that, we put a bunch of former soldiers on a boat at the lake here and flew a bunch of small UAVs around and had them take their shot at robot trap shooting. Lets just say that their success rate was not very high at shooting those things down.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 11-05-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I probably should have said "Eastern Europe" while yes a lot of made in Russia, a lot is also made in former Soviet Bloc countries. I think most of the tubes come from these former Soviet countries.

Vintage guitar amps fans are very familiar with the Russian tubes, they are the affordable option to very expensive matched sets from Germany I think (and probably former Eastern Germany).

I'm fascinated by some of their Soviet era gadgetry, electro-mechanical devices, self powered radios, flash lights. And of course the Czechoslovakian AK's which are the best in the world I think.

Just kind of fascinating how lots of the old factories didn't miss a beat, kept on making the same old stuff and started selling to a new market. In the US where growth demands, share holder demands, market share etc. lead to the demise of so many old businesses the Russians just shifted from supply the govt. to supplying niche markets. With no shareholders to answer to, no demands for dividends, no pressures to modernize .. they just kept on trucking.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

"success rate was not very high". Depends on what they were using. Sawed off 12 gauge with birdshot would have quite a spread. Glock not so unless using .410 shot.

Could really screw up television reception with a model T magneto. Don't need to knock out all electronics, just about 100 yard radius.

Key is having the proper tool for the proper job. WMD not needed.

Old 11-05-2021, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post

Funny story, the other thing people always say is "Well just give me a shotgun and ill knock that thing out of the sky for you". So we actually tried that, we put a bunch of former soldiers on a boat at the lake here and flew a bunch of small UAVs around and had them take their shot at robot trap shooting. Lets just say that their success rate was not very high at shooting those things down.
They need to practice up with full auto 22LR And with tracers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PuEc2OPbM

Clay

Old 11-05-2021, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were using 12 gauges from why I’m told. Yeah wasn’t there but about 4 different dudes have told me about it.

What you gotta remember though is that A. This was from a boat. And more importantly B. This was a simulated combat situation. So these UAVs were casually hovering but were actively trying to avoid being shot.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 11-05-2021, 06:01 PM

I finally got to go meet my mother’s parents (East Germany) after the wall came down. It was like stepping back in time. Even as late as 2012, the old EG towns were still “closing” at dark.
Went NE of Moscow several hours by train to see a co worker once. I was the town “attraction” lol. Had to take my own sunshine in with me, as Rodion lived in a remote area

The Following User Says Thank You to vr1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 06:32 PM
Senior Chief

"What you gotta remember..." considered that so would want to be sitting and use birdshot (lotsa small pellets) and a shortened barrel for maximum spread.

Circus sharpshooters often load revolvers with .410 shot. Hard to miss a clay target.

Now if being he-men standing in a boat with long guns and double-ought buck (6 pellets) man stoppers well....

Personally follow the Penske rule, unfair advantages are good.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Google "Box IEMP and Mission Cyber" for a decent read

Vacuum tubes: the good ones have thoriated tungsten filaments for long electron emission life. your China tube mileage may differ from GE/RCA, Svetlana, Groove tube. Ebay search "russian power tube" and see the smoking hi-power value for low cost.

Working on a TWT tube-based payload for long-life spacecraft

Heathkit HW-101 with all the updates.
KB3ULA

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2021, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the world of ‘80’s power rock and metal, Sovtek tubes and tube amplifiers were hot items. Ungodly loud amplifiers as I recall.

Old 11-06-2021, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there are some Soviet electro mechanical reverb/distortion units are very popular right now ... original old ones, often still in their original wooden cases.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:13 PM
Senior Chief

Want a tube to last forever, reduce the filament voltage by about 10%. Back in the day boosting the filament increased everything (sensitivity, power) at the expense of longevity.

Was very deep into tube Trans-Oceanics back at the turn of the century.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padgett For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I think EMP will destroy the condensor in a points system.
No, it isn’t an integrated circuit. Capacitors and vacuum tubes care nearly indestructible in regards to EMP. This is WHY the Soviets stayed with them so long.

Dr. Thomas Sowell