Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Suspended

LOL Let me get right on laying out the recipe to suite your needs. NOT How about you post up the specs since you know it all.

You continue to be a legend in your own mind.

All I was trying to do is help folks think about what they are doing. But we'll not have any of that. Carry on with your rhetoric that supports the "legend".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Agree, Aaron BUT. How about you post up some piston specs (for the typical Pontiac buyer) from any catalog that shows a CYLINDER PRESSURE SPEC for the piston vs the Advertised Compression Ratio spec (typically advertised in the paperwork). Also post up the other specs: Camshaft specs, camshaft lobe positions, variable or fixed camshaft phasing, .................................................. ........................... Pressure sensors you used to take the readings Kistler or others.

Also post up the new slang words used around the local Drive-In:
"My Pressure per Crank Angle Degree is bigger than your Pressure per Crank Angle Degree."

Much more useful for the average first time Boosted Engine Guy to say:

Charlie66 has a 8.75 to 1 Compression Ratio engine with XXX Turbo Camshaft and YYY volume cylinder heads, with ZZZ head gasket and BBB dish volume in his pistons and can make 750 hp with a 194 cid Pontiac engine at 35 psi of boost pressure.

How about we have a vote (poll) on which way is more useful for the typical Boost Guy.

Tom V.

MILLWRIGHTS ROCK!

Last edited by Aaron Quinton; 01-30-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock C View Post
Travis is the man
^^^^ TRUTH^^^^^

and isn't a d!ck and posts meaningful information. The dude is EF Hutton.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick67bird View Post
I have aluminum D port heads that I am wondering what the maximum compression can be ran on E-85. It is a street engine that will be raced once a while. Mainly a grudge/ who is faster type of car for my group of friends.

The heads are 72 cc 340 cfm version from KRE that have been reworked by SD Performance.
here's a compression to e85 chart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e85-comp-ratio.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	446087  

Old 01-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
LOL Let me get right on laying out the recipe to suite your needs. NOT How about you post up the specs since you know it all.

You continue to be a legend in your own mind.

All I was trying to do is help folks think about what they are doing. But we'll not have any of that. Carry on with your rhetoric that supports the "legend".
Whatever Aaron, carry on. The 1.0L Ford Turbo engine was rated best engine in the world 3 times. The 2.3L Turbo engine was rated near the top of the 10 best engines in the world this year. That is a bit more than a Legend. Good engines come out of Research Projects.
A boosted Coyote engine made over 1400 rear wheel horsepower. Think about it Aaron, you know, as well as most everyone else does that that is not luck or a legend, that is a fact. Have a nice day Aaron. You would have to ask the Ford Research people if I was a Legend in Research. I just did the hob for 39 years.

Have a nice evening and a great day tomorrow Aaron.

Tom V.

ps Your Daddy's diesel engines never made the list or any V-8 engine in the world made the list this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOE ENGINE.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	446088  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 01-31-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:21 AM

Tom, I'm still interested in having you visit my shop and look over my project. Currently I have nearly unlimited space for turbos and plumbing. But that can change if I don't assign protected area. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss a time. I'm in the western burbs, so probably 30 min drive time.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Your Daddy's diesel engines never made the list or any V-8 engine in the world made the list this year.
Thanx for clearing that up tom....now where is that sarcasm emoji???

Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Boost Engineer

535 tall deck, Aaron is just a "wanna be" boost guy (unlike his father who works in the Turbo diesel industry). I am a "been there, done that for 40 years", boost guy. so guys like you get a choice on who you want to listen too. Isn't the PY Board great.

Course if you don't want to hang here all the time you could come over and vosit the Advanced Boosting section of the Turbo Forums and ask your questions there too.
Lot of boost guys and the Advance Boosting guys are really sharp on a lot of different combinations as related to compression ratio (Maximum Compression Ratio being your original question. Not how much cylinder pressure can I live with.
By the way if you read Hugh McInnis Turbocharger Book, Corky Bell's Boosting books, or other accurate books written by experts, you will find that on a Spark ignition engine, the cylinder pressure only rises about 15% even at very high HP levels with the Correct Compression Ratio for the engine.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Suspended

Thanks and you do the same.

Quote:
Have a nice evening and a great day tomorrow Aaron.
Your continual twisting and rhetoric is why capable skip past this place, well done.
Which engines that you designed and we're responsible for made any lists? Or did you do the out of college entry level turbo matching job? You once again demonstrate why people run from this place. Well done Jesus!
Quote:
ps Your Daddy's diesel engines never made the list or any V-8 engine in the world made the list this year.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:33 AM

I read some good info from Tom and the info you post is some aloof and BS quote from Prof. Snape! So you tell me who's really helping.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Suspended

Oh Joy. TV has two accounts.

Again well done sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Paw View Post
I read some good info from Tom and the info you post is some aloof and BS quote from Prof. Snape! So you tell me who's really helping.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Boost Engineer

Well Tiger Paw, I got 2 accounts, huh!

I would say that is a lot better vs being a "NO ACCOUNT" Guy who is jealous.

Tom V.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Tom, he wouldn't know of your involvement on projects with my former employer. But I can attest, the success of the 2.3 turbo program made our VP very proud. Tom has many appreciated folks here in Detroit.
I'm anxious to show you my new project and go over components and layout.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Boost Engineer

Have not forgot about you and will get an address and phone number and come visit one of these days and we can get started.

Tom V.

The day they had the fuel spill on I-75 I had lunch with the Director of Borg Warner Turbo Systems in Auburn Hills at their Headquarters in Michigan. Borg Warner has built some nice turbos for us over the last several years. Their Ball Bearing Turbo Stuff is very good.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick67bird View Post
Thanks, Tom. I enjoy the profession immensly. I enjoy all the fabrication that we get to do and like working through some of the challenging problems we get presented with. Some day I may use my degree, but for right now I enjoy the work I do too much.

After talking with you and Bruce I have decided to use my NOS for now and build an aftermarket block when they become available.
Not to hijack, but in same trade. Not many qualified ones left. In process of rebuilding a CM&E 6" double H rig with double slabbers. 200HP on each. Came out of a 20 year old Simpson mill in the Seattle are. You familiar with the mill ?
I am lead fabricator on the project. Rebuilding it from top to bottom. Its huge, frame is as big as a small house. I am doing all the guards for slabbers and band wheels right now. We are going to mock up the entire thing, turn the wheels under power, run the tempsonic set works. Fun year or two project. Its kind of a huge jigsaw puzzle. Lots of parts, few prints and pictures. Just rebuild make it work and install.
I installed the 9" and 3 link in my 69 GTO. Trust my own welds vs someone else, even though they would be fine.
Good luck with your project.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Fabricators get extra points in my book!

Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Boost Engineer

X2, Good Welders get a lot of respect. Fabricators, being a level above, get even more respect in my opinion. Quality shops with both got a lot of my business in my old job.

Tom V.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Not to hijack, but in same trade. Not many qualified ones left. In process of rebuilding a CM&E 6" double H rig with double slabbers. 200HP on each. Came out of a 20 year old Simpson mill in the Seattle are. You familiar with the mill ?
I am lead fabricator on the project. Rebuilding it from top to bottom. Its huge, frame is as big as a small house. I am doing all the guards for slabbers and band wheels right now. We are going to mock up the entire thing, turn the wheels under power, run the tempsonic set works. Fun year or two project. Its kind of a huge jigsaw puzzle. Lots of parts, few prints and pictures. Just rebuild make it work and install.
I installed the 9" and 3 link in my 69 GTO. Trust my own welds vs someone else, even though they would be fine.
Good luck with your project.
I have not done any work in a sawmill unfortunately. I would love to have had some experience in one though. I bet that the work that you are on that slabber is pretty challenging especially if you did not get the blueprints. I work in the nuclear industry working all the mechanical equipment in the plant. Since the plant I work at is so old we frequently have to rebuild or maintain equipment without any prints and usually have to figure out how it is supposed to work and then we can complete the project. It is good to talk to other Millwrights and share information. I wish you luck on completing the project. Let me know how it turns out.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Suspended

LOL, coming for a guy that quotes himself in his own sig line. PRICELESS! The "Legend" lives on! And being an "engineer", what school did you go to? You continue to be my entertainment. Thank you for that!

Get your car within 2 hours of Indy and I'm in. You do have a car that is a Pontiac? Or did this become the Fix Or Repair Daily forum?

Quote:
I would say that is a lot better vs being a "NO ACCOUNT" Guy who is jealous.

Tom V.

Last edited by Aaron Quinton; 02-10-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
LOL, coming for a guy that quotes himself in his own sig line. PRICELESS! The "Legend" lives on! And being an "engineer", what school did you go to? You continue to be my entertainment. Thank you for that!

Get your car within 2 hours of Indy and I'm in. You do have a car that is a Pontiac? Or did this become the Fix Or Repair Daily forum?
Why within 2hrs of Indy? You can't drive further?

Old 02-11-2017, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Because I'm old and lazy and have too much going on to deal with silliness. What are you thinking sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Why within 2hrs of Indy? You can't drive further?