Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 PM

Default Is it possible...

for the engine to still suck in air when just clicking the starter with no intake manifold (trying to remove the timing cover) on? Trying to loosen the harmonic balancer bolt and (unsuccessfully) tried that trick with using a breaker bar to loosen the bolt by clicking the starter and had some masking tape covering the head where the intake manifold meets so dirt and particulates don't get into the engine. After trying a few times, noticed that part of the tape toward the rear of the engine was missing and another part looked like it was tearing and concave into one of the holes. Maybe I just did a sloppy job putting that tape on when I did a while ago, but I don't think I did...really hope I'm not unwittingly destroying this engine, hope that piece of tape isn't down in the guts of the engine. Thanks

Old 06-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default tape

Each intake port will suck in air when the engine is turned over.....better look for some tape in the intake port or cylinder. A fine mesh wire over the intake ports would protect from debrie entering while allowing air to pass.

To break the harmonic balancer bolt loose, Lock the flywheel and put a long pipe on a half inch breaker bar. Pull counter clockwise and the bolt should come loose.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:57 PM

Ooooooh ok...thanks for the info! Trying to be cautious and careful as possible but if this car wants to get at you, it's going to find a way. Wonder if I'll have to remove the valley pan for that? From what I hear, that's not a fun job...but I've never done that. Keith's going to come to my house and help me with this harmonic balancer job; after having the problems I've been having with this car, feel much more safe and sane having Keith here with me! He helped me last year change out the motor mounts, the man definitely knows his stuff.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

use an air gun.......zap it's off

Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
use an air gun.......zap it's off
Thats how I do it, using an impact wrench. Same with removing the flywheel.