Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

+2
I'd also opt for an aftermarket neutral balance flex plate, TCI makes a nice one. Verify that the assembly is neutral balanced and move on. That flex plate looks like swiss cheese plus the missing tooth makes it a crap-shoot, TIG welded up or not........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-11-2022, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The fine scuff marks are from me, making sure the damage is below. Yes, ultrafine Scotchbrite and back edge of a no11 Exacto blade to ensure no high spots. I didn't file or take anything off, just confirming not raised. Yes, crank spins smooth, no marking of lower bearing shell after test spin. 0.0025-0.00275 Main clearances. No 1 and 2 slugs are in the hole now too

"If it ain't broke, modify somethin till it is"
Old 06-12-2022, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

jeez...dude you are just having 1 hell of a time with this thing!!! I feel ya....Unfortunately the "balance" thing is a shop specific thing I have come to find out. I had my NEW EAGLE crank balanced per MY bob-weight numbers. Shop said I need your flywheel, balancer, bolts also!!!..... My reply was not very well recieved...NO YOU DON"T! It will and SHOULD be neutral balanced. Well it seems the EAGLE catalog (yeah they PRINT one) states EXTERNALLY BALANCED. Depends on which print date you look at. Owner stated he PREFERS to only do external but would balance my crank per my numbers and would be glad to CHECK it WITH my other stuff to be sure they are all neutral!!! Seems the eagle crank target bob wieght is 2280....my stuff came in at 2285 so wasn't much work to be done.