Old 03-28-2024, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Radio recommendations

So I got my 81 on the road and one thing I got to do (among some other little things) is get a radio in the dash. It is out of a 77 if that matters. It is not cut out for an aftermarket radios, nor will I cut it! I've got some good quality speakers in there. I don't necessarily care about CD changers, or anything crazy. Just a good quality radio, I guess an i phone plug would be good but not necessary. Just two knobs and some tunes. Are the ones that Ames sells any good? Any other recommendations?

Old 03-28-2024, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Being out of a 77 does matter in that the radio opening is smaller than 78-81 so radios are not interchangeable between the two groups of years. That said, I’m not sure what;, if any aftermarket 2 knob fit in the opening..

What’s your budget? I do recall there is one modern radio which resembles the factory one for 70-77 that is like $600 or more. There is also another similar radio for about $400 that resembles a factory but has a digital readout.

I feel like I’ve seen another, such as retro sound, that may have been used but I can’t recall for sure.

Another option is block the opening and install a modern single DIN in the glovebox or console map pocket. I ran one in the map pocket for a few years till I reinstalled a factory setup.

Yet another option is again block the opening and install an amp that is Bluetooth enabled to stream from your phone. You’d lack radio stations that way of course but you could probably find many on apps such as iHeart radio.

I actually run a factory stereo and console mounted 8 track player through a BT enabled amp which drives 4 modern speakers. It’s not a perfect setup but plenty good for me.

Brian
Old 03-29-2024, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

I removed the front of the factory radio and reinstalled it in the dash. My go-to is a 2-piece marine radio. I mount the amp/tuner under the passenger seat and mount the control head in the console. The marine radios usually have AM, FM stereo, Bluetooth, USB, weather channel, and are XM ready, so there are many choices and they are easy to use. I put over 3500 songs on a USB stick and it just plays all the time. Or I can use my cellphone as a tuner for streaming.

I've built a lot of cars over the years, and the aftermarket factory look-a-like radios can be finicky to use when they try to make a dozen functions work from 4 knobs or they put a digital readout behind the manual dial decal. I installed one of the $600 radios a couple years ago and although it looked fantastic, the functionality was not user friendly IMO and the radio lost it's memory everytime the battery was disconnected.

This is our '69 that I did.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_145640abc.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	631303  

Old 03-29-2024, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great points on a marine radio! never thought of that. being an old guy that hates technology i have been looking at just a speaker to throw in the back seat and stream my phone. i just dont know how to get sounds on my phone yet..LOL

Old 03-29-2024, 04:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
I removed the front of the factory radio and reinstalled it in the dash. My go-to is a 2-piece marine radio. I mount the amp/tuner under the passenger seat and mount the control head in the console. The marine radios usually have AM, FM stereo, Bluetooth, USB, weather channel, and are XM ready, so there are many choices and they are easy to use. I put over 3500 songs on a USB stick and it just plays all the time. Or I can use my cellphone as a tuner for streaming.

I've built a lot of cars over the years, and the aftermarket factory look-a-like radios can be finicky to use when they try to make a dozen functions work from 4 knobs or they put a digital readout behind the manual dial decal. I installed one of the $600 radios a couple years ago and although it looked fantastic, the functionality was not user friendly IMO and the radio lost it's memory everytime the battery was disconnected.

This is our '69 that I did.

Not to hijack but do you have any pictures or further info on the “$600” radio? I’ve heard they aren’t the greatest but never experienced one and have always been curious WHAT issues there were

Brian
Old 03-29-2024, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put a Apple car play radio in the glove box.If you have a Iphone everything will play thru it,Sirius,you music,Seri.You wont be able to see the map feature.Tom

Old 03-29-2024, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have a budget. I'll spend a grand or more I do not care/ Holy crap so many ides. Not big on the idea of putting anything in the glove box or console. I did that on my 69 and it was a pain in the ass. Looking for something as simple as it gets. They got those AAR at Ames too. Perhaps I'll dig a little deeper here, I ways hated car systems. Keep em coming though!!

Old 03-29-2024, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With Bluetooth things became a lot more simple.Tom

Old 03-30-2024, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 what Tom says.

Jim Shepard in Arizona rebuilt and added Bluetooth to my 68 AM/FM. Very quick turn-around and reasonably priced.

Jim is a member here and this is one of his posts;

Hey Poncho enthusiasts, I am repairing and restoring 64-77 Buick Olds Pontiac Delco radios and 8 track players full time now. I just retired after 39 years as an electrical engineer in the semiconductor industry. I know these analog radios very well. I offer 7-10 day turnaround on most repairs with a 10 year warranty on all work performed. I have my own lab here at my house in Scottsdale and over 150 delco AM and AMFM radios if anyone needs a restored radio. I can also add bluetooth to any radio that works well and keeps the original fit and function and electronics of the stock radio. Send me a message and I'll get you in the que for a fast repair. Thanks, Jim

Jim Shepard
11052 East Butherus Drive
Scottsdale Az 85255
480-235-1964 call or text and I'll respond within 24 hours.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 03-31-2024, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
X2 what Tom says.

Jim Shepard in Arizona rebuilt and added Bluetooth to my 68 AM/FM. Very quick turn-around and reasonably priced.

Hey Poncho enthusiasts, I am repairing and restoring 64-77 Buick Olds Pontiac Delco radios and 8 track players full time now. I just retired after 39 years as an electrical engineer in the semiconductor industry. I know these analog radios very well. I offer 7-10 day turnaround on most repairs with a 10 year warranty on all work performed. I have my own lab here at my house in Scottsdale and over 150 delco AM and AMFM radios if anyone needs a restored radio. I can also add bluetooth to any radio that works well and keeps the original fit and function and electronics of the stock radio. Send me a message and I'll get you in the que for a fast repair. Thanks, Jim

Jim Shepard
Scottsdale Az 85255
Great!! Thank you!

Old 04-01-2024, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

since you have an earlier dash, I would not advocate spending too much money on a correct radio for that dash;
Instead, I'd suggest looking at any two post radio that will fit without modifying the dash.

You can always add a 'redi-rad' if you want the ability to play from your phone ect through the radio.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-01-2024, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do if I got a say 76 redeye, is that possible to put blue tooth on? Sorry huys I clueless on this. I did this car primarily for the wife to drive, I honestly could care less about a radio. I have three radios all am in my other stuff.

Old 04-05-2024, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a nice 78 up am/fm 8track up for sale. You can send it out , for $65 the guy puts a plug w/ a pig tail you can hide somewhere. Plug your phone in. XM, yada yada.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 04-05-2024, 10:31 AM

Me and a few buddies have the Retrosound Hermosa and pretty happy with them. All my songs on a USB stick, blue tooth streaming as well as audio calls (comes with a microphone that attaches to the sunvisor).

I have a old Sony KRC two knobber in my lemans that controls a CD juke in my lemans, I am pulling that this year and replacing with a Retrosound.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Do if I got a say 76 redeye, is that possible to put blue tooth on? Sorry huys I clueless on this. I did this car primarily for the wife to drive, I honestly could care less about a radio. I have three radios all am in my other stuff.
Yes, Bluetooth can be added to a factory radio

Brian
Old 04-05-2024, 12:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went overboard with mine but my dash was already hacked and I wanted android auto and a backup camera.

My buddy with the 80 T/A went with this one and it looks good:

https://customautosoundmfg.com/resul...&autoYear=1980

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	631577  

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 04-06-2024, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the 78 radio won’t fit in a 77 (or earlier) dash;
the opening in the dash is too small (height wise).

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-06-2024, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
X2 what Tom says.

Jim Shepard
Scottsdale Az 85255
Great tip Been following this thread as my 78 was delivered without a radio. Hooked up with Jim and he's getting me one outfitted with Bluetooth. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ckaram68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I have the 77 and lower dash hole. I has a rectangle in the middle but then has a small rectangle below it that connected to the to the big one top. I gotta post a picture. But king buzzo it does not seem that radio would fit the dash.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My buddy put it in an 80 t/a, not sure if different but they have a few different solutions if you plug yer year into the site.

Sent from my Surface Duo using Tapatalk

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350