THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If fitting golf clubs is one of your criteria you should be shopping a new Buick. Your hot rod days are over.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
If fitting golf clubs is one of your criteria you should be shopping a new Buick. Your hot rod days are over.
I’m covered in tattoos and currently wearing a Slayer shirt. I also enjoy golf and Walt Disney World. Idk what to tell you. I’m a complicated individual.

Fwiw it’s not a criteria. You can’t put them in a 911. It just bothered me that the trunk in a Camaro was so useless it wouldn’t fit them. They fit in my 1st Gen. They fit in my 3rd Gen. The new Camaros are just useless to the point that I would much rather have a corvette.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My pick would be a used Mercedes CLS63 AMG 2012-2015. I love the body lines and they are surprisingly fast. I planned on buying one this year but used car prices are out of control and I don’t want to over pay.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 12-02-2021, 02:56 AM
Senior Chief

If you are looking to keep cost down I'd look at a Porsche Boxter, they're not terribly quick but are fun and I found it comfortable enough to sit in.

Another car might be a BMW Z4 convertible. The cost of maintenancce on a BMW or Porsche should be similar (it is over here).

Old 12-02-2021, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Couldn't disagree more.

I've gone golfing with my clubs in the GTO and the Camaro. I enjoy driving these cars and I enjoy the game of golf.

Nothing wrong with having multiple interests.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good options mentioned above; I've also been looking at Panamera's and Vipers. Viper is probably out of the budget, how about an M5? I've owned a few and they're a blast to drive.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:54 AM

Pontiac G8 GT….take a ride in one, you wont be disappointed

The Following User Says Thank You to 69hardtop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
My pick would be a used Mercedes CLS63 AMG 2012-2015. I love the body lines and they are surprisingly fast. I planned on buying one this year but used car prices are out of control and I don’t want to over pay.

Thats funny, I was looking at those or something close to it last night after I defended the good name of Arnold Palmer.

I was originally looking at the SL 65 AMG with the V12, but that lead me to the SL 63 AMGs were which far more plentiful and more in the target budget for me. Problem with them is they are roadsters with no place to take my mutt.

So I would probably be in the market for one of the benz sedans if I were to buy one. But I like the front end on the 63, 65 and SL 500 cars. Looks more race car and less stock broker.

I have looked at the BMWs. There is a nice M6 for sale locally that is in my budget. One of my good friends is a huge BMW guy, has like 7 of them. So it would be nice to have the expert help, but they just dont really excite me. What I said about the CTS-V, is X2 or 3 for the BMWs. They mostly just dont look exciting. Do I notice an M car? Sure. Does my girlfriend? Absolutely not.

To give you a peek behind the curtain, the Galaxie was our cruising car. Her and I would get in, grab the dog and just go for drives, 3-4 times a week. And because it got attention everywhere, I got to row through the 4 speed it felt like an event. Like a real activity. So thats what Im looking to replace first and foremost. Just with a bit more comfort and driveability.

Getting in my BMW sedan feels more like a commute and less like an activity. Thats why I said, exotic is probably my first want here.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
The boxters, Cayman, and 911s through 2008 all had the same general engine architecture. Except for the Turbo cars which I sadly cant afford. So the IMS and bore scoring are a potential issue on all of them, but its likely overblown. Real numbers seems to indicate it probably affects 1-5% of them. The IMS as a mentioned is often taken care of already, Bore Scoring I think is actually the potentially scarier issue. 2009 alleviated those issues, which is part of the reason for the price jump.

That and making sure I avoid a car optioned with the carbon fiber brakes that cost like 15k to replace. Thats on the Panameras too.

I like the 2014 Cayman S cars, but similar to the 2009 911 price jump, the next gen Caymans jump to mostly over 40k. Also no place for the pup to ride.
I've owned a couple 997s and highly recommend them. Wonderful and bulletproof cars, other than a few well known weaknesses. Obviously you know about the IMS concerns. Many cars have already had it addressed, and of course the newer they are the less an issue it is. I personally got frustrated at how often I had to replace the TPMS sensors in the wheels. About every two years... although it didn't help that mine were driven infrequently in the winter and stored in a relatively cold garage.

Don't worry about the PCCBs if you're only planning to drive on the street. I had them on one of mine and loved them. Beyond the benefit of the substantial reduction in rotating/sprung mass, they will last 100K miles easily, and produce zero dust on the wheels. The standard iron rotors / pads are the opposite -- wheels covered with brake dust within 20 miles of washing them. It's likely most of the cars fitted with PCCBs will be outside your target price range right now, unless they are high mile cars (and then you might be getting close to that big service bill).

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to stand out in that price range... buy a Lotus. All Lotus are known for superb handling and they're rare enough to have a level of exclusivity that the mainstream brands can't touch. The Esprits have supercar/exotic looks and can be had in the range you mentioned. Even the twin turbo V8 cars from the 2000s can be had around 40 or so. Or if you want newer, you can get an Elise/Exige for the top of your budget.
I was looking for an Esprit earlier this year when ended up buying this 1985 Excel. This model was never imported to the US so they're really rare here- like somewhere between 12-20 in this country. Talk about an attention getter! It's also right hand drive so that ads to the "exotic" factor. It's not super quick, but the handling is sublime, and the twin cam motor screams up tp 7000 rpm. It is an absolute blast for swift back road drives and always puts a smile on my face.

You could buy a Porsche, but they are way overpriced these days, and to be quite honest, they are a dime a dozen- at least around here. And BMW? You might as well be driving a Honda Accord!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8A501FA-B913-43B1-86C6-E0F97BE32114.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	579026   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5403033-CAD1-4322-9EAF-EFF76844254A.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	579027  

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 12-02-2021, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I loved my CTS V. The smell of that leather. Such a sweet car. Mercedes E55 are pretty sweet also.

Old 12-02-2021, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a huge fan of German cars. We've had a bunch in my family, all BMWs and Audi's. The hype over German cars unreliability is largely unfounded. If you take care of them, they're fine.

I'd definitely look at a 911. The styling is timeless, and I feel like the newer liquid cooled cars will start to climb in value rapidly soon.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 12-03-2021, 04:31 AM
Senior Chief

I see you want to bring the dog then yes a two seater is a problem, how about a Porsche Taycan.. Space for the dog & more of a sports car then a panamanera or that ugly Merc pictured above..

I secretly would really like a late 80's 911 myself with the big ass wing on the back but they are too expensive for me..

Old 12-03-2021, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
I'm a huge fan of German cars. We've had a bunch in my family, all BMWs and Audi's. The hype over German cars unreliability is largely unfounded. If you take care of them, they're fine.
Agree with the unreliability comment.

HOWEVER..they are a bitch to work on compared to Asian and US makes when the stuff breaks or even needs basic service. To get to a faulty component, you must remove several seemingly unrelated assemblies to get to the fasteners to remove said component...

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What about an alpha romeo Guilia? Definitely get noticed- different, cool snd in the price range.

Not as fast as the other models mentioned but I’ve heard they drive great if you get the right model.

Throw on some big wheels and roll. I would actually consider white with bright red wheels and red interior (If available).

Old 12-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Agree with the unreliability comment.

HOWEVER..they are a bitch to work on compared to Asian and US makes when the stuff breaks or even needs basic service. To get to a faulty component, you must remove several seemingly unrelated assemblies to get to the fasteners to remove said component...

True. 10lbs of chit in a 5lb bag lol

Still, once you get the hang of it, they're not bad. It's just following the proper order of operations.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So far I havent seen much to push me off of the 911 being my number 1. I wish they made a tick more power. Im still a hot rod buy at heart. I like a little bit of brutal grunt.

Those SL roadsters have a small backseat type storage area which might ride the dog pretty well with a bit of modification. She isnt huge, 32 lbs. They are growing on me some. The Sl63 AMG and SL550s.

My girl hates the CTS-Vs. Says they just look like a grandma car to her. Which while Im ultimately doing what I want, I would prefer something she is at least on board with in some capacity.

Im also still not ruling out the possibility of a restomod classic of some sort. LS/T56 swap and AC. Its just harder to shop for. You basically have to go through model to model. Pros and cons. Something with a bench seat would be better for the dog. But you are giving up some modern safety things like airbags, anti lock brakes etc. I already have some old rattle trap hot rods, so I am more leaning to something fun but still with those safety items.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would stay away from buying a restomod. I have yet to know anyone that buys a ‘cross country ready’ restomod that didn’t need extensive work to keep it functional

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son bought a low mileage 2009 M3. The n/a V8 redlines at 8300 rpm (what a beautiful sound) and has a 6 speed manual. Ask your BMW friend for a ride in one. I’m sure he has at least one if he’s into BMW’s. The used M3 market really hold their value too. Coupe, sedan or even convertible (heavier though) M3’s are available.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He does have an M3 but its a much earlier version. Most of his cars are like 1985-1995. He had a 2000s turbocharged 1 series that was fun. And a caged 80s model with a z4 engine swap that is like a go cart.