Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-20-2021, 02:47 PM

Default Front springs

Ok. Ive done something really stupid!!!
1969 firebird convertible. 2" lowered spindles. A few years ago I also cut 1 coil off the front springs. It still sat too high for my liking. I bought a set of tubular control arms but, as they weren't new, I don't know the brand.
When fitting the tubular control arms, as it still sat too high, I cut another coil off the springs. When i reassembled i noticed that the spring wasn't in the upper cup properly so I gave it a whack with a hammer and lump of wood, this settled the spring correctly but, upon lowering the car back to the ground it just went far too low and bottomed out. I have bought a new set of Moroso 47150-110 springs. These are full height but the car is still far too low to drive. What springs do I actually need to get it back to a reasonable ride height?

Old 08-20-2021, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Fits:

1955-57 Chevy 150 / 210 / BelAir, Small Block Chevy*
1967-69 Camaro / Firebird, Small Block Chevy*
1964-67 Chevelle / Malibu / Special / Skylark / GS / Regal / Cutlass / 442 / Tempest / LeMans / GTO, Small Block Chevy*

Above is your problem. That set of springs has probably 5-10 different part numbers combined into it. There's a massive difference in nose weight between these cars and their various engines.

The free length and spring rate of the spring is probably not adequate for a 69 bird with a full weight pontiac engine between the rails.

2" lowering is a decent bit for a bird and doing it with a drop spindle means you're not gaining the spring rate necessary to properly control the car at that ride height. As the car moves towards the ground, the spring rate necessary to keep it off the stops increases.

You've got two basic options here. You can go back to a standard height spindle and use the springs you have or some sort of drop spring. Or you can keep your drop spindle now and use a spring with added spring rate that is designed to be stock height.

This spring from DSE may fit the application https://www.detroitspeed.com/67-69-c...sbc-ls-031109p

It's really not meant again for the weight of a pontiac engine which could be a problem. What you might want to do is contact somebody like Global West or AFCO and see if you can get a spring that suits your needs made.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have done a little bit of research and found that moog 5244 is the correct spring for the '69 400. i have ordered a pair from rockauto. Ill see how they fits once arrived in UK and go from there. Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2021, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Start by putting in the stock spindle