The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-06-2004, 08:24 AM

I've read all the flor pan replacment posts, and they have been helpful. I have to tackle these before anything else on the car gets done.
I dont really want to do these myself as it will involve LH/RH full length pans, new seat brackets, and under rear seat pans.
?1. For those who did not do these themselves, what would a reasonable amount be to weld in each pan.
?2. One restoration shop quoted 500.00 perside.
i asked if it would be cheaper if i had already pulled tranny and grinded all seams and tunnel areas. What would be the best "state" of dissassembly to take the car to the shop to weld in these pans to make it cheaper and easier for them to to do. at this point the car in gutted inside except for dash and motor and tranny are still in so car is drivable.
thanks

Old 08-06-2004, 08:24 AM

I've read all the flor pan replacment posts, and they have been helpful. I have to tackle these before anything else on the car gets done.
I dont really want to do these myself as it will involve LH/RH full length pans, new seat brackets, and under rear seat pans.
?1. For those who did not do these themselves, what would a reasonable amount be to weld in each pan.
?2. One restoration shop quoted 500.00 perside.
i asked if it would be cheaper if i had already pulled tranny and grinded all seams and tunnel areas. What would be the best "state" of dissassembly to take the car to the shop to weld in these pans to make it cheaper and easier for them to to do. at this point the car in gutted inside except for dash and motor and tranny are still in so car is drivable.
thanks

Old 08-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FWIW, $500-1000 will buy a welder, a helmet and rent a tank.

I replaced full floor pan, cross bracing and trunk in my 68 GTO, and I had never welded before. It's a good place to learn, cause it doesn't show.
If you make a mistake, grind it off and try again. You get "do-overs" in this area, a luxury you don't have on that nice quarter panel.
When you're done you have learned a new skill, pride of ownership in the task, and a new welder!

Just my $.02

Regards,
Bob Trimpe

Old 08-06-2004, 09:50 AM

i hear ya, im leaning that way because i can expense the equipment through my business. in fact, i just ordered the pans from our host. ive read a few posts about people doing this with an 80 amp mig, but the posts dont say whether this was a line feed or not. i have a line feed arc welder, but i guessing that wont cut it... i know lincoln makes a couple of resonably priced ones.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can do it for way less than $1000. I agree with Bob it is a great place to start and also learn how to weld. You always have this site to caome back to and ask question.

I have done 2 full pan replacements....it is a piece of cake.

Troy

67 Nova
64 Nova
Old 08-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob hit the nail right on the head. Could not have said it better.

Alot of people here that have done it including myself that will give you tips, just ask. Learn something and do it yourself.

Bill

It is not a problem.... It is just a blood pressure monitor.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:48 PM

Yeah, just jump in and DO it. You've probably seen my floor replacement page in the archives, http://floorpans.pontiac455.com

I knew nothing going into the job, other than that I didn't wanna pay someone else to do it. Got a decent Lincoln MIG setup for $425 and got down to business. Like others have said, if you mess it up, just grind it down and start over again.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I decided to do it myself after getting a few quotes. (almost had heart failure) Bought a mig unit for $400 and practiced on similar guage sheet metal till I could run a good bead. Like every one has indicated this is the place to give it a shot. If you don't like the way it looks try again!

Old 08-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ditto to all the above and besides it is a good way to stay out of trouble. Oh, and very satisfying when you get finished. Full floor pans replaced and finishing under the rear seat pans now. irgoatmike

Old 08-07-2004, 07:21 AM

ok, ok, i'll do it....
i found out the lincoln wire feed i have can be converted to a gas mig anyways. so i dont have to by much. what type of wire did you guys use? the only welding i have ever done has been on angle iron for simple equipment frames.

also, when it comes time for the outer wheel houses, do rear quarters have to be removed, or can they be patched? on the car?

i'm so pumped today because the texans have thier first 04 scrimage, and that means football is here!!!

Old 08-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use .024 wire for all my welding, floor pans, 1/4 patchs, trunk pan etc. Get some old sheet metal and practice with it. Make sure the surface is to bare metal and the ground has good contact with bare metal, go slow and play with your settings.

I see no way to work on or replace the outer wheel house with out removing the 1/4 area unless you are just doing a small patch in the housing. If it is the entire housing you are replacing you are going to have to remove the area of the 1/4 around it at least.

Bill

It is not a problem.... It is just a blood pressure monitor.