67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-30-2002, 08:58 AM

I/m looking to have my bird bumpers replated. I am seeking advice as to who is a good plater for show quality bumpers. I have seen a few examples from some different so called replaters that were terrible. Chrome peeling and flaking, rust left on the back side, hammer marks where they straightened it, etc. I don't mind paying a premium price but I want a proffesional job . Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Kane

Old 06-30-2002, 08:58 AM

I/m looking to have my bird bumpers replated. I am seeking advice as to who is a good plater for show quality bumpers. I have seen a few examples from some different so called replaters that were terrible. Chrome peeling and flaking, rust left on the back side, hammer marks where they straightened it, etc. I don't mind paying a premium price but I want a proffesional job . Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Kane

Old 06-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Bud Lyons

STAY AWAY from Bumper Boys!!! On my front bumper the chrome flaked after 8 months. On the rear I have a spot that became discolored. Their guarantee is a joke. They are a very obnoxious bunch to deal with. If you want more info Email me.

Only two defining forces have ever offered their life for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
One for your soul; the other for your freedom
Old 06-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll second that about the bumper boys. Stay away, They are also very high

Old 06-30-2002, 09:44 PM

Here's another unhappy Bumper Boys customer. Took them 8 weeks for a promised two week job and the bumper came back with discolored spots and scratches. Money must be paid up front too, of course. Rather than wait another two months, I put it on and lived with it.

Kurt

Old 08-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Kane, good platers are hard to find. We have a plater out here in Jersey, he is not cheap but I have had good luck with them in the past, and they have been around for a long time. An important tip to any good bumper plating job is the preporation...I usually have my bumpers glass bead blasted on the inside to the outside edge ONLY, before they are re finished. This should be done before you go to any plater and helps stop the peeling problem so many people have. We pay a lot for show chrome, a little more for bead blasting is worth the price. If you need the name and want to send your bumpers this far let me know and I will give you the name, address & phone #. I bring all my parts to people in person as I do not trust shipping my part. There should be someone closer to you that can do the work properly if the preporation is done ahead of time. Hope this helps.
Carl

Old 08-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I purchased a "show chrome" rear bumber outright from Tri-City Plating in Tenn about five years ago for my '71 TA. Excellent finish, clean backside, and friendly folk. No complaints and was $250 delivered with no core. Whenever I need replating for anything I'll contact them first.

Tri-City Plating 1-800-251-7536 or 1-423-542-6532

DanC

1930 Ford Model A Coupe .. (original)
1994 Buick .."TowMaster" ...woody wagon
Old 08-05-2002, 03:13 AM
Senior Chief

WOW! I'm glad to hear from you guys about the Bumper Boyz. I was going to use them when I redo mine, I guess not now! They got a great write up in Rod&Custom years ago. Sad to hear that about them.

"It beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten"

Old 08-05-2002, 06:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pauls chrome in Pennsylvania . A little expensive but worth every penny .

Old 08-05-2002, 08:00 AM
Senior Chief

Anyone have the number for Paul's ?????

Old 08-05-2002, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to www.paulschrome.com

Old 08-05-2002, 11:38 AM

I called Paul's last summer to inquire about costs on a few items. Real nice guy on the phone, answered all my questions, was real pleasant. Haven't sent anything yet (lack of $$$), but I will when I am ready.

Old 08-05-2002, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used tri-city in Tenn. for my 61 Ventura Bumpers. They were finished in 1994 and still look show quality. These are big bumpers and they did an excellent job. I had straightened them, sandblasted the back side and fitted them to the car before sending them off so all they really had to do was strip them and rechrome